Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Not sure if its been said already, but I reckon we will pick up Billings if the Schultz trade falls through.

Might be a slight chance it could be both.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Pie-supporting journo Jay Clark reports the Pies' interest in Billings has cooled.
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Presti35 »

How things change in a couple of days.

We can only assume that all that talk regarding Max Holmes and Jhye Clarke has fizzled out to nothing. Their names have not even been mentioned since trade period opened. And with the way Geelong are carrying on about Ratogulea, who the hell has time to deal with them anyway?

Same goes for Bailey Smith. Lots of talk about a possible move from the Dogs leading up to trade period. Now nothing.

If Jack Billings is going to be an easy trade, then we should still go for it. But yes, I'd love to get the news that Schultz is a Magpie. Let's just hope its not to expensive of a trade. Bring back the 90's trading Freo. :lol:

I'd previously said I'd pass on Scott Lycett. But we do need to address our ruck depth. Let's keep an eye on this as Port are in the mix with a few clubs. If Lycett is delisted, he could be an option to cover that base. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ycett.html

I'd like to hear others opinions on Jackson Hately and Riley Bonner. Both have been delisted and can be rookie drafted. Duds? Potential studs?
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ately.html
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... onner.html

Remember to check these links for other DFA's:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ct_players
https://www.afl.com.au/news/retirements-and-delistings
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

K wrote:Pie-supporting journo Jay Clark reports the Pies' interest in Billings has cooled.
Sounds like they are confident of getting Schulz and holding back some splash for a key defender.
Flagpies
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Btw,
I expected this would be the year of the Big name Free Agent, GW I think did say last year we are better prepared salary cap wise in 23 ?
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:^
Most of the cream is in 24 though, evidently we are up to our elbows in Ben King.
Flagpies
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Kingsofclutch wrote:^
Well, he hasn't accepted a new deal yet. Everyone get out their Damian Hardwick voodoo dolls
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

Freo are playing this well, they know he’s worth more to us considering our window, unfortunately I fear we’ll have to hand over our F1 and 33, we would do the same if it was our player but in saying that will they accept that? Surely they don’t want our F1 and 19? If so I’d probably roll the dice and do it :(.
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

Marvelos wrote:Freo are playing this well, they know he’s worth more to us considering our window, unfortunately I fear we’ll have to hand over our F1 and 33, we would do the same if it was our player but in saying that will they accept that? Surely they don’t want our F1 and 19? If so I’d probably roll the dice and do it :(.
He's not worth a future first rounder so Freo cannot be that stubborn unless they want risk making themselves look completely unreasonable to other trade partners
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

jonmac1954 wrote:
themonk wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:I've always said I understand the allure of a top rank tall forward but I've never understood the belief by so many that they are essential.

1990 and 2023 are proof positive that this 'truism' is just a lie.

Neither flags were flukes.
Lynch & Reiwoldt, Cameron & Hawkins, Darling & Kennedy, Franklin & Roughead, Lynch & Brown, Cloke & Dawes.

Improves ones chances slightly, no?
No argument about big FF goal kickers mate - However there are certainly enough examples to prove that they aren't essential.
McStay made a difference in the preliminary and without Frampton to tie up Harris the Lions would likely have rebounded off the backline for 2-3 more goals and beaten us. Quite simply, you need talls, even if if they are not top tier
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

K wrote:Pie-supporting journo Jay Clark reports the Pies' interest in Billings has cooled.
I've been meaning to say - can we survive without his 0.3 goals a game? https://www.saints.com.au/players/723/jack-billings
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Newelly wrote:
Marvelos wrote:Freo are playing this well, they know he’s worth more to us considering our window, unfortunately I fear we’ll have to hand over our F1 and 33, we would do the same if it was our player but in saying that will they accept that? Surely they don’t want our F1 and 19? If so I’d probably roll the dice and do it :(.
He's not worth a future first rounder so Freo cannot be that stubborn unless they want risk making themselves look completely unreasonable to other trade partners
Any future pick is a bit of a gamble, so it’s not as easy to say he’s not worth a future. He will be if we should go back to back. Add in the two top twenty F / S next year ( Ashcroft and Camporeale ) and that pick would be out to pick #20 as a minimum anyway.
One of Collingwoods concerns about trading out our first round future pick is the little known rule that once you trade our your future first, you can’t trade out your future second or third round picks ( assuming you don’t have more than one of each, which currently we don’t ) Trading out your future first automatically reduces your trading currency, so the club will be working hard not to have to give it up. Freo virtually have no skin in this years draft courtesy of the Jackson trade. They will likely lose Henry and Schultz, so if they’re serious about rebuilding quickly, they should consider taking # 19 ( likely #23 on the night and # 39 ( or possibly marginally later ) All of a sudden, #23 and # 40 on the night for Schultz in a very speculative draft, looks like a good deal for Collingwood
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Newelly wrote:
I've been meaning to say - can we survive without his 0.3 goals a game? https://www.saints.com.au/players/723/jack-billings
To be fair on him you need to ignore his last two seasons which were riddled with injuries. Before that he was a very solid player..
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

think positive wrote: Get Schultz!
Give..... Us..... Schultz..... Now..... Getting..... Cranky........[align=center][/align]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.