Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

If we get a second for Adams and trade our first for Schultz, I'd say that'd be a great bit of business.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Newelly
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Deja Vu wrote:Elliott is safe as he plays more of the traditional full forward role. I can’t see us trading Ginni as he’s still young and I think Fly isn’t finished with him yet.

Effectively it’s Schulz in for Adams which isn’t a bad move as Lachie is a legitimate HFF/pressure forward. Can see Bobby and Beau playing more time up the wings
Schulz kicked 1.4 goals per game with the average Dockers midfield and Ginnivan was only 0.9 per game with our stellar midfield. Also, I'm not convinced Jack will fill out much more than what we currently see.

Back to Schulz - he could be a suitable replacement for Elliott who was showing signs of fatigue/injury in the grand final and possibly only has a season or 2 left at best. Elliott has been great for us but I imagine his injury concerns have taken their toll on him and MIGHT lead to a somewhat premature retirement.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

mudlark wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:Schultz is interesting only in that who does he push out of the forward line
Ginnivan. I reckon his papers are marked and was lucky to play in the Granny.
I think Ginnivan's minivan is set to hit the road with a few stops at the races on the way out of town. Well, I hope he stops at the races as we fans might take it personally if he only does it before a grand final.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Fremantle’s General Manager of Football Peter Bell says the Dockers will listen to any trade options Collingwood float for small forward Lachie Schultz after his shock trade request, but added

“there’s a really strong possibility a deal isn’t able to be struck”.

AFL Trades: Fremantle Dockers General Manager Peter Bell says club will listen to Lachie Schultz trade offers.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/fremantle- ... ral_thread
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Fremantle’s General Manager of Football Peter Bell says the Dockers will listen to any trade options Collingwood float for small forward Lachie Schultz after his shock trade request, but added

“there’s a really strong possibility a deal isn’t able to be struck”.

AFL Trades: Fremantle Dockers General Manager Peter Bell says club will listen to Lachie Schultz trade offers.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/fremantle- ... ral_thread
Taylor Adams trade hopefully provides some options. Not pleased as punch to see Taylor go but that almost appears to be a fair accompli.
Last edited by Newelly on Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 95 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Getting Schultz would be a great get. It suggests to me that Ginni may find himself elsewhere in 2024. Despite the measured comments from Fly and Ned, I believe the club was absolutely furious with Ginni's trip to the races GF eve.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Cam »

RudeBoy wrote:Getting Schultz would be a great get. It suggests to me that Ginni may find himself elsewhere in 2024. Despite the measured comments from Fly and Ned, I believe the club was absolutely furious with Ginni's trip to the races GF eve.
Schultz is a gun. Tough and skilled. You don't just nominate a club without talking to them. Ginni has Jaidyn Stephenson mark II all over him. I hope I'm wrong.
Get back on top.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I just don't have it in me to focus the draft. Still watching our grand final highlights! Any of our esteemed watchers got a quick overview in their heads including a sense of the strategy here for the Pies, and likely outcomes?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

We nearly had a GF wrenched away from us by a team with 3 small forwards so not sure he needs to push anyone out. Btw, I don't consider Elliott a small, he plays medium and is more a lead mark type. Could probably say the same for Hill
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by piffdog »

On the news this morning of Murphy having to face the potential of forced retirement (like Paddy McCartin), it would be good to see us focus on a potential replacement defender - especially the dour Presti type who is fearless and can play a great game without having too many touches. Perhaps this could be Frampton if needed?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Cam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Getting Schultz would be a great get. It suggests to me that Ginni may find himself elsewhere in 2024. Despite the measured comments from Fly and Ned, I believe the club was absolutely furious with Ginni's trip to the races GF eve.
Schultz is a gun. Tough and skilled. You don't just nominate a club without talking to them. Ginni has Jaidyn Stephenson mark II all over him. I hope I'm wrong.
Ginni’s obviously still a kid and has a lot of life to experience and maturing to do. Some kids need support rather than pressure, others just thrive. Those quality smalls are hard to find Elliot is close to the end. Hill in his prime. Ginni has a lot of potential and worth persevering but will need some time to grow and likely make more mistakes along the way.

Schultz has the Hunger though, you can see it and would be a great get. Hope Howe continues to wear his sleeve next year and would be funny to see Schultz with his armguard alongside
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
warburton lad
Been liked: 55 times

Post by warburton lad »

Elliott should get at least 2024 as a first choice forward.
Hill is a lock for quite a few years yet
McCreery will be added to midfield rotations (in bursts)
Ginnivan needs to muscle-up and work on his pace but with Elliott nearer the end of his career, Ginnivan stays- he lights up the team (and crowd) like the great neon-Leon Davis used to...
Harvey Harrison (named as an emergency for the GF) is highly rated as a future pressure forward with excellent kicking skills- watch him become a regular moving forward.

Schulz would be a wonderful addition as a pressure forward who hits the scoreboard 'Papley-lite' (can also play on ball)

Murphy- health is number one priority (our players are human beings, not chattels- the doctors opinions are critical to his future). Is it possible that Murphy plays with a helmet???

Frampton can partially fill the absence of Murphy, but is a downgrade.

Adams- he will certainly be missed during the tough matches and in the middle of winter where he is a great in-and-under warrior, but a reasonable pick will ease the pain of losing a club leader. Macrae, McInnes, Carmichael , Ed Allen al get their chance to grow and develop at the top level if Adams goes.

Will Kelly must come in and play as a tall wingman (for older Nicksters think Francis Bourke and Dick Clay- tall and mobile wingman who owned the wings of the MCG in a great era for the Tigers...)

Kreuger is a definite wildcard at centre half back or Centre half forward- a big, mobile unit with a thumping kick

Begg and Steele will continue to develop their skills in the VFL- Begg's four goals resting forward against a solid Richmond defence in the wildcard final augurs well for his future prospects.

Steene will benefit from a strong summer or two building his physique in the gym...

Floreat Pica folks.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
warburton lad
Been liked: 55 times

Post by warburton lad »

BenBronx wrote:Geelong great Tom Hawkins is still some ways apart from agreeing to a new contract with the club, according to former Cats assistant and player Josh Jenkins.

Hawkins, 35, is out of contract, and while he wants to play on in 2024, is yet to sign on for an 18th AFL season.

Hawkins has kicked 781 goals from 347 games in the blue and white hoops.

Is he someone you'd like to see at the Pies?
I would take Tom Hawkins in a heart beat- even if he only lasted one year, but helped get us a flag- for God's sake get him.
How cool would it be if he kicked the winner against the Cats???
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Happy for the Club to pursue Schultz, if he's who they want to bring in. I think, though, that people need to be a bit slower to assign Jack to the scrapheap of life - Schultz is 5 years older than Ginni, has never kicked more than 33 goals in a season (2023) - Ginni kicked 40 in a season before he turned 20 - and averages 1.1 goals per game over 4 full seasons (compared to Ginni's 1.4). Schultz could be a good addition - but he might be a replacement for Ginni in the same way that Darcy Moore replaced Travis Cloke.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by piffdog »

So the chat on the trade radio this morning is that Schultz will require our first round pick (obviously #18, but will more likely be #20-21 by the time the bids are matched etc.

Seems like a lot for a guy who has been on Freo's rookie list for ages and only triggered an extension beyond this year in the middle of the season.

Having said that, I think he would be a good get for us. Going to be interesting to see how the next couple weeks plays out for us. We know Adams wants to go (maybe we get a pick in the #30s for him?).

I don't know where the Ginnivan chat is coming from (I guess we'll see), but I would prefer him to stay and all parties continue to improve and "grow" to quote the coach. As I have said before, I think the fans love him, but the challenge for clubs is that when they are considering these things, they are never able to tell their side of the story. Hope he stays
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...