Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

Yep just been mentioned on Channel 9 news.

Freo didn’t see it coming
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

He will complement our current forward line.
Look for McCreery to play more midfield.
Love this move.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

inxs88 wrote:
mattdally wrote:Lachie Schultz has now requested a trade to the Pies.
Would be a very good pick up in my view. Let's see what the Dockers ask for in return.
He comes for "free' as he was previously de-listed so that is a huge bonus! He is unfashionable but hugely effective. Despite Taylor Adams effectiveness, Lachie shall be an excellent long-term upgrade. 33 goals this year and 50 inside 50 tackles this year plus durable playing 23 matches in 2022 and 2023. He finished 5th and 6th in best and fairest too.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/players/ ... ie-schultz

RECRUITED FROM
Moama (NSW)/Bendigo U18/Williamstown (VFL)

Ah, seems he is an ex-vic, and not a W.A. lad as I first thought, so if he wants to come back to a Vic based team, then I for one say GET HIM FFS!!

This would be a major coup if he is indeed out of contract?

Make it happen Wrighty!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

mattdally wrote:Mitch Cleary has said we're strongly interested in trading for Lachie Schultz from Freo.
contracted until end of 2024 apparently; reckon this will play out as brutally as the Adams scenario...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Schultz is a serious talent. Finally a small defensive forward who actually kicks goals. He will be a massive beneficiary of our quick ball movement too.
Assuming the trade goes through, our forward line has just become potent.
He won’t have made this decision overnight, so I’m inclined to think this was on the cards long before the Adams request.
Good call Pies2016. Great pressure inside 50 forward with both offensive and defensive skills.
Yep. I was thinking Billings would be a good pickup, but Schulz is clearly better.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Not out of contract. Has one year to go
BenBronx

Post by BenBronx »

MAKE ME A PIE: DOCKERS FORWARD REQUESTS TRADE TO COLLINGWOOD
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/09/ ... llingwood/

Fremantle forward Lachie Schultz has requested a trade to Collingwood, according to SEN’s Sam Edmund.

Schultz hit a 12-month contract trigger this season which ties him to the club until the end of 2024 but is an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season having previously delisted by Fremantle.

The 25-year-old kicked 33 goals from 23 games in 2023. He has kicked 101 goals from 90 appearances overall for the Dockers.

Schultz has previously had interest from Victorian clubs and knocked back interest from Hawthorn in 2021.

The small forward finished equal-sixth in Fremantle’s best and fairest count behind only Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw, Luke Ryan, Luke Jackson and Hayden Young.

Kane Cornes believes Schultz would be a huge loss for Fremantle as he considers the forward the club's most impactful player inside 50.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Schultz is interesting only in that who does he push out of the forward line
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
BenBronx

Post by BenBronx »

Geelong great Tom Hawkins is still some ways apart from agreeing to a new contract with the club, according to former Cats assistant and player Josh Jenkins.

Hawkins, 35, is out of contract, and while he wants to play on in 2024, is yet to sign on for an 18th AFL season.

Hawkins has kicked 781 goals from 347 games in the blue and white hoops.

Is he someone you'd like to see at the Pies?
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Always a bit open slather Monday- Wednesday or trade week most deals get done later in the week anyway
Always a bit of a frenzy Monday
Always fun tho
I get more interest in the trade then the draft
After trade week I switch off until January
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

If he does dislodge one of our forwards the the one pushed out has to push back in

That’s the way it works. Oh and Jamie Elliott gives up some years on Sergant. Shultz
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies2016 wrote:Schultz is a serious talent. Finally a small defensive forward who actually kicks goals. He will be a massive beneficiary of our quick ball movement too.
Assuming the trade goes through, our forward line has just become potent.
He won’t have made this decision overnight, so I’m inclined to think this was on the cards long before the Adams request.
If he arrives, whom would you see as placing more pressure on, Ginni or Elliot?
I suspect an ageing Elliot, but last time I thought an ageing player was on the way out, he is now sitting on 309 games and kicked a match winning goal in a GF.
I won't be surprised if Elliott calls time though.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

And that’s a part of our game that’s the weakest. Sure we scored some amazing goals in GF but H&A games we don’t consistently hence the close wins

And he can line up on Captain Hogan and that klutz will know nothing
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Schultz is an AFL player, very efficient and effective. I have always noticed he contributes.

Not Xfactor, not a big name, but a good cog in a mean machine, for want of a better description.

I think Fly would love him on the list.

We had only a few injuries to our smaller top 22 this year. Not a typical injury run. I dont think we would have to worry about finding a spot.

Tay is already out, so there is one short already.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

BenBronx wrote:MAKE ME A PIE: DOCKERS FORWARD REQUESTS TRADE TO COLLINGWOOD
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/09/ ... llingwood/

Fremantle forward Lachie Schultz has requested a trade to Collingwood, according to SEN’s Sam Edmund.

Schultz hit a 12-month contract trigger this season which ties him to the club until the end of 2024 but is an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season having previously delisted by Fremantle.

The 25-year-old kicked 33 goals from 23 games in 2023. He has kicked 101 goals from 90 appearances overall for the Dockers.

Schultz has previously had interest from Victorian clubs and knocked back interest from Hawthorn in 2021.

The small forward finished equal-sixth in Fremantle’s best and fairest count behind only Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw, Luke Ryan, Luke Jackson and Hayden Young.

Kane Cornes believes Schultz would be a huge loss for Fremantle as he considers the forward the club's most impactful player inside 50.
Just to unpack the above in terms of trade outcomes. Schultz would need to be a trade if the deal was to be done during this current trade window.
The difficulty the Dockers face is that he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2024 and that the compensation would be minimal as compared to doing a trade with a club who wants him now. Collingwood have a slight upper hand in this scenario but he won’t be coming to the club for peanuts during this trade period. Conversely, if the Dockers choose to play hard ball and the deal doesn’t get done, he could still potentially come to us for nothing during the 2024 trade period. Personally, the sooner we get this bloke in black and white, the better.