#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Everything indicated it was a selection decided on match-ups. If Spargo was playing, I reckon Noble gets named.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

K wrote:On one of the longest games streaks in the AFL. (Of course, Crisp leads.)

Most consecutive AFL games (current)

Jack Crisp (Collingwood) - 210
Christian Petracca (Melbourne) - 129
Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs) - 119*
Charlie Cameron (Brisbane) - 114
Callum Wilkie (St Kilda) - 107
Oliver Florent (Sydney) - 91
Liam Baker (Richmond) - 85
John Noble (Collingwood) - 82
Ben Keays (Adelaide) - 82

(afl.com.au)

[*Macrae's streak ends this week due to concussion.]
So unless there's late drama Johnny's streak ends at 83.

burnsy17 wrote:...
Moore, Murph and Beau are all walk up starts, ...
Not so clear Beau is... But that's a topic for another thread. (Couple of weeks ago, Luke Hodge voted for Ginnivan over Beau. Goals over "pressure", he said.)
Meredith1965

Where to for John Noble ?

Post by Meredith1965 »

Sorry mods, I searched but could not find the #9 thread…

I would be interested in other posters’ views on where the last few weeks leave John Noble ? In his shoes, I would be shattered and feeling a bit “used” by my coach. He was good enough to play every game this year, then swallowed the bitterest pill.

Adams and McStay were through injury - it is harder to wear the “not quite good enough” vest, especially when he has been a great contributor in several games this year.

Is the issue his lack of overhead marking, inability to stick tackles, disposal ?

Can he reinvent himself as a midfielder or a small forward in Ginnivan’s role ? Or is he destined to be a fringe player ? Should we expect him to request a trade ?
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Could he be a winger? Good endurance, more of an outside role?

I wouldn't prescribe to the 'used' theory. Someone had to miss out as we got to the end of the season and better players were fit. We don't know if there's something in his game he has been asked to work on and hasnt quite nailed.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

I’d play him as a defensive small forward. His mistakes won’t give up goals in our defence and he’d create headaches for the opposition defenders.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I just rewatched the game we played vs Brisbane in Rd 22. I hadn’t watched it since as it was not pretty from a Collingwood pov but now I can watch it without vinegar.

I had forgotten that Noble kicked a brilliant goal in the first quarter. He kicked a great goal against Adelaide. He and Hill running back at pace into the 50 would be quite a combination.
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Devastating for John but I don't think he needs to change. He was unlucky.
All of our small defenders were injury free and available. We had more defenders available than positions in defense. The best defense in the league. One guy was always going to be the unlucky one to miss out.
Side by side.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Maybe a future 2nd round draft pick in the 30's might be the best outcome. Hard to see him being first 23 selected next year if we are to blood Allan, Ryan, Harrison and McInnes etc... in-addition to the likely return of Adams and McStay.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

i really hope not, id love to see him get a shot in our team.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

The best outcome is for Ginny to remain at Collingwood, have a full uninterrupted preseason and have a great season next year. I have full faith in McRea’s ability to harness lost sheep back into the flock and bring out the best in them. The rest of the options are limited to the above scenario not working and the club making the most out of the situation to benefit them.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Not sure he can get over the fact that Fly didn't trust him in finals. Probably needs to look elsewhere.
kill for collingwood!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Handy depth player at worst
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

In hindsight would have Noble done better than Ginnivan in the finals team? I doubt he would have done any worse and he has the advantage of extra pace compared to Ginnivan.
Hence, I'd persist with Noble but try to get him into the team as a gut running defensive forward.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

"John Noble goal vs Adelaide Crows multi-call (AFL Nation/ABC/MMM/Five aa)":

https://twitter.com/laceoutofficial/sta ... 1738046465
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange