Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Yes, Colingwood FC has made a tweet on X. Pat Lipinski will be the sub. Final team announced at 6:20 p m
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Hiss wrote:I am starting a celebration drink tomorrow. It’s ours in 2023. Magpies fans should now join me in a celebratory toast to our awesome Victory. Flagpies. Floreat Pica
What???
What are you drinking, Hiss???

Maaaate, Corio 5 star whiskey, the Geelong blended special, what else. :P
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Magpietothemax wrote:^Yes, Colingwood FC has made a tweet on X. Pat Lipinski will be the sub. Final team announced at 6:20 p m
Hmm potentially not the most impactful sub I think. What does everyone else think?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
blackandwhite4life

Post by blackandwhite4life »

By the time he comes on, the game will be ours!
Hearing the 'Black & White Army' roar is the greatest sound in the world.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

A sub made with the weather in mind I reckon. Come on in the 2nd half to provide some run
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:^Yes, Colingwood FC has made a tweet on X. Pat Lipinski will be the sub. Final team announced at 6:20 p m
Hmm potentially not the most impactful sub I think. What does everyone else think?
Perfect. Ginni has been a poor choice of sub in the first two games. We have struggled to score and then when he's come on, we've been mostly in a defensive mindset.

So play Ginni from the start and leave fresh legs for later in the game when they will be needed.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Lions have played just 2 games at the MCG this season for 2 losses. It does matter.
If Pies bring their usual heat we will win rather comfortably in the end.
Est. 2002
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

The so called ludicrous heat factor being badied around by delusional Lions and Bears fans does not faze us, fact is the heat in Qld is humid, sticky , ours is much drier, dry, and a weather expert on radio today, said it is a real difference. Most Lions games at the Gabba are played at night anyway, and Qld does have a mild winter, our boys are highly trained athletes, a bit of hot weather wont faze us, at all.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Oh yeah, Laurie
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

LaurieHolden wrote:ps' if it is permitted and his hamstring would stand up, use Adams as a runner!
I like that, wouldn't it be cool for players to see (and us)
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

We rejected the idea of going smaller and selected Frampton.

We know though that we need to score more to win and have gone with the more notable goal kicker over the endurance runner in the 22. The running power of Lipinski and the influence that it can provide will be only be maximised IMO up against tired legs and on a hot day this should only be more evident when he is injected in to the game.

Ginnivan joining Elliott, Hill and McCreery just looks more dangerous on paper and is more dangerous and I suspect Ginnivan will allowed more moments inside f50 trying to shark the spillage than he's been afforded when coming on late as sub.

I like that combination of small forwards as they each bring something a little different.

We went with structure with one selection but are taking a proactive approach with the other.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Wonder if the election of Frampton actually makes it more likely Ginnivan starts. We’ll miss McStays recent output, and without offending him, Frampton is a downgrade as a forward. Perhaps we get some of that back at ground level with Ginni in.

I wonder if the coaches are thinking that if we get the ball to ground we can potentially negate their taller defenders?

Not long now thankfully. I can hardly beat the wait. I’m sure I’ll be disappointed if we lose, but it’s been a hellluva season. I really think we can do it. If footy truly is 80% above the ears (or whatever the percentage is…), I reckon we’ve got them covered.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Yep that's the key defuse their talls and let our swoop squad 2 go to work.
Frammo to get the ball to front and center in the forward line and help out in the ruck.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 86 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm rapt that Ginni has come in to the starting 22. He is a big game player, and one who will provide a genuine boost to our forward line. Alongside Elliott, Hill and McCreery, Ginni will make our small forward composition really powerful.

I've been critical of Lipinski, for not going in hard enough, so having him as the sub makes sense. When he comes on, hopefully late in the game, some of the pace and heat is likely to have subsided somewhat, and Lippa can simply run and run.

This is an exciting change to our line-up and I expect it will energise our forwards. Bring it on. Go Pies!
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Jen over on BF spotted Lippa with a trainer doing some intense tackle work so be prepared for a different Lippa come GF day.

May or may not come off but if they are letting him try out his shoulder fully and he has confidence in it the goalposts might have just shifted our way a fraction.