Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Adams will not play. You do not bring dodgy hammies into a Granny.
But what if it isn't dodgy?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

CC does his best when the Lions midfield is on top and he can sprint back towards goals. He looked dangerous against us at Marvel when they dominated us from the middle.

It was only when Cox came on in the 3rd quarter, that Oscar McInerney was put under pressure and at least for a little while the game changed.
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

This heat factor is wishful thinking from try hard Lions fans. Look, most of the Lions games up there are played at night, under lights, and by the way, Queensland does actually have a winter, mild but its cooler than spring. Also, im sure our players are fine with heat, most of them go swimming, surfing all summper long, and go to Gold Coast, Bali, etc to soak up the sun, hot wether, when they can get a break. Get real, the heat wont affect our guys, not at all.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

1eyedpie wrote:
buzzlightyear wrote:If you are listening to David King on SEN right now, a pretty pessimistic view of our forward / attack and scoring capabilities.
Yea listening and he is painting a very bleak picture for us.

But anything can happen on the day have faith lads.

THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING!

WE have best defence in the league, and we did boot 15 goals v the Lions last time we played em, at marvel, when we were missing four stars. How come the Deees and GWS did not kick more goals against us, if their forward lines are supposed to be better then , ask suck King that ???? :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Brisbane have 7 players who have kicked more than 20 goals this season. 1 of them in Gunston (7th best) may not be selected.

We have 5 but 2 of those in Johnson and McStay (4th and 5th best) are unavailable.

The top 3 Brisbane goal scorers contributed 155.91 from an average of 25 games played each. Our top 3 114.65 from an average of 23 games played each.

As good as our defence is Brisbane's is no slouch either and they conceded the 6th least amount of points against after the H&A season.

We conceded the 3rd least points against.

Their forward line generated the 2nd most points for after the H&A season, while ours was 4th.

So it's a case of our better defence, against their better forward line.

Most likely however the outcome will be decided by the midfield battle and who provides the best supply.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

I actually think one thing that could seperate us, that the pundits dont talk about because it’s hard to back up with stats is our mental strength. We are never ever out of the contest and refuse to believe we will lose. That will not change and if anything will strengthen on Saturday.

On the other hand I reckon the other mob can be a little fragile at times. The occasion won’t get to us (as a collective), but we might get the chance to jump them like Carlton did.

Add that to the MCG and I think this is at worst a 50:50 coin toss for us. Maybe I am naively optimistic (and don’t get me wrong I don’t for a second think it will be a walk over) I feel good about the contest. We have a hell of a team, with a pretty unique psyche IMO.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Fine yes, but if both Melb and GWS forward lines are better than us, why did both of those teams not kick more goals than us ?? We did, as I say, boot 15 goals against Lions last time, at shitty Marveh hole, missing key players. I reckon our defence can hold them to a low score, JDG will lead the way for us. Plus the MCG factor, 1 win, 15 losses for Lions, last 16 games, is pretty bloody ordinary, no matter what King and his clowns think. Its not the Gabba with hick bloody John Denver tunes after Lion goals, thats for sure. ! Bring it on. !

robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

The #AFLGrandFinal field umpires have been selected: Simon Meredith, Matt Stevic, Hayden Gavine & Robert Findlay. Andrew Stephens is emergency.

Two umpires from each of the preliminary finals + Stephens umpired Friday night. @1116sen.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I’m glad I’m not in VIC for GF Day, cannot handle the stress of it all.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Will Kiss be doing the post match also? I’m more worried about their ability to take the heat than the pies. Loved Lionel’s post match concert in 2010 that was great. Hoping for another post GF celebration like that
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Stats overload!

Mark Robinson probably wrote the most sensible thing he’s said all year today. Stats are for the autopsy. They tell us what happened before but not what will happen next.

I know… we all need stuff to analyse, scrutinise this week to pass the time.

This is our destiny folks. Leave it to the coaches, let them earn their money and we can all enjoy the ride and the ultimate success.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Collingwood has been the best performed team across the entire season then Brisbane has been number two so it's no surprise we find ourselves here.

There is also no point not acknowledging that just as Brisbane will have obstacles to overcome in the hope of beating us so will we.

The forward line of Brisbane is our greatest threat and the reality is Brisbane will have the best two individual forwards out on the ground in Cameron and Daniher and as a forward group have greater depth of consistent goal scorers.

In game 1 against them this year Cameron, Rayner, Daniher and Hipwood combined for 14 of their 18 goals. In game 2 Cameron, Daniher, Hipwood, Ah Chee, Bailey, Rayner and McCarthy combined for 17 of the 19 goals.

Moore and Murphy were missing from defence in this game.

About the only positive and possible weakness I can see there is they have a stronger reliance than us on the individual brilliance of those contained within their forward line so if a couple fail to perform on the big stage and/or our defenders can turn the tables and beat individuals within we can keep them to a score we can overcome.

Make no mistake however that the Brisbane forward line will challenge our defence like no other if they handle the moment of a GF, it's a large reason why they've won six in a row against us and to stand a chance we must win or at the very least halve the midfield battle.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Cameron’s a choker. No Country Roads this week mate. You’re in the big smoke now. Rayner is more the worry.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I like Rayner,McLuggage,Coleman and Andrews and we need to shut them down.

they can turn a game in an instant.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:^ Fine yes, but if both Melb and GWS forward lines are better than us, why did both of those teams not kick more goals than us ?? We did, as I say, boot 15 goals against Lions last time, at shitty Marveh hole, missing key players. I reckon our defence can hold them to a low score, JDG will lead the way for us. Plus the MCG factor, 1 win, 15 losses for Lions, last 16 games, is pretty bloody ordinary, no matter what King and his clowns think. Its not the Gabba with hick bloody John Denver tunes after Lion goals, thats for sure. ! Bring it on. !
Yep and at that game at Marvel they kicked 19 goals and won by 24 points. lol. If we dont hold Charlie Cameron whose kicked 17 on us in the last four games against them we are going to be in difficulties. It will be interesting to see if they have trained to overcome the MCG factor or not too - which is about the size of the ground in comparison to the Gabba. what your comparisons show is that its going to be a close game so we better be switched on from the first bounce.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�