Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

We only just picked up Steene 8 months ago in the PSS draft… teenage ruck, don’t think we’ll be putting a line through him so quickly?
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Whether we rate Doedee or not, the good news about Collingwood having an interest in him, is that it at least shows we have some space in the cap for an acquisition. You pay a premium ( contract wise ) for any decent free agent, so there must be a bit of cash to splash if the right player bobs up.
Having said that, it also means the club acknowledges they don’t have much trading currency, so little in fact, that a free agent in the middle of of an ACL rehabilitation is one of the few names we’ve been connected with ( albeit we play our cards a little better these days )
You can also draw your own conclusions from the Doedee connection but obviously the club has identified we are still thin on tall defenders and / or possibly the club don’t see Dean as any reliable quick fix in 2024. Doedee was a past captain at the Crows, so he obviously shows strong leadership qualities and would be a great like for like positional replacement for Howe. Unfortunately, it’s the two ruptured ACLs that come with Doedee that dampen my enthusiasm for chasing his signature.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Actually surprised Doedee is so "old". Careers go quickly, don't they?

Mabior Chol may be available for trade...

Dunno if he'd fit. But Markov (same background!) worked out!!
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

K wrote:Mabior Chol may be available for trade...

Dunno if he'd fit.
Putrid lazy uncoachable coaster.
Avoid like covid.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Presti35 »

K wrote:Liam Henry's already nominated StK.
Bobby Hill nominated Essendon this one time. But it does seem the club has shown no interest.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Chol is also a no from me.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

If Naughton is legitimately gettable as a FA next year I’d suggest keeping our powder dry this trade period.

If he was a chance to come to us we’d be into his manager about it already
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

According to SEN just now, we're into Todd Goldstein.
Backup to the seniors and experienced training for the likes of Begg and Steene?
Maybe a cheaper way is to get a playing ruck coach on the list as opposed to employing one?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

LaurieHolden wrote:According to SEN just now, we're into Todd Goldstein.
Backup to the seniors and experienced training for the likes of Begg and Steene?
Maybe a cheaper way is to get a playing ruck coach on the list as opposed to employing one?
I don't hate the idea...
K
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote:
K wrote:Liam Henry's already nominated StK.
Bobby Hill nominated Essendon this one time. But it does seem the club has shown no interest.
At the end of last season? :?:

And is Bobby's official name "Ian"?? The bookie (sb) has GF markets with "Ian Hill"...

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:According to SEN just now, we're into Todd Goldstein.
I don't hate the idea...
Like Hudson before. Dunno this'll happen. Essendon are favourites. Their coach has a relationship with Goldstein from Norf days.

Dunno if Goldstein can get around the ground at his age. But I never saw him bashing hit out after hit out straight to the oppo the way Grundy does. (And the Grundy Apologist's excuse was to blame Collingwood teammates. Sheesh... How can Collingwood teammates be worse than Goldstein's Norf teammates? And the same stuff happened at Melb. with Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw.)
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Yep, Goldstein is Collingwood bound. Soon to be 36. But it's a low risk move. We should have gone for him last year, or the year before though.

I have high hopes for Begg, but with the window open right now, why not?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

According to this article: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/45-pl ... d3ac6bd4cc
AFL Trade Radio’s list of 45 players up for trade

Paddy Dow, Jack Billings, Deven Robertson, Zac Fisher, James Harmes, Jordon Sweet, Daniel McKenzie, Liam Ryan, Brandan Parfitt, Liam Henry, Tom Doedee, Jarryd Lyons, Nick Haynes, Sam Hayes, Mabior Chol, Hunter Clark, Zak Jones, Finlay Macrae, Brodie Grundy, Shane McAdam, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Elijah Hollands, Jackson Mead, Denver Grainger-Barras, Esava Ratugolea, Lochie O’Brien, Tarryn Thomas, Ben McKay, Khai Lohman, Todd Goldstein, James Jordon, Scott Lycett, Matt Flynn, Ivan Soldo, Dylan Stephens, Braydon Preuss, Jade Gresham, Caleb Marchbank, Nick Coffield, Hugo Ralphsmith, Tyler Brockman, Adam Tomlinson, Orazio Fantasia, Tom Curley, Trent Bianco.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by piffdog »

Presti35 wrote:Yep, Goldstein is Collingwood bound. Soon to be 36. But it's a low risk move. We should have gone for him last year, or the year before though.

I have high hopes for Begg, but with the window open right now, why not?
Is he gonna play of just provide backup? If he is going to play, who does he nudge out? I suppose if you are Goldy you would lane the move even if you are playing twos all year. They will probably play him less at North too I suppose so may as well go somewhere else and see what happens.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Don’t see the logic in this if it’s true. We have two first choice ruckmen, several handy back ups and several youngsters whose progress is potentially stymied, unless the thinking is that he’ll help with the development of Begg and co. Maybe it’s gunna be an onfield coach type role like we did a few years back with ‘whatshisname’ from the Dogs.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I don't know that we have "handy backups" so much, but Goldstein would be a great mentor for the "several youngsters".

Might play a handful of games to cover injury, or to provide a break for Cameron or Cox.