Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

In 2023, when both teams in form, Pies much better than GWS.

IMO , its as simple as that.

As mentioned, if we bring the pressure, play 4 quarters, they will not be able to beat us.

Recently, Melbourne, Port, and GWS looked out of sorts going forward, often spraying the ball at goals without clear intent, more trying to make luck rather than form.

We just need to be good across the board, the pressure will get to them. In the meantime, click the scoreboard over.

Brisbane on the other hand.....
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’m sick of hearing about 2019. Four years ago, different coaches, different teams.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I’m sick of hearing about 2019. Four years ago, different coaches, different teams.
Agree. It’s a nice narrative (like the “you wouldn’t want to play the amazing Giants right now” one) but it was an eternity ago in football terms. I am very confident the only people talking about it are those who have absolutely no bearing on the outcome this turn around (pundits and some fans).

Should be a great game and yes they’re playing well, it I think our best is pretty good and I obviously hope we win.

I think there’s some merit in the talk around fatigue and the advantage we should have. Hopefully we can either a) jump them early or b) not let them jump us and finish the game strongly.

I’m just not ready for our season to be over. Has been a hell of a season!
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Magpietothemax wrote:
The Black and White Lion wrote:For me, the reference match should be the 2022 prelim against the swans. If we turn up with the same never say die attitude and fight until the last kick after the siren we should be in a good place.

I’m hoping our players keep the aggression in check and we have no reports and players in jeopardy for the GF. I’m expecting our players to get in a few scuffles with Toby Greene and we know his attitude. I don’t want to face Brisbane or Carlton with our players rubbed out.
We would want to start better than we did against the Swans last year.
Also, Bruzza had better make sure that he does not leave the ground when he smothers :cry:
Oh yes 100% you're right he will get rubbed out if he does that again. I'm still grateful he got off last week despite all the logic and timing but we can't afford for Bruzza or DeGoey to leave the ground when bumping again.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

You can jump when you smother, but not when bumping. Viva la difference! 8)
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

RudeBoy wrote:I still expect Ginni to be the sub.
Surely Noble offers us more than Lippa, Giants are fast so speed will come in handy, Noble the sub for mine with Ginni starting.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
They run in swarms and support from behind the ball in numbers
They play high pressure football when they don’t have it
They have good players on every line
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing
They win in the road and aren’t daunted by the challenge
This game is a bigger danger than a GF against either lions or scum

They will attack our weaknesses
Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Giants won 3 from 9 against eventual top 8 in the home and away season.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Pendles gives his thoughts on the Prelim, update on Nick & Tay
(in player thread) https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtop ... 27#2171127
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing

Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken
Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

lazzadesilva wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip

Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.
I think people are underestimating GWS massively
They’ve been playing very well but people including media seem fixated on there opposition playing poorly
I’m of the belief it’s because they weren’t allowed to play well
I still think our best is good enough but anything less than our best we will be in trouble
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

I am predicting a Carlton v Collingwood Grand Final. My Chinese neighbour says it will be GWS v Brisbane. He hates Collingwood, intensely dislikes Taiwan, the US, and all things black and white. I told him if we win the Flag this year I will wrap the Australian and Collingwood flags around my arse, walk over to his house, bend over and demand he kiss both. I will them rip the CCP stickers off his windows and replace them with Collingwood and Hard Yakka stickers.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

dalyc wrote:Giants won 3 from 9 against eventual top 8 in the home and away season.
With 1 being against a tanking Carlton with nothing to lose.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpiefan3 wrote:It will be Craig McRae's birthday on Friday and he will be turning 50.

Let's win for him!
50th game as coach as well.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

David wrote:Honestly, I feel much more comfortable with experts tipping against us than everybody assuming we'll win. We need to be ready for their best!
I don't mind it either.

Giants should be respected for their progress through the year, but I think our strengths are being understated by the media.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆