#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

For every Nick Daicos, we need a John Noble because different roles require different types of players to ensure that the team is perfectly balanced. I have noticed that this Collingwood team has 20 - 25 players who mesh well together to provide the drive and constant running movement that is hard to defend against. It’s impressive football with the ability to present multiple options for attack. This also requires players to run both ways which they seem to be doing.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

As good as Noble has been, he's getting better week by week.

He and Cameron are both amazing 'value for money' players.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Noble reminds me of Jack Crisp in his early years. Completely unheralded, but a major driver of our running game and a hugely underrated cog in the machine.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

RudeBoy wrote:As good as Noble has been, he's getting better week by week.

He and Cameron are both amazing 'value for money' players.
This supports my theory that the most valuable asset any club can have is the ability to make players better - either through coaching, how they are played, off-field support etc. You can get players cheaper or lesser known, and they end up loving the club and wanting to stay because they recognise they wouldn't have become who they are without them.

I think this is the wisdom of having 3 x former head coaches on the staff, and also Fly's history as a development coach.

Loving both Noble and Cameron and great to see them getting a bit of love from the punditry as well.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I had relegated Noble to the cusp of the 22.

I always loved what Noble brought to our side, A good measure is when he was out injured, I reckon we really missed him.
But for the longer term, I thought eventually a better playmaker was needed.

Low and behold, this year he seems to have gained yards to his game, has improved his influence out of sight. Maybe it's the Nick Daicos effect. lol

Now he is touching Gun level !!!!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ He isn't routinely conceding 2 goals a game by losing one-on-one contests. That was the problem with his game, previously.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Slowly but continually, he’s grown into his tattoo.
He’s clearly bigger across the shoulders since he came into the game and it’s a credit how he has improved his footy year on year. It’s not easy to get sustained improvement at the elite level. I’ve said this previously but if everyone on our list had improved at the rate he has, we would be talking threepeat’s right about now.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Meredith1965 wrote:Noble reminds me of Jack Crisp in his early years. Completely unheralded, but a major driver of our running game and a hugely underrated cog in the machine.
I like the comparison with Crisp.

Came cheap, does his job, adds run and carry and improved every year to the point where they are vital cogs in the machine.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Matthew Lloyd reckons Johnny Noble is the best MSD pickup of them all.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

^ Agree with you K, but I have to add that Ash Johnson is another!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

This article from twelve months ago had Noble third behind Marlion Pickett and Jai Newcombe. I think one could certainly argue he's gone past both.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-10-best- ... -121320/8/

Johnson is excellent, but not quite at Noble's level of reliability and consistency yet. I think you could certainly put him in the top 10 now.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

No, you couldn't argue he's better than Newcombe. Jai is easily the best of the mid season draft picks, and by a huge margin.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ He isn't routinely conceding 2 goals a game by losing one-on-one contests. That was the problem with his game, previously.
I just don't understand how people can't comprehend that when you play the game flat out 150% and going for everything all the time - which is what John does - then yes you will make mistakes.
Some people focus on these mistakes but it can blind them to the literally huge drive he gives us 100% of his game time.
Great value.
think better
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

I think therefore I think - I think
David
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

That latter clip is the kind of thing you build a football club around. Never seen anything like it!

What's been Newcombe's bravest on-field act?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange