Where Do You Stand On "Ethical Emulation"?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Where Do You Stand On "Ethical Emulation"?

Post by Dave The Man »

Should be Okay with older systems that Company's are not making money on it or can Buy at store.

Not saying that people still do it with new games but just not the best thing

Also not making money off them as well

https://www.timeextension.com/features/ ... -emulation

Your Thoughts?
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Lots of tech terms there that I don't really get, but the pronciple seems to be that people want to be able to play old games, the copyright owners aren't making them available in a conevnient (if any) form, so people are finding ways using emulators and stuff.

I don't have a problem with it. If the copyright owners want to make money, make the games available for sale. If they aren't doing that, they're not losing anything.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I'd love for there to be a legal way to play some older games, where people who are entitled to make some money can. The problem with a lot of the older games is a lot of the places who made them are now obsolete and they're unsure of the ownership of some of the games, I've heard anyways. I've use some emulators in the past, but, would not mind seeing some of these games remastered and able to be played in a little less glitchy way.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:Lots of tech terms there that I don't really get, but the pronciple seems to be that people want to be able to play old games, the copyright owners aren't making them available in a conevnient (if any) form, so people are finding ways using emulators and stuff.

I don't have a problem with it. If the copyright owners want to make money, make the games available for sale. If they aren't doing that, they're not losing anything.
Agreed. I support piracy of out-of-distribution films for the same reason. There’s no coherent moral principle that supports rendering art (if you include videogames in that category, as we probably should) inaccessible. People should pay for it, and if that’s not possible, god bless those who keep this work in circulation.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

David wrote:Agreed. I support piracy of out-of-distribution films for the same reason. There’s no coherent moral principle that supports rendering art (if you include videogames in that category, as we probably should) inaccessible. People should pay for it, and if that’s not possible, god bless those who keep this work in circulation.
It's what I do with some movies I cannot find to purchase as well, I have tried very hard to locate a couple of DVD versions of movies such as Godzilla 1985, but have only found terrible bootlegged copies which have been overpriced and not bought so I had to resort to a download to obtain the movie.

I'd be happy with a reasonably priced decent version of the movie though, if such a copy ever comes into existence.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

David wrote:Agreed. I support piracy of out-of-distribution films for the same reason. There’s no coherent moral principle that supports rendering art (if you include videogames in that category, as we probably should) inaccessible. People should pay for it, and if that’s not possible, god bless those who keep this work in circulation.
It's what I do with some movies I cannot find to purchase as well, I have tried very hard to locate a couple of DVD versions of movies such as Godzilla 1985, but have only found terrible bootlegged copies which have been overpriced and not bought so I had to resort to a download to obtain the movie.

I'd be happy with a reasonably priced decent version of the movie though, if such a copy ever comes into existence.