Gang Culture and Sharpies in Australia

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Gang Culture and Sharpies in Australia

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I grew up in the bush, no sharpies up there, nor gangs of any kind really.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

We were the 'surfs' long hair, flannos, boardies. We weren't a gang as such, more a lifestyle.
There were gangs of 'Rocks'. They were mainly denim, DB wearing thugs and the skinheads were up and about in a pretty big way. We were targeted by these 2 gangs on occasions.

I'm talking late 70's early 80's in Perth.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

sharpies were before my time, I've had few older blokes tell me a few stories but it sounded pretty far from the activities you would associate with a 'gang'. sounded to me more like a culture than a gang.

I grew up in Melbourne's outer east in the 90's, 'gangs' were based on ethnic groups. off the top of my head, Dandy Turks, Oakleigh wogs, Knox Nips, Cambo Klowns, all bullshit really. teenager stuff. you may have got mugged for your Nokia 5110 on the train. a few died that I knew (drugs, suicide) but most of them grew up, got jobs, had families.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

When I was really young (not long ago) there were bodgies and widgies.

In my teens (70’s more or less) there were skinheads and the Jordie gang (Jordanville) had a reputation for being up to no good
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Re: Gang Culture and Sharpies in Australia

Post by watt price tully »

LaurieHolden wrote:Watched Gangs of New York …..day.
A shockingly violent and unnecessary film imo. Saw it when it came out at the Jam Factory in Prahran / South Yarra. I could have done without it.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Sharpies and Skinheads travelled the train lines as they were under the driving age as a rule. I lived on a train line, Sth East suburbs so whenever we headed into town with mates we'd make sure no eye contact was made with these thugs. Jordy Sharps were the worry on our line.

My next door neighbour was a sharpie, I've had continual professional contact with her up until last year. Absolute fruitcake, conspiracist - Chem trails, banks are going to return interest paid, Andrews has billions of dollars personally tucked away and don't mention Covid.

They were all cowards, safety in numbers and fwits.
LaurieHolden

Re: Gang Culture and Sharpies in Australia

Post by LaurieHolden »

watt price tully wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:Watched Gangs of New York …..day.
A shockingly violent and unnecessary film imo. Saw it when it came out at the Jam Factory in Prahran / South Yarra. I could have done without it.
Saw worse in the mosh pit at The Tote. :shock:

Growing up in The Riverina in the 70's early 80's, all we had what we called 'the toughs'. Hybrid / stolen racing bike riding hoods that used to hassle us, given we were 3-4 years younger. They wore what we called 'grot coats', which were simply old black suit jackets. The punk scene and music was flourshing, and along with hard rock spurned 'local' versions of those cliques. All pretty tame stuff on reflection, although at the time in the small mind of a youth, it was a life or death struggle.
The country / community values were pretty self regulating though, local coppers didn't put up with too much and the broader youth had plenty to do sport wise.
I don't think I saw a tattoo on anyone my age until about 25. That was reserved for Robbie McGee, WOW Jones types, or genuine 'toughs'.
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^
Which part of the Riverina?

The only adults I ever saw with Tatts growing up were Bikers, Truck Drivers and the occasional bloke who'd served in the navy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

stui magpie wrote:^
Which part of the Riverina?

The only adults I ever saw with Tatts growing up were Bikers, Truck Drivers and the occasional bloke who'd served in the navy.
Wagga Wagga
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Ah, right up North. Been there once.
partypie

Post by partypie »

I remember the skinheads and bikies of western Melbourne in the mid 70s. At one stage thebikies wanted revenge on the skinheads who were putting wire across the roads they travelled on. There was some type of war involving a hired van and water pistols filled with acid. Some of the bikies who were quite young ended up in jail. It was a shame as they were quite nice fellows who I think were led astray by someone old enough to hire a van. The Moran boys dressed like skinheads, even in the 80s. They were quite horrible even then.
Pi

Post by Pi »

Some sharpies in action 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROXXuD3Cr0

at 1.55 we apparently see the guy who goes on to be Ferret in fast forward 15 years later.
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Skids wrote:We were the 'surfs' long hair, flannos, boardies. We weren't a gang as such, more a lifestyle.
There were gangs of 'Rocks'. They were mainly denim, DB wearing thugs and the skinheads were up and about in a pretty big way. We were targeted by these 2 gangs on occasions.

I'm talking late 70's early 80's in Perth.
And I expect you duly punched the CNUT out of them in retaliation?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Hahaha. Did a whole lot of running back then. We were almost always outnumbered.
Was certainly an inspiration for the boys to take up boxing and other forms of self defence.
Don't count the days, make the days count.