12 stamps project.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

12 stamps project.

Post by Skids »

Driving around here on-site, listening to the only channel I can pick up (ABC) on the radio and this subject came up.

I remember as a kid, we had to have a pen pal at school. Mine was a kid who lived in the USA, near Mt St Helens. I remember it because he sent me a bag of the Ash when it erupted.

The last time I can recall sending/receiving letters was 1987. I was working on Barrow Island and we all use to look forward to the barge with the mail twice a week. My girlfriend at the time and my Nan would always write to me.

I think I'll start sending my Grankids a few letters, maybe slip a $5 note in as well.

When did you last write somebody a letter?

https://www.aliciayoung.net/12-stamps-project/
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Why would you do such an environmental damaging action? Consider the unnecessary emissions to transport the same message that can be sent digitally. There's also unnecessary waste with paper, stamps and envelopes.

Great Thunberg disapproves.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

What'sinaname, have you and this guy ever been seen in the same room together? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVqUecYGnoM
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

:lol: :lol:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'm old enough to remember having to handwrite business letters, give them into the typing pool, wait a day to get it back, correct all the typos, give it back, wait another day and hopefully 2nd or 3rd go I'd have something I could send.

I don't think I've ever hand written a letter to send to someone, other than a Christmas card. I have appalling handwriting and they wouldn't be able to read it anyway. Maybe school camp in primary school where they made you write home to tell your parents how wonderful the camp was and how well you were being treated. :P :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
partypie

Post by partypie »

My aunt and I correspond, she often encloses press clippings about the beloved mighty magpies. She is the last sibling left of either of my parents. She dated Tuddy many years ago. She tells me she thinks she is getting dementia. She is 86, retired a few years ago, got bored and started a new business, and retired again last year.