#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Yep only 3 contested possessions. This is his gross shortcoming. He is excellent on the spread and when no body contact is applied. Finals footy though is a different standard. Hope he can bridge this gap.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
E

Post by E »

schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

This, not every player needs to get a heap of contested possessions. I honestly think that some people watch the games and don’t actually know what they are looking at.
E

Post by E »

schuey07 wrote:This, not every player needs to get a heap of contested possessions. I honestly think that some people watch the games and don’t actually know what they are looking at.
i just think some people like to sound really smart and then wont simply admit when they are wrong. we can call them Fonzie fans!

It happens with respect to all players who meet one of the following three criteria

1. highly paid for never being good enough to justify their salary (even when they are one of the stars of the comp and if it was $100k less, no one would care!) - Grundy, Cloke, the list is endless.

2. highly skilled for not trying hard enough - DeGoey

3. hard working gritty types for not being skilled enough despite generally performing their role admirably - Noble (the new Blair), Magden,
E

Post by E »

i think we might have voted Noble best on ground this week!!!!

So much for "make or break season"?

What a masterstroke by the pies to give him a two year contract extension. his confidence has flourished and now he looks like he belongs every bit as much as IQ, Nick Daicos and Maynard back there.

Congrats to those who saw this in him and those who have come to realize.

And shame on those who still dig the boots in.

Go find another lackie to crucify (like one of our greatest ruckman of all time)!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

His game against the Suns really stood out, provided fantastic run out of the D50

Sidebottom another whipping boy who provided invaluable linkups and smarts
E

Post by E »

Noble in the votes again. Some have questioned his ability to get contested ball. Seriously?

Anyone see him run back with the flight of the ball with Lynch bearing down on him. ran back unflinchingly and took a courageous mark.

Some wondered if this was a make or break year for him. I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22. i think i was told that even suggesting this would go down in Nicks folklore.

Given his recent form, is it time to ask the question - is Noble one of the top 10 players on our team?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

E wrote: I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22
You were also mocked for saying you made the entire salary cap in a year, so…
E

Post by E »

yeah, i admit that it was a bit arrogant to say it out loud! to be clear though, i did say only the Collingwood salary cap and not the entire league.....
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

E wrote:Noble in the votes again. Some have questioned his ability to get contested ball. Seriously?

Anyone see him run back with the flight of the ball with Lynch bearing down on him. ran back unflinchingly and took a courageous mark.

Some wondered if this was a make or break year for him. I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22. i think i was told that even suggesting this would go down in Nicks folklore.

Given his recent form, is it time to ask the question - is Noble one of the top 10 players on our team?
+ 1 - He's been comfortably in the best 22 for a long time. A real find and great skills. I'd be happy to see him get some midfield time.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

E wrote:yeah, i admit that it was a bit arrogant to say it.
More than a bit. Not to mention irrelevant

But that’s who you are
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Just a reminder, he actually wasn’t in our best 22 when we played the Lions.
With the benefit of hindsight he possibly should have been but he wasn’t.
There’s no doubt he’s an improved version in 2022 and that’s a credit to him.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
bally12

Post by bally12 »

I'm not a Noble fan. Note..that means I'm not a fan in Noble the footballer and his footballing skills/talent/value to our side, not Noble the person. I say that because some people on here don't get that distinction and start bandying around things like "hate speech" and effects on players' mental health if they are criticised on social media, and "you're not a true supporter", and the like.

Fundamentally I believe a defender's first attribute should be to be able to defend one-on-one in a contested ball situation, both ground ball and aerially. By virtue of Noble's lack of size/weight, he's not going to be able to compete against most good AFL small forwards in this area. That's his major weakness, and good teams will be able to isolate and expose him.
He also was prone to panic in high-pressure situations and just give up the ball to literally anyone in his vicinity which usually meant he was directly responsible or coughing up 1 or 2 goals a game. I have to admit he's improved a lot in this area. Kudos to him on this front.
Also kudos to him for being braver in contested ball situations...I haven't seen him shirk a contest for a while, which I saw plenty of in Buckley's time. And I don't even blame him for doing so in the past...at 72kg I'd be getting out of the way of a gorilla charging at me as well.

His strengths are obviously his pace, repeat efforts, rebound out of defence, and accurate foot-skills hitting up a 25-30m target. Last couple of weeks I've seen him kick on his left a couple of times, and I had to look twice because I didn't think he had a left side.
I'm all for continuous improvement in a player, so well done to Noble...certainly have no issue with his attitude and effort. 50 games for the Pies is a good effort and no one can take that away from him.

He was actually dropped after the Brisbane game, so the coaches obviously recognise some of his weaknesses as well. He's not the lock that you guys are carrying on about. I'd prefer rotating Poulter in his position, but more than happy to be proven wrong, and Noble continues to improve.
E

Post by E »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
E wrote:yeah, i admit that it was a bit arrogant to say it.
More than a bit. Not to mention irrelevant

But that’s who you are
ouch. and here was me thinking we had become friends.....
E

Post by E »

bally12 wrote:I'm not a Noble fan. Note..that means I'm not a fan in Noble the footballer and his footballing skills/talent/value to our side, not Noble the person. I say that because some people on here don't get that distinction and start bandying around things like "hate speech" and effects on players' mental health if they are criticised on social media, and "you're not a true supporter", and the like.

Fundamentally I believe a defender's first attribute should be to be able to defend one-on-one in a contested ball situation, both ground ball and aerially. By virtue of Noble's lack of size/weight, he's not going to be able to compete against most good AFL small forwards in this area. That's his major weakness, and good teams will be able to isolate and expose him.
He also was prone to panic in high-pressure situations and just give up the ball to literally anyone in his vicinity which usually meant he was directly responsible or coughing up 1 or 2 goals a game. I have to admit he's improved a lot in this area. Kudos to him on this front.
Also kudos to him for being braver in contested ball situations...I haven't seen him shirk a contest for a while, which I saw plenty of in Buckley's time. And I don't even blame him for doing so in the past...at 72kg I'd be getting out of the way of a gorilla charging at me as well.

His strengths are obviously his pace, repeat efforts, rebound out of defence, and accurate foot-skills hitting up a 25-30m target. Last couple of weeks I've seen him kick on his left a couple of times, and I had to look twice because I didn't think he had a left side.
I'm all for continuous improvement in a player, so well done to Noble...certainly have no issue with his attitude and effort. 50 games for the Pies is a good effort and no one can take that away from him.

He was actually dropped after the Brisbane game, so the coaches obviously recognize some of his weaknesses as well. He's not the lock that you guys are carrying on about. I'd prefer rotating Poulter in his position, but more than happy to be proven wrong, and Noble continues to improve.
Bally, you must hate our defense in general the only players who are remotely decent in a one on one match ups are Madgen and Roughhead (and maybe Maynard).

Crisp, IQ, Noble, Daicos and especially Howe and Moore are better suited to the modern defensive system where being a one on one expert isn't as important as working as a unit.

I'm really surprised you want to see Noble as a stay at home one on one defender. Its not a role he plays. He would be lucky to be involved in one of those a week (i know this because people point out literally every one on one he loses and there aint many).

If you had a backline full of Jordan Roughhead's presti's and Gayfers, we would be screwed in the modern game.