Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Although I predicted we might sneak a surprise win, that was really my heart speaking. In truth, I expected a 5-6 goal loss.

Under the circumstances, with us missing most of our forward line - Mihocek, Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan and Henry - I thought our effort tonight was superb. In truth, all we lacked was a forward who could take a mark inside 50.

At least this should be the last game ever played by Cox. Seriously, he was deplorable. I won't attack the guy, as he is doing his best, but he simply has never mastered our game, and whether it's his eye injuries or not, he hardly takes a mark. He must never play again.

Kreuger is a beauty. A brute of a man who plays the game hard and makes a contest. He lacks polish but more than makes up for this with effort. He is a keeper.

Callum Brown, as noted by others, is a standout VFL player, but not up to AFL standard.

For those clamouring for Moore to be kept as a forward, please go back and watch a replay of the game. He did not take a single contested mark in our forward 50. He is an intercept defender.

The bottom line is, had Checkers played, instead of Cox, we would have won the game. Remember folks, the Lions are a top 4 side and we were penciled in by many as being a cellar dweller. We showed tonight that we are a team on the rise.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

dalyc wrote:
inxs88 wrote:Seriously though Taylor Adams field kicking tonight was like watching THAT 2018 GF kick stuff up on REPEAT
Agree. I’ve called for it before but trade him now while he’s got currency
Yup. Been in the trade Adams while he has currency camp for a few years now. Putting up with his weekly butcher jobs is amateur hour. Should be dropped for tonight’s hack fest. EVERY kick he attempted inside 50 missed its target. Most by long ways. Easy goals and/or shots for goal go begging. Can’t be tolerated anymore.
Est. 2002
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's post match presser:

Losing would obviously hurt, but you must be proud of the way your boys kept fighting on?
"Yeah, we've had a last couple of performances where we're in the fight and we couldn't quite get the job done in the 4th quarter. It was the elephant in the room. We spoke about it in the last couple of weeks of finishing games off. We are really proud of the effort. The ability to keep coming; really good opposition up here, big game. We had opportunities to maybe get wiped off the park if you like, but we hung in there. I reckon we learnt a lot about ourselves tonight. We want to win. Let's face it, honourable losses are one thing. If you have 22 honourable losses, you finish bottom. We're here to win and we didn't get the job done and we've got some work to do still".
Where do you think you lost the game despite having more inside 50s and generating enough opportunities?
"We are generating opportunities. I thought our contest in particularly in the back half of the ground in the second half wasn't at the level we wanted it to be. We had a good fight on what we're doing around those things. They're a good team, they're going to get momentum. I really like this week how we stifled momentum. It was the first time for the year we've done that in the second quarter. We're trying to execute a few things in the last few weeks where we haven't quite got the job done, but this week we did. I think we've got some growth in us".
What was the difference in being able to run this game out better than compared to the last few weeks with the last quarter fadeouts?
"It wasn't a GPS thing. The GPS numbers, it's not that. It's about being a bit more calmer in the chaos, and not sort of overcommitting to the ball and we sort of get our balance a lot more out of whack. That's been one of the reasons. I think this game in particular, we refused to give up and if anything we just tried a lot of different things. We threw Darcy [Moore] forward. We tried a few things and it tended to work. Again, we learnt a lot about ourselves. I just love being associated with a team that wants to keep coming".
You had a depleted forward line without Elliott and Mihocek, but it looks like you've found a couple with Kreuger and McInnes up there?
"It's a work in progress. It hasn't looked the same for three weeks now. Beau McCreery hasn't played the last few games. He's a great pressure player for us. Ginnivan is out this week; Mihocek and Jamie [Elliott] so it's a work in progress. Hayden Skipworth is doing an awesome job for us trying to glue it together. We're trying a few different things. We tried 3 talls tonight; I probably say it didn't work. We tried smalls; and we're going to continue to try. It's a work in progress".
Can you take us through the decision to put Pendlebury on Lachie Neale in the first half?
"He's our most experienced player. We just thought we could have a bigger body around stoppage. He's a great leader for us. He's been playing mainly back. We just thought let's try a few different things. We're here to get better and we're here to try things. You're going to get some right and some wrong but it's not through lack of trying".
How did you see the match up between Neale and Pendlebury unfold with a good first quarter and the second quarter Neale got off the shackles?
"What was happening we found was that Pendles was probably on the ground for a bit too long. He sort of affected other parts of our game rotation wise. We sort of went away from that and allowed the other guys to spend a bit more time onto him [Neale]. Not so much just Pendlebury. It became a bit more of a team tag. He's a good player though wasn't he.
What about Darcy Cameron? What was the problem?
"It looks like he's got a cracked rib or something like that. He's quite sore. We'll just have to wait and get that assessed".
You now have 11 days until your next game. Who do you think will be available for the Essendon match and how do you approach the game?
"McCreery will be available, Ginnivan, Mihocek so there's three changes to our forward line potentially. Amongst others, I'm not too sure. We had a 5-day break and now we got an 11 or 12 day break so we want to make the most of that. We walk away without the 4 points. We're disappointed? Yep. Do we need to get better? Yes we do. We've learnt a lot about ourselves tonight about taking more risks when we're down. Let's been braver and be prepared to fail at having a crack at it instead of being back on our haunches. I think that will be our message.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... Names=news
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote:Although I predicted we might sneak a surprise win, that was really my heart speaking. In truth, I expected a 5-6 goal loss.

Under the circumstances, with us missing most of our forward line - Mihocek, Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan and Henry - I thought our effort tonight was superb. In truth, all me lacked was a forward who could take a mark inside 50.
Kreuger is a beauty. A brute of a man who plays the game hard and makes a contest. He lacks polish but more than makes up for this with effort. He is a keeper.

Callum Brown, as noted by others, is a standout VFL player, but not up to AFL standard.

For those clamouring for Moore to be kept as a forward, please go back and watch a replay of the game. He did not take a single contested mark in our forward 50. He is an intercept defender.

The bottom line is, had Checkers played, instead of Cox, we would have won the game. Remember folks, the Lions are a top 4 side and we were penciled in by many as being a cellar dweller. We showed tonight that we are a team on the rise.
Yes, I agree.
I removed the parts about Cox. It saddens me too much. He did not play well tonight, but his inability to impact was exacerbated by the lack of small forwards. With Beau and the Genie present, he might well have looked different.
But yeah, when the ball hit the ground, Cox was unable to apply any pressure, and he was unable tonight to take enough marks.
As you say, with Checkers in, with Kreuger playing as he was, we might well have won.
With such a decimated team, the coaching and team cohesion was fantastic.
After the 2nd quarter onslaught from the Lions, we restrained them, and matched them.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:Fly's post match presser:

Losing would obviously hurt, but you must be proud of the way your boys kept fighting on?
"Yeah, we've had a last couple of performances where we're in the fight and we couldn't quite get the job done in the 4th quarter. It was the elephant in the room. We spoke about it in the last couple of weeks of finishing games off. We are really proud of the effort. The ability to keep coming; really good opposition up here, big game. We had opportunities to maybe get wiped off the park if you like, but we hung in there. I reckon we learnt a lot about ourselves tonight. We want to win. Let's face it, honourable losses are one thing. If you have 22 honourable losses, you finish bottom. We're here to win and we didn't get the job done and we've got some work to do still".
Very important response. He is not going to capitulate to the "honorable loss" line of least resistance. very important that he said that. While tonight's performance was encouraging, it is not adequate, and we are striving for much more.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Anzac Day Team:

Ins:

* Mihocek
* McCreery
* Ginnivan
* Noble: reward his last quarter
* Henry
* Harrison/Poulter

Outs:

* C Brown
* Cox
* Madgen
* Wilson
* Steele (sadly)
* WHE
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

inxs88 wrote:Anzac Day Team:

Ins:

* Mihocek
* McCreery
* Ginnivan
* Noble: reward his last quarter
* Henry
* Harrison/Poulter

Outs:

* C Brown
* Cox
* Madgen
* Wilson
* Steele (sadly)
* WHE
Outs I agree with, without further reflection:
C Brown, M Cox, WHE
Ins: Ginni, Beau, Checkers
Wilson: WTF?? He stays in
Madgen: Not sure. Was fine tonite. But Noble must come in.
Steele: Well you know, you dont just throw away elite quality and experience, just because of one game. He has been OK so far in 2022. We need him there, to link up and lead our young guys, especially in F50.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Well I’m home from the game safely be it 449am shhhh don’t tell Mrs Qld she won’t be happy
I went today expecting a loss. We are 4 games into a new game style with 21 players aged 21 or under on our list
We are trying to develop and educate a lot on the run which isn’t a perfect way
I said in the warm up we looked really good and relaxed and we started that way
Our effort can’t be denied the guys tried there back sides off all night
Our issue still remains we lack players who can execute there skills consistently
From Sidey shank out of bounds to Pendles errant handball to Adams hacking kicks forward to open team mates
A few things hit me seeing us live for the first time this year
1. The hype around Nick D is real he is a talent. He finds time when there is none and mostly makes good decisions
2. Roughhead was way under done he will be better for the run
3. Playing so many talls didn’t work. We would have been better served playing a Noble as a small pressure forward or persisting with Henry
4. Cox can’t play anymore. I like the guy but he dropped at least 3 soda’s last night
5. Magden gets a lot of flack and some times it’s deserved but gee he has a crack and offers effort on effort on effort
6. We lack composure to much and it’s by experienced players more so than rookies
7. Krueger is one to keep faith in. He has something about him
8. We need to rethink who plays inside and who plays outside. Too many times last night we had Adams with the last kick going inside 50 he needs to be on the bottom of the pack giving it to Pendles or someone else
9.:If Grundy has any morals he will tear his own contract up and play for free the remainder of the year. We actually looked more competitive as a team when he was on the bench. It’s the same old story when he’s getting clearances we are losing. He lacks so many facets to his game. Often his opponent drifts forward and impacts play. He doesn’t hurt them the other way. He would be worst big man mark in the game
10. Howe is a general and earned his pay cheque twice over last night
11. Pendles is just being Pendles again
12. I think in time we will see more benefits from the IQ to Nick D to Josh D to a leading forward to goal scenarios. That’s the future
13. Our forwards lead to pockets not straight at a team mate to often
14. My mate I went with commented we are momentum killers. When we have it we find a way to kill it off ourselves without much effort from the opposition. In term one we were a 4 goal better side yet went in only 2 goals up.
15. McInnes is one to watch he presents well and gets into dangerous places
16. Moore seems to be struggling with the new style we are playing in defence. Leppa needs to sit him down and unlock what he was doing this time last year
17. Move Maynard into the middle. His left boot would be better suited booming it forward from forward of centre than out of defence. He would be more suited to a tagging role than Pendles
18. Josh D is doing so many good things he needs to realise at times he has more time than he thinks and lower his eyes a little
19. WHE doesn’t offer anywhere near enough to justify a spot most weeks
20. JDG is a mid who goes forward to kick goals stick with that. Seeing him standing in the goal square on a centre bounce with his hands on hip when we are losing the centre battle makes no sense

Finally the elephant in the room Sidey
Look I’ve never rated him as highly as many but have always respected his efforts and durability
Some mightn’t know there was a couple of high profile former magpies in the crowd last night watching. One Nathan Buckley. We could see bucks from our seats and he seemed heavily invested still in what was going on. The other was Dane Swan who was gracious enough to give us 15 minutes of his time post match. We quizzed him on the young guys and he was upbeat saying there’s plenty to work with. He’s a huge wrap for both Daicos boys purely on the dedication to training. I asked him straight out what’s up with Sidey his reply was He’s Cooked
I’ve been reading the match day comments and those here and many see it the same way.
I’m not for dropping him it really won’t fix what’s wrong with his game. He way to slow to play the style we want to play. He isn’t impacting our performance in a positive manner (take away his last pass to Moore with a couple seconds to go what else did he do last night) he runs between the arcs basically clicking over his gps that’s it. He had McCluggage Lyons Ah Chee and Berry all spend time with him last night and all impacted the game while playing in him. He wasn’t being used as a tagger far from it the ball bounced and they run off him and he couldn’t respond.
We have 2 choices as I see it
Firstly he plays solely and totally as a small forward where he is still smart enough to contribute to the team with a goal, a couple assists and some direction for the young players
Or secondly
time for a tap on the shoulder and say mate it’s time announce it now play a fair well game on Anzac Day on the MCG we are moving on without you
Dropping him to the VFL to finish his career isnt right he deserves better than that

Well we have a good break until Anzac Day now let’s hope we spend that time honing our kicking skills both in front of goal and in general play
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

magpieazza wrote:They are taking the absolute piss out of Cox on Fox Footy...rude pricks!!

Only we can put shite on our own. That freakin rankles me that a professional commentary team are dismantling a player in front of a nation...actually its that gorilla fat head Dunstall that took the piss more than anyone there. Im fired up!!
Whatever he copped, it's half of what he deserves after last night's performance.

Team loses by just 7 points he puts in a game like that. 2018 was a LONG time ago.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Raw Hammer wrote:
dalyc wrote:
inxs88 wrote:Seriously though Taylor Adams field kicking tonight was like watching THAT 2018 GF kick stuff up on REPEAT
Agree. I’ve called for it before but trade him now while he’s got currency
Yup. Been in the trade Adams while he has currency camp for a few years now. Putting up with his weekly butcher jobs is amateur hour. Should be dropped for tonight’s hack fest. EVERY kick he attempted inside 50 missed its target. Most by long ways. Easy goals and/or shots for goal go begging. Can’t be tolerated anymore.
I'd love to see Adams, C Brown and Cox in another team
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Finally the elephant in the room Sidey
Yep. He has been in steady decline since 2018 but his performance this year has fallen off the cliff.

His average disposals is down from 29 to 16. DT points down from 104 to 68. That's about a 40% drop off.

He is in his final season and hopefully will be replaced by a young player during the season. It'll be much like 2010 when we started Round 1 with Fraser and Lockyer and O'Bree. All great clubmen but were replaced by players who went on to become premiership players.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Jordan De Goey 2022 ??

Has anyone noticed a more calm and determined way of playing this year

He showed in every game he has played this year the ability to shrug off tackles then break free and create opportunities

Just hope he has realised his potential based on hard work as it makes him a better option for us
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

Monco Matt wrote:Don't get sucked in to the Darcy Moore is a forward concept again. He is not a forward, he is a defender who can go forward and pluck a goal now and then. He is missing some important attributes that a KPF needs to be successful.

1. Darcy cannot mark the ball in a contest. He is an intercept marker.
2. He is not agile enough when the ball is at ground level. Can't make something out of nothing.
3. He is not smart enough to be a forward. Need to be able to fool the opponent. Turn him inside out, fake a lead one way, double back etc.
4. A good KPF can push up the ground and run back hard. Moore doesn't have the tank for that.

His strengths are intercept marking, straight line running, being generally tall and the son of a legend, not much else. Kind of makes you wonder why he's on a big contract, but that's another debate.
Don't u read that list of yours and then feel a little unwell on his contract?
Buon Giorno
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

My brief observations

1. Coaches are very good. McRae is always insightful and his team is connected to the players who respond well. The team spirit and cohesion are good. This should not be underestimated.

2. I am tough on our top players as I expect a lot from them but I have a bit of a different view about a few of them from many others here, taking last night as an example:

Grundy, who has frustrated me hugely the last two years, is changing the way he plays. He is less focussed on himself now. Also he is finally starting to tap better and to our advantage, particularly in forward areas. What I want to see is more fight and more creativity and I see improvement in both. Yes, his marking is poor for a ruckman but that may be a combination confidence and technique, so he can improve.

Moore, whom I rate very highly, is not on it this year. He lacks competitiveness and is getting beaten too often in one on ones. His skills are amazing but needs to work on some other aspects of his game.

JDG had a fine back half of the season in 2021 and continues to be very good. He is not a Lachie Neale so don’t expect him to dominate for four quarters. He is much more consistent week to week and has hugely improved his goal kicking accuracy. I like what I see.

Maynard who is a tough and quite skilled player was not at his best. He failed to impact some contests and also had some poor skill errors. I expect him to bounce back and have a top match on Anzac Day

Pendlebury - having a fine season, what a champion

On the rest, it is clear we have some terrific young players now and I am very bullish about our future. If we recruit well this year I think we can play finals next year but managing the loss of some highly experienced players over the next two years will be a challenge. I can see a need for some more smart lateral recruitment, a la Lipinski and Krueger, but for a ‘name’ player, probably a midfielder.

Keep positive, there is a lot to like
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!