Post Match. Cats pip Pies All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

duke750

Post by duke750 »

Totally agree that this is going to be an exciting time for Collingwood supporters, with some letdowns.

Haven’t felt this way for a long time, since 2010-2011.
Magpies forever.
First Colligwood game: Western Oval 1960
Usurper

Post by Usurper »

Can't see Joel Selwood getting another game next week on that performance... lol.

Great team building here, sure a wasteful first qtr, and no gas left in the 4th.
It's all good.
duke750

Post by duke750 »

I must admit I hate it when forwards take set shot within 40 and proceed to kick around their bodies. Elliot could have gone back and run straight towards the goal, rather than tying to kick sideways.

Good key forwards trust their kicking in set shots.
Magpies forever.
First Colligwood game: Western Oval 1960
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

C'mon Duke - we can all argue wether the umpires were good or not, but you can't argue that the don't affect a result in a close one. There have been a few obvious examples mentioned that remain un explained, by you or anyone else, and they never will be.

If the business world or the aviation world or the health world ran their departments with the lack of accountability and transparency the umpiring department is run with they would be living in Russia. The reason why people should be able to question umpiring decision is for them to be able to be improved. For everyone to say "nothing to see here folks" there will never be any improvement.

Interestingly the umpires are very critical of their games behind closed doors (usually) but there is no accountability or consequence for that, so really little motivation to improve. The same goes for the rules - little reason / motivation to make them actually easier to follow or umpire.

I think this argument has reached a level of logic not usually associated with the post game thread though, so until there is any change and improvement in transparency and process within the umpiring department I will continue to complain about their mistakes, especially recurrent biased errors / unequal interpretations, and you are of course free to ignore anything you wish.
pieboy

Post by pieboy »

We lost because we are far to loose in the defensive 50. Too often Geelong forwards were able to take easy marks, even in the first quarter.

This also occured at times in the first 2 games however our opponents did not hurt us.

I like the new game style, but we have to tighten up down back.
Last edited by pieboy on Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

The game reminded me of GWS in the early years. Would keep pace for three quarters then completely fall apart.
Est. 2002
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

Sidebottom was on the bench in the last quarter did he get injured?
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Raw Hammer wrote:The game reminded me of GWS in the early years.
Disagree - They drafted well and didn't piss away their first round picks; unlike Hine....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Very dissapointing result in the end. We look good though! Very good.
It will take time, but we're on the right path.
Highlight was Henry's rundown tackle on Selwood!!
Did anyone else see Ginnivan copping a punch to the face the bottom of the pack? (resulting in the free)
I only saw a glimpse of the replay but looked pretty nasty.

Anyway, a lot to like, even though it turned into a loss against those freaking muppets.

Go Pies.
Last edited by the fuzz on Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Brown26 wrote:C'mon Duke - we can all argue wether the umpires were good or not, but you can't argue that the don't affect a result in a close one. There have been a few obvious examples mentioned that remain un explained, by you or anyone else, and they never will be.

If the business world or the aviation world or the health world ran their departments with the lack of accountability and transparency the umpiring department is run with they would be living in Russia. The reason why people should be able to question umpiring decision is for them to be able to be improved. For everyone to say "nothing to see here folks" there will never be any improvement.

Interestingly the umpires are very critical of their games behind closed doors (usually) but there is no accountability or consequence for that, so really little motivation to improve. The same goes for the rules - little reason / motivation to make them actually easier to follow or umpire.

I think this argument has reached a level of logic not usually associated with the post game thread though, so until there is any change and improvement in transparency and process within the umpiring department I will continue to complain about their mistakes, especially recurrent biased errors / unequal interpretations, and you are of course free to ignore anything you wish.
Right. Two things the AFL can do about the umpiring.

(1) For God's sake give up the bounce. We don't need it anymore when more than half the bounces are no good. Throw it up!

(2) Umpires should be on a demerit system with points lost for every bad decision in the games' reviews. This should result in suspensions or demotion to the VFL. There has to be a consequence for bad decisions.
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Brown26

Post by Brown26 »

I think it was some pretty aggressive jumper punches fuzz, he'll get off.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Magpiefan3 wrote:Sidebottom was on the bench in the last quarter did he get injured?
Looked like a bad corky.