What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by #26 »

Me too. I'd missed browsing through video shops until I started going there recently..

Post by #26 »

The 90s rewatch continues. Watched Last Night, which I'd seen at MIFF in the late 90s. It's about the world having hours left before utter annihilation and how various people spend their last night. It still stands up.

Finally got around to watching the Itallian film Caro Diario from 1993. Really enjoyed it. I love it when the protagonist is a film geek like me and I get all their references. I'm not surprised that Nanni Moretti won Best Director at Cannes.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

I liked Caro diario a lot too. Haven't seen much else by Moretti, but The Son's Room is an excellent film if you're not already familiar with it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by #26 »

David wrote:I liked Caro diario a lot too. Haven't seen much else by Moretti, but The Son's Room is an excellent film if you're not already familiar with it.
I'll check it out.

I watched Wong Kar Wai's Happy Together (1997) last night. It had some stuff in it I liked but I expected more.
Presti35
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Presti35 »

The 4 Alien movies, plus the 2 prequel films, and the 4 Predator movies are done.

Alien 1 and 2 are great. 3 is just ok. 4 is dismal. The prequel films were fairly good I thought. Predator is good if u like that sort of thing. Part 2 is... not completely crap, and still watchable. Predators (the third one) I didnt mind. "The Predator" (the 4th film) was a dead set shocker.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Gees David, did you start a new Id?

Alien vs predator is interesting!

The original alien is still good, as is predator but they both went down hill after that! Lot of sequels do, jaws 4 for example! The Meg is much better!

Die hard however, love them all!

If only they made another con air!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!

Post by #26 »

Man Bites Dog (1992) A mockumentry about a serial killer getting followed by a film crew as he goes about his business. Laced with dark humour and gratuitous violence. It's a real 90s throwback. I thought it was going to be fairly one dimensional. But the storyline was interesting enough and the killer was quite funny.
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:Gees David, did you start a new Id?
:lol: I can assure you I’m not the only person in the world who likes arthouse and foreign language film. Maybe not many of them post on Nick’s, but we’re out there I promise. ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by #26 »

David wrote:
think positive wrote:Gees David, did you start a new Id?
:lol: I can assure you I’m not the only person in the world who likes arthouse and foreign language film. Maybe not many of them post on Nick’s, but we’re out there I promise. ;)
Absolutely.

I see the Academy Award nominations were announced today

BEST PICTURE

Nightmare Alley

Don't Look Up

Drive My Car

Belfast

Licorice Pizza

The Power of The Dog

West Side Story

King Richard

Coda

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

DRIVE MY CAR
Japan

FLEE
Denmark

THE HAND OF GOD
Italy

LUNANA: A YAK IN THE CLASSROOM
Bhutan

THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD
Norway

What jumps out at me is that Drive My Car was nominated in both categories, which tells me that the Best International Feature Film award is a forgone conclusion. Which is disappointing because I loved The Worst Person in the World. Although to be fair I haven't seen Drive My Car yet. But it would have to be pretty special to out do The Worst Person in The World for me.

And my favourite category for the Razzies

WORST PERFORMANCE by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie
Bruce Willis, “American Siege”
Bruce Willis, “Apex”
Bruce Willis, “Cosmic Sin”
Bruce Willis, “Deadlock”
Bruce Willis, “Fortress”
Bruce Willis, “Midnight in the Switchgrass”
Bruce Willis, “Out of Death”
Bruce Willis, “Survive the Game”
Last edited by #26 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Brice has had some shockers lately, but still better than don’t look up!

Post by #26 »

He Died with a Falafel in His Hand (2001) d Richard Lowenstein. Re: watch on Stan. It stood up pretty well after all these years. It was also a hoot seeing Sophie Lee again. She was so of that time. What ever happened to her?

Post by #26 »

Metal Skin (1994) Geoffrey Wright's follow up to Romper Stomper. I remember it flopping at the time of its release and personally having mixed thoughts about it. But it was interesting revisiting it and viewing it as a time capsule of mid 90s Melbourne. It's also batshit crazy and the car chase at the end, around the Footscray docklands, between a Charger and a Nascar is pretty cool. The full movie is free to watch on You Tube
Last edited by #26 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Post by #26 »

^ The amount of booze they were putting away was hilarious. I heard the "The Yabba" was based on Broken Hill.
think positive

Post by think positive »

We had to do wake in fright asa school book, hated that and the movie!

Romper stomper, the big springboard for Russell Crowe, bloody terrifying! Probably not now But-when I was younger it was!