#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

matrix10

Post by matrix10 »

Has his limitations- but never stops trying and always takes the game on
Different styles but his efforts and attitude remind me of Ben Johnson
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Yes he does remind me of ben johnson.
LIke Ben his disposals have improved as time has gone by
That doesn't happen very often.
slangman
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

Noble has been a revelation since being picked up in the mid season draft.
Noble and Mihocek are the prime examples of why time and money (resources) are wasted on international rookies.

With football department soft caps in place, the coaches should be wholly invested in improving elite juniors or state league based players.

Teaching someone from scratch is an absolute waste.
- Side By Side -
Boot

Post by Boot »

John Nobel has improved and it wasn't his fault the Pies fell away so badly in the last half of yesterday's horrid loss to Carlton. However, he still lacks that ability to contest one-on-one and is always in danger of being dragged to deep in the defense by his opponent to get caught out. I think he is best suited to the wing position to make the most of his pace and less likely to have to defend one-on-one in positions where it would hurt us on the scoreboard.
Hence I don't agree with the comparison with Ben Johnson. Ben was a very good one-on-one defender who was quite strong bodied. Unfortunately that is not John Noble's strong points.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Quite fittingly, Nobel Star won the first at Carnarvon yesterday, at a juicy $13.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Skids wrote:Quite fittingly, Nobel Star won the first at Carnarvon yesterday, at a juicy $13.
Gotta love an omen bet
I think therefore I think - I think
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Think Noble, Crisp and Maynard will poll very well on Copeland night...
The rest of 'em... probably not.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Been a great addition after selecting him in the mid-season draft two years ago.

Like others said, he has his limitations but he's a decent footballer who contributes positively to the team.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Jezza wrote:Been a great addition after selecting him in the mid-season draft two years ago.

Like others said, he has his limitations but he's a decent footballer who contributes positively to the team.
He reminds me more of Shane Kerrison rather than Ben Johnson. Maybe also a better version.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
masoncox

Post by masoncox »

As his dad said.He has been dismissed as a quality footballer numerous times.
Didn't get drafted, told he was too small and not skilled enough.
By he didn't listen...He just kept plugging away.
I reckon I have given him more votes this year ( when I did vote ) than any other player.
Will never win a brownlow or a Copeland but he really deserves his spot.
bally12

Post by bally12 »

So when Noble doesn't give away his average of 2 goals with direct shat-his-pants turnovers, then we give him votes? lol.

How's his left foot? No one knows because no-one's seen him use it. I have seen him squeezed in the left back pocket numerous times though frpm where he'll just handball it to anyone in close vicinity. I'll throw in Madgen here because he does exactly the same. They make a great double-act.

Ok..so he's a back pocket with a bit of speed that can mop up a loose ball and can hit up a 20metre target. Tick. Credit to him.

On the other hand he can be exposed 1-on-1 because his size makes him useless in any contest...

He also can't stick a tackle because he doesn't have the strength. Cmon, you've seen that Walsh goal replayed at least 10 times by now where Noble despairingly flails at a passing Walsh...good try though.

Occasionally you'll see him dog a contest because well..at 70kg vs 90kg the odds are not going to be in your favour.

I agree with the comments above that Noble's made a bloody good fist of his football career given his limitations. I'm just telling ya that we ain't winning a premiership with Noble in our side. Isn't a premiership what we all want? If not then yeh, let's just play all the good guys that try hard.
masoncox

Post by masoncox »

I like his attitude
How many tackles have you seen Sidey miss???
I remember when Nick Maxwell first started.....he wasn't rated.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I like John Noble..his talents (speed and excellent kick) are exactly what we need. I am thinking that over the pre-season, he should retrain as a forward. I think that his strengths would be well suited to a role as an attacking forward. T
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Many commentators have now picked up on us being forced to defend too deeply.

Noble is needed to gain as much metreage as possible, as deep as possible into out forward line.

(The whole competition seems to have forgotten how to kick - he's not on his own in that regard.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Many commentators have now picked up on us being forced to defend too deeply.

Noble is needed to gain as much metreage as possible, as deep as possible into out forward line.

(The whole competition seems to have forgotten how to kick - he's not on his own in that regard.
Why are we being "forced" to defend too deeply? Isn't that the choice we are m aking ourselves?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins