Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Correct on all counts
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

https://newsbundleonline.com/australia/ ... -backlash/

This week the WHO released its Draft Global Alcohol Action Plan 2022-2030 which said: “Appropriate attention should be given to prevention of the initiation of drinking among children and adolescents, prevention of drinking among pregnant women and women of childbearing age, and protection of people from pressures to drink, especially in societies with high levels of alcohol consumption where heavy drinkers are encouraged to drink even more.”

WHO recommending no booze for the girls until after menopause.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, that'll work.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

stui magpie wrote:Yeah, that'll work.
That will be totally ignored in Thailand and the Phillipines. And Cambodia as well.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

I don’t think it will taken seriously anywhere.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

correct again. You're on a roll. :wink: :P
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

I think most of us would need a few drinks to be able to cope with that recommendation. :lol:

But seriously, this is why we need to be able to put WHO recommendations on COVID-19 responses in context: people at organisations like these have no clue about social consequences because that’s not how they think or how they see their jobs (whether they should is another question). Their job is to put forward recommendations to maximise public health, and yes, banning alcohol for everybody would achieve that, just as extended harsh lockdowns would ensure that COVID-19 has less chance to spread. But a pure physical-health-first approach is a necessarily blinkered one, and other factors need to be considered.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Aside from footy and husbands all the reasons to drink arepretty much done after menopause....thank god for husbands and footy
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

In this current woke climate with multiple genders, I'm surprised it's still called "MENopause" :P
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:In this current woke climate with multiple genders, I'm surprised it's still called "MENopause" :P
Hehe

2 words I hope disappear woke and non binary! Oh and Karen!

Pa marmo posted a pic of a T-shirt the other day that said there are more than two genders, available in: ...... ladies or men’s sizes! You can’t makethis shit up. But somebody did! And no I don’t gave a phobia David, your male or female, whether trans or not, but you have to pick 1!

As for changin mum and dad to birthing and non birthing parent, just **** right off! How insulting is that to adoptive mothers? Giving birth doesn’t make you a mother, or a mom, and having sex doesn’t make you dad.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:I think most of us would need a few drinks to be able to cope with that recommendation. :lol:

But seriously, this is why we need to be able to put WHO recommendations on COVID-19 responses in context: people at organisations like these have no clue about social consequences because that’s not how they think or how they see their jobs (whether they should is another question). Their job is to put forward recommendations to maximise public health, and yes, banning alcohol for everybody would achieve that, just as extended harsh lockdowns would ensure that COVID-19 has less chance to spread. But a pure physical-health-first approach is a necessarily blinkered one, and other factors need to be considered.
You've just accurately explained why epidemiologist advice also needs to be considered but not followed blindly.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Yep because without mental health physical health doesn’t mean mich
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:In this current woke climate with multiple genders, I'm surprised it's still called "MENopause" :P
Hehe

2 words I hope disappear woke and non binary! Oh and Karen!

Pa marmo posted a pic of a T-shirt the other day that said there are more than two genders, available in: ...... ladies or men’s sizes! You can’t makethis shit up. But somebody did! And no I don’t gave a phobia David, your male or female, whether trans or not, but you have to pick 1!

As for changin mum and dad to birthing and non birthing parent, just **** right off! How insulting is that to adoptive mothers? Giving birth doesn’t make you a mother, or a mom, and having sex doesn’t make you dad.
Look, I can’t say I totally understand non-binary gender identities, but I don’t think it’s really for those of us who don’t identify that way to say it’s not legitimate. There’s been a lot of harm done to intersex people in decades past under the rationale of having "to pick one", and that’s reason enough to take a step back from rigid enforcement of gender dichotomies, I reckon.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

I get where your coming from, however it just won’t work, identity wise, how do you describe a person, not just a criminal, but a missing person? I just think it’s a bridge too far,
David

Post by David »