Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Keep playing him in the guts. Don't play him in the forward line again.
He has to break some bad habits. He ranks last in average metres gained on the list (excluding players who haven't played for played 2 games).

For comparison, a midfielder should get 300 - 400m gained. Brown averages less than 100.
Lord Maximus Farquaad

Post by Lord Maximus Farquaad »

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote: Can I clarify please, are you sure you were watching Collingwood vs. Adelaide, Saturday 5 June at the Adelaide Oval?
Brown's served us some crap this year but Saturday afternoon he was definitely a contributor.
I've been one of his harshest critics, but I was impressed with his Adelaide game. Let's hope he continues on with this form.
As one of. Down most ardent critics, IF he were actually capable of NOT. Sing caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet
A sign would be helpful if it explained what you just said.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:
mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote: I've been one of his harshest critics, but I was impressed with his Adelaide game. Let's hope he continues on with this form.
As one of. Down most ardent critics, IF he were actually capable of NOT. Sing caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet
Even google translate didn't help.
Lord Maximus Farquaad

Post by Lord Maximus Farquaad »

What'sinaname wrote:
mudlark wrote: As one of. Down most ardent critics, IF he were actually capable of NOT. Sing caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet
Even google translate didn't help.
All I can say in response to Mudlark is that no sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowl my bishen cutter.
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Translation: As one of Brown's most ardent critics, if he were actually capable of not getting caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet.
Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:All I can say in response to Mudlark is that no sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowl my bishen cutter.
Translation: Absolutely no idea.
Go Pies!
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

AnthonyC wrote:
Translation: As one of Brown's most ardent critics, if he were actually capable of not getting caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet.
Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:All I can say in response to Mudlark is that no sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowl my bishen cutter.
Translation: Absolutely no idea.
The fun police have arrived.
AnthonyC

Post by AnthonyC »

Well I thought it was funny.
Go Pies!
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote: I've been one of his harshest critics, but I was impressed with his Adelaide game. Let's hope he continues on with this form.
Ah yes. The curse of the preemptive. “As one of Browns most ardent critics “ and the second one should be “Capable of NOT GETTING caught “. Substitute those and it may, or may not, make sense.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Couldn’t help but notice how the interstate clubs have been able to draw on the form of all their listed players. All non selected players have still been playing in their state league affiliated clubs over the past couple weeks.
It’s a huge disadvantage to all the Vic clubs who can’t get any time into those who weren’t picked to play seniors. It’s the world we live in but it’s very difficult to develop players when aren’t playing footy. We really need the VFL up and running again much sooner than later.
It's an incredible handicap. We've had 12 months of development of Rantall and Bianco already at the club last year destroyed. Then you add the players we drafted at the end of last year - McInnes, McCrae and Henry. They played no junior football at all last year and come into a club that isn't able to play them in the VFL. And what are we supposed to do with Ash Johnson. Can he keep playing for Sturt?
The get-around is to play them in the seniors! :!: :shock:
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

What'sinaname wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Keep playing him in the guts. Don't play him in the forward line again.
He has to break some bad habits. He ranks last in average metres gained on the list (excluding players who haven't played for played 2 games).

For comparison, a midfielder should get 300 - 400m gained. Brown averages less than 100.
I'm not challenging people's well-placed criticisms of Brown.
Based on much of this years form he should be playing for Donvale and not Collingwood.

I do, however, question the value of the metres gained metric.
Brown played 12 more minutes of football than the player he replaced - Sier.
Brown had -17 metres gained and Sier had +31.
Does this mean Sier had a better game than Brown? Does it mean that he contributed more to the win? Absolutely not.
Brown had 7 more disposals, 3 more tackles, 2 more clearances and a goal assist.
As such, I'm not too sure how much we should focus on this particular, somewhat imprecise, metric.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/28/s ... rrelevant/
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Yes statistics can be misleading

Other week, Mayne had the highest metres gained, but only because he kicks it 40 metres across the backline, then he gets it back.. runs 10 metres because he is now free in no man's land, then kicks it 40 metres across the ground again. Never seen him take the game on all the way.

Brown gets the hardball, flicks it backwards to a loose player -3 metres gained.

Not defending Brown per se, who played his best game this year. But I did figure prior to the game that he was experienced and well practised at being the sub.

Siers role served him well. But let's be realistic, Adams will return and Callums other roles need time in the ressies.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Yes statistics can be misleading

Other week, Mayne had the highest metres gained, but only because he kicks it 40 metres across the backline, then he gets it back.. runs 10 metres because he is now free in no man's land, then kicks it 40 metres across the ground again. Never seen him take the game on all the way.

Brown gets the hardball, flicks it backwards to a loose player -3 metres gained.

Not defending Brown per se, who played his best game this year. But I did figure prior to the game that he was experienced and well practised at being the sub.

Siers role served him well. But let's be realistic, Adams will return and Callums other roles need time in the ressies.
Kicks across the ground are not metres gained.

We have such a low benchmark for Callum......at 50+ games, his output needs to be more.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Born to Pie »

What'sinaname wrote:We have such a low benchmark for Callum......at 50+ games, his output needs to be more.
Callum Brown now has 61 games to his name, the same number his father had played at the start of the 1990 season.

Over the next 18 games Gavin Brown was a key component of a premiership winning team, I'm not expecting the same level from the son of Rowdy.

Interesting stat though, and yes we need more output from Callum.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Born to Pie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:We have such a low benchmark for Callum......at 50+ games, his output needs to be more.
Callum Brown now has 61 games to his name, the same number his father had played at the start of the 1990 season.

Over the next 18 games Gavin Brown was a key component of a premiership winning team, I'm not expecting the same level from the son of Rowdy.

Interesting stat though, and yes we need more output from Callum.
Lol, by Gavin's 50th game thereabouts, has was already BOG in the 1989 Vic vs. SA match at the MCG. Saw it with my own eyes from MCC members stand.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes, he has the EJ Whitten Medal to show for it - and a Copeland Trophy at the end of the 1989 season.