Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

True umps ain’t ever helping us!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:
Yep and we have been playing an inept keeping off game for far to long forit not to be under instruction. 22 players choosing to not do as they are told and dick around? I don’t think so.
As usual TP, you cut through all the extraneous noise so brilliantly. You cannot explain this by 22 players who are incapable of executing Bux game plan (or even worse, refusing to). (!!) In the final analysis, you can only explain it as 22 players who are doing their best to execute Bux' gameplan, as they understand it.
100% and I think the players know it wont work. I’m sick of having to watch blue collar football, it’s exhausting to watch, imagine trying to play it! Save the energy from over passing to get free when we are in possession, and man up when we ain’t. Again, this team is not that bad, the last quarter proved it, we have some really really good kids. I haven’t said much last couple of weeks re bux, but I want change now for the kids as much as the older players. They are not machines. And clearly, when allowed to take the game on, they ain’t bad. I’d rather lose at a canter, than win on my knees!

honourable Loss? More like embarrassing win for them!
lol TP...we won't win on our knees. !!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

I think the list has some significant holes, but it's better than what the ladder position is right now.

If the shackles are released and the players have freedom to express themselves, we're actually a decent attacking team that is competitive. The last 10 minutes showed that today as did the last 5 minutes of the Port game.

Buckley was adamant that the game plan was fine after the Sydney and Port Adelaide games. We've scored 42, 58 and 51 points in the past three weeks. Scores of that nature simply won't win us games.

Bianco was a huge positive. At least we're unearthing some good young players among the rubble of this season. That's something to hold onto going forward.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Just a quick insight that to me puts the sealer on whether Bux can coach.

Madgen to full forward - this really says it all.

There have been others like Quaynor to Greene after Maynard has historically done very, very well on him. After Greene had 5 goals, the Maynard move was made.

And Madgen on Charlie Cameron earlier this year. Really???
Jatsad - That is all
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

jatsad wrote:Just a quick insight that to me puts the sealer on whether Bux can coach.

Madgen to full forward - this really says it all.

There have been others like Quaynor to Greene after Maynard has historically done very, very well on him. After Greene had 5 goals, the Maynard move was made.

And Madgen on Charlie Cameron earlier this year. Really???
Those moves could not be more laughable. Magden on Tippa all day on Anzac Day.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:I think the list has some significant holes, but it's better than what the ladder position is right now.

If the shackles are released and the players have freedom to express themselves, we're actually a decent attacking team that is competitive. The last 10 minutes showed that today as did the last 5 minutes of the Port game.

Buckley was adamant that the game plan was fine after the Sydney and Port Adelaide games. We've scored 42, 58 and 51 points in the past three weeks. Scores of that nature simply won't win us games.

Bianco was a huge positive. At least we're unearthing some good young players among the rubble of this season. That's something to hold onto going forward.
Pretty much a condensed summary of how i see it. Bux confirmed last week that we were playing as he wanted us to. What more evidence is required to indicate that how we play now is what is being encoded by the master coaches?
I agree our list is significantly better than current ladder position indicates. If the shackles were released, you would see a very different team.
What will it take to release the shackles??? (That is the burning question).
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

The only reason I can see why NB hasn’t been terminated by now is that the board would be reneging on its public pledge to give him until the second half of the season. With the Club’s recent dishonourable behaviour, they want to avoid another load of shit from the media who love him.
Between a rock and a hard place.
Woodsman forever
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

Woodsman forever
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

Jezza
On 7 May my new post “Too Bad To Be True” said just that with some justification but got 0 responses.
Woodsman forever
Stinga

Post by Stinga »

MickMCG34 wrote:The only reason I can see why NB hasn’t been terminated by now is that the board would be reneging on its public pledge to give him until the second half of the season. With the Club’s recent dishonourable behaviour, they want to avoid another load of shit from the media who love him.
Maths isn't my special subject, but now that we've just finished Round 11, I believe we are now in the second half of the season. If there wasn't a meeting tonight about the coach, hopefully it's tomorrow f#$%$ing morning! I loved him as a player and even as a coach for many years despite results, but enough is enough. He's made us into a basket case!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.

Well I applaud anyone with the courage to voice a different view point right now.
Funnily enough, a lot of posters were keen to quote Johnathon Brown when he said it was the worst ball movement he had seen in last 18 months. And yet no one bothered to add that Brown also said this wouldn’t be Buckley’s instruction. There isn’t a coach alive who would preach slow ball movement but for some reason the players aren’t displaying a desire to move the ball quickly. Maybe it’s the messaging ( clearly the coaches fault ) or maybe it’s the players. I dont know because as you said, I don’t sit on the meetings.
What I do know is that one of the qualities of being a good team is your ability to slow down down an oppositions ball movement.
In our case, we have a very ordinary list profile that is made up of a few past their peak guns and kids that are no where near ready and that’s hardly conducive to slowing down the momentum of any of the good teams going around. Conversely, we struggle to move the quickly because most oppositions have a better 22 than us right now . It could potentially be that simple. Having said that, Buckley has a responsibility for the list profile we currently have at hand.
Im not fussed if Buckley stays or goes ( although a change of assistants is required as a very minimum ) but for anyone to think he plans to move the ball as slow as humanly possible so as the opposition can set up, is ridiculous.
Today was 3rd vs 16th. That says enough to me on today’s outcome.
Blah blah blah. Here’s an idea- show Buckley the door after 10 years as a failed coach and let’s just see how that goes. Thoughts?
Thoughts ?
I wonder how much Clarkson would have won by if he had overseen the same 22 today ?
I’m hardly a Buckley apologist as per my enclosed post but you can’t make strawberry jam out of cow shit. We may not have the coach but we certainly don’t have the cattle in 2021 either.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruisinwithdids

Stinga wrote:
MickMCG34 wrote:The only reason I can see why NB hasn’t been terminated by now is that the board would be reneging on its public pledge to give him until the second half of the season. With the Club’s recent dishonourable behaviour, they want to avoid another load of shit from the media who love him.
Maths isn't my special subject, but now that we've just finished Round 11, I believe we are now in the second half of the season. If there wasn't a meeting tonight about the coach, hopefully it's tomorrow f#$%$ing morning! I loved him as a player and even as a coach for many years despite results, but enough is enough. He's made us into a basket case!
It doesn’t matter one bit about Buckley’s playing career. It’s 2021 and we have lost a decade pretending this ‘great player’ is some sort of a messiah. This is pure madness. He is not a coach he is not a leader, he captained Collingwood because he was the best player. Collingwood continued that mentality into the reasoning for him replacing a successful coach. McGuire’s ignorant parochial blind support just added weight to what was a dumb, jobs for the boys oriented appointment. To think after 10 years he still has the job, still wants the job, whilst he watches the club crumble around him. That is not loyalty.
Cruisinwithdids

^ Reckon we’d have been somewhere beyond 1.11.17, or do you think that score is ok for a 3/4 time score in the AFL? I’m really curious to understand how that is ok and how it has absolutely nothing to do with coaching methodology?
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

Pies2016 wrote:Thoughts ?
I wonder how much Clarkson would have won by if he had overseen the same 22 today ?
I’m hardly a Buckley apologist as per my enclosed post but you can’t make strawberry jam out of cow shit. We may not have the coach but we certainly don’t have the cattle in 2021 either.
If Clarkson wouldn't play ~70% of these players hand picked by Buckley.

What about if we gave Buckley a Melbourne and Footscray team - you reckon they would be 1st and 2nd right now?
COLLINGW09D