Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

Skids wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Well I applaud anyone with the courage to voice a different view point right now.
Funnily enough, a lot of posters were keen to quote Johnathon Brown when he said it was the worst ball movement he had seen in last 18 months. And yet no one bothered to add that Brown also said this wouldn’t be Buckley’s instruction. There isn’t a coach alive who would preach slow ball movement but for some reason the players aren’t displaying a desire to move the ball quickly. Maybe it’s the messaging ( clearly the coaches fault ) or maybe it’s the players. I dont know because as you said, I don’t sit on the meetings.
What I do know is that one of the qualities of being a good team is your ability to slow down down an oppositions ball movement.
In our case, we have a very ordinary list profile that is made up of a few past their peak guns and kids that are no where near ready and that’s hardly conducive to slowing down the momentum of any of the good teams going around. Conversely, we struggle to move the quickly because most oppositions have a better 22 than us right now . It could potentially be that simple. Having said that, Buckley has a responsibility for the list profile we currently have at hand.
Im not fussed if Buckley stays or goes ( although a change of assistants is required as a very minimum ) but for anyone to think he plans to move the ball as slow as humanly possible so as the opposition can set up, is ridiculous.
Today was 3rd vs 16th. That says enough to me on today’s outcome.
Blah blah blah. Here’s an idea- show Buckley the door after 10 years as a failed coach and let’s just see how that goes. Thoughts?
Blah, blah, blah ???

Typical of the salivating 'no game plan' cult.... just keep filling these pages with the same whining nonsense over and over.

I'm sure Bucks doesn't say "when we have a kick in from goal, chip it around inside the back 50, go nowhere and see what happens"... the players aren't backing themselves, they're not honouring leads, basically, they're not good enough.... yet. Some of the younger guys are showing potential and will no doubt develop in to solid AFL players, in a few years time.

I hate watching the way we play at the minute, but, if you think a new coach (and by the way, who?!) is going to magically change our players lack of ability, you're dreaming.
Whoever the new Coach is, I hope we give them 10 years 'Full Of Support'... then decide if we should keep them longer or not.
COLLINGW09D
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Many people keep raving about how good our defence has been all year, but to my eye, it's their poor movement of the ball from defence which has made it near impossible for our forwards to have much chance at all of competing one on one with their opponents. ...
We shouldn't be starting ball movement from defence. We should be getting centre clearances. That's what happens when the good teams score quickly.
I think Noble and IQ are both gems. They have an innate tendency to search out rapid, aggressive ball movement. IQ seems the more liberated of the two. Noble i think is being negatively influenced by the ultra defensive mindset of you know who. If Noble were liberated from this, I think he could really explode in his onfield impact.
so i dsagree in the sense that yes, we should be seeking out aggressive ball movement from defence, because we have the necessary personnel to execute it. The main issue is: what is the overarching emphasis of our coaching entourage? Clearly, it is: maintain possession at all costs, until you are sure that releasing will be to our advantage. Who then has the courage to deciding when this moment arises? Atomises our team into a rabble of individuals who keep palming off the responsibility to someone else.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

BEAMER09 wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.
This inept forward line was put together by this inept Coach.
Yep and we have been playing an inept keeping off game for far to long forit not to be under instruction. 22 players choosing to not do as they are told and dick around? I don’t think so.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Skids wrote:
Blah, blah, blah ???

Typical of the salivating 'no game plan' cult.... just keep filling these pages with the same whining nonsense over and over.

I'm sure Bucks doesn't say "when we have a kick in from goal, chip it around inside the back 50, go nowhere and see what happens"... the players aren't backing themselves, they're not honouring leads, basically, they're not good enough.... yet. Some of the younger guys are showing potential and will no doubt develop in to solid AFL players, in a few years time.

I hate watching the way we play at the minute, but, if you think a new coach (and by the way, who?!) is going to magically change our players lack of ability, you're dreaming.
Yep.
Important point (among several above) is that the players are not backing themselves in - there seems to a lack of faith in themselves and each other. Understandable when they've not spent a great deal of time playing together. That's where the example set by a senior player becomes so crucial, so well done JDG for leading the way in the second half.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Cruisinwithdids wrote: And because you are so certain of what Buckley doesn’t say, please enlighten those of us uneducated types who would like the club to be competitive - what does he say?????
This. I have been trying to express this concept for a while, but you nailed it in one sentence!! :D
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

^ ^ I suspect it's more a lack of faith in their coach, I mean he did lie about Trealor... but yes it could be they're not backing themselves for whatever reason... but of course they'll have to find that themselves because as we all know very well - it's not Nathan's job to motivate players.
Last edited by The Boy Who Cried Wolf on Sat May 29, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Skids wrote:
Blah, blah, blah ???

Yep.
Important point (among several above) is that the players are not backing themselves in - there seems to a lack of faith in themselves and each other. Understandable when they've not spent a great deal of time playing together. That's where the example set by a senior player becomes so crucial, so well done JDG for leading the way in the second half.
Important to ignore the deplorable coaching of Nathan Buckley as we were goalless at 1/2 time for the first time against Geelong since 1898.
PeterD35

Post by PeterD35 »

The guys that support Nathan Buckley you guys put a smile on my face, when we got into 2018 Grand final it was all about how good bucks and he's game plan is. But now when the team is not performing its all about how the players do not listen to him or are not up to scratch. So I am guessing when he took over from Mick and got handed a very good team why did they under perform and slide down the table Buckley needs to take some blame.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:
Yep and we have been playing an inept keeping off game for far to long forit not to be under instruction. 22 players choosing to not do as they are told and dick around? I don’t think so.
As usual TP, you cut through all the extraneous noise so brilliantly. You cannot explain this by 22 players who are incapable of executing Bux game plan (or even worse, refusing to). (!!) In the final analysis, you can only explain it as 22 players who are doing their best to execute Bux' gameplan, as they understand it.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

think positive wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.
This inept forward line was put together by this inept Coach.
100% it's under instruction.

If players week in week out don't do what the Coach wants them to do, why, I say why ain't they dropped from the team? I'll tell you why? cause it's under instruction.

You don't need to play one game of AFL to understand (or should I say see) what is going on with this club.

Ed and Bucks have diminished this club Big Time!!! I just don't know what other evidence others need than 10 years of it, culture and all.

AND there are plenty of Coaches out there, in fact HEAPS of them.

Club is asleep - Enough is Enough!!!
COLLINGW09D
think positive

Post by think positive »

Magpietothemax wrote:
K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Many people keep raving about how good our defence has been all year, but to my eye, it's their poor movement of the ball from defence which has made it near impossible for our forwards to have much chance at all of competing one on one with their opponents. ...
We shouldn't be starting ball movement from defence. We should be getting centre clearances. That's what happens when the good teams score quickly.
I think Noble and IQ are both gems. They have an innate tendency to search out rapid, aggressive ball movement. IQ seems the more liberated of the two. Noble i think is being negatively influenced by the ultra defensive mindset of you know who. If Noble were liberated from this, I think he could really explode in his onfield impact.
so i dsagree in the sense that yes, we should be seeking out aggressive ball movement from defence, because we have the necessary personnel to execute it. The main issue is: what is the overarching emphasis of our coaching entourage? Clearly, it is: maintain possession at all costs, until you are sure that releasing will be to our advantage. Who then has the courage to deciding when this moment arises? Atomises our team into a rabble of individuals who keep palming off the responsibility to someone else.
Yup

I really don’t think our team is all bad as some make out.

1 we need a decent forward. End of story. A solid marking forward. Right now we have checkers, who isn’t bad but he’s not big and strong enough to do it all. Darcy Cameron will be alright too but he’s not a true marking forward, not yet anyway. DeGoey cops a lot of flack, yes I think he could go harder, but it was clear when he went to the middle he and we were better. So why not switch him and Pendles? Let Pendles rest, let DeGoey get the fitness for burst running, pretty much the way Swan played, full pelt, rest. I want to see cox back in the side because he really does take 2 defenders. I know people and opposition don’t rate him, but right now he is all we have, and he is good enough that if he is one on one, he will get the ball and at least the. We have a chance to score. When they double team him it means we have less pressure on the other forwards.

Our defence is clearly missing the spunky one, Maynard needs to be encourage to step into the general role, as Maxy was. He doesn’t have to be the best player if he directs traffic. Adams is needed elsewhere.

I agree let noble and IQ of the leash, yes they will make mistakes, but you learn more from your mistakes than the things you know how to do.

I’m not worried that Daicos has been quiet, he will be right, as for the browns and JT, we cannot play all of them, it’s lunacy.

Don’t dick the ball around in defence, get it the **** out of there, roost it down the middle, do not do not do not kick it across the opposition goal. Ever! Until we get a genuine forward marking option dick it around the 50 til we find an opening, and go.

Practice at training making better decisions, crowd a player and make him move and not handpass until a player is free. I’d rather they get run down a couple of times than have another player taken out in the air.

My big thing was always every game telling my kids your responsibility doesn’t end with getting in position for s pass and calling for it, you have to make damn sure the next recipient is able to accept the pass. Make it precise, make it leading, how many times are opposition players simply intercepting the ball because a player is waiting for the ball instead of leading into it. Even if no one is around you go to the ball you never ever wait.

What led to those last goals was waiting for an opportunity rather than just thumping the ball forward. Yes I know they defenders were getting tired, thing is too that defenders tend to be bigger and usually less athletic, if our small forward can’t run the gauntlet then we need better small forwards. It’s not all on DeGoey, everytime someone bombs to him a player is on his neck, or holding his arm.

And I would love to see someone, anyone bring to light the Selwood thing, protecting the head is supposed to be a big priority and yet at least three times he was rewarded for ducking. A free should be paid against him.

Got to be honest I’m just glad we didn’t get thumped because I hate those bastards and their supporters more than any other! And right now I reckon cat fans would be more embarrassed than us! Cheers
Last edited by think positive on Sat May 29, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

BEAMER09 wrote:
think positive wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote: This inept forward line was put together by this inept Coach.
100% it's under instruction.

If players week in week out don't do what the Coach wants them to do, why, I say why ain't they dropped from the team? I'll tell you why? cause it's under instruction.

You don't need to play one game of AFL to understand (or should I say see) what is going on with this club.

Ed and Bucks have diminished this club Big Time!!! I just don't know what other evidence others need than 10 years of it, culture and all.

AND there are plenty of Coaches out there, in fact HEAPS of them.

Club is asleep - Enough is Enough!!!
Absolutely. There would be mass changes if Buckley was telling the players to attack and they were instinctively kicking the ball sideways 15 metres continuously.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:
As usual TP, you cut through all the extraneous noise so brilliantly. You cannot explain this by 22 players who are incapable of executing Bux game plan (or even worse, refusing to). (!!) In the final analysis, you can only explain it as 22 players who are doing their best to execute Bux' gameplan, as they understand it.
100% and I think the players know it wont work. I’m sick of having to watch blue collar football, it’s exhausting to watch, imagine trying to play it! Save the energy from over passing to get free when we are in possession, and man up when we ain’t. Again, this team is not that bad, the last quarter proved it, we have some really really good kids. I haven’t said much last couple of weeks re bux, but I want change now for the kids as much as the older players. They are not machines. And clearly, when allowed to take the game on, they ain’t bad. I’d rather lose at a canter, than win on my knees!

honourable Loss? More like embarrassing win for them!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

agree with comment of TP that our list is definitely not as bad as some would have us believe.
IQ and Noble have the potential to become a gun rebound HB unit.
Trent Bianco and Calob Poulter are looking good.
Who knows what might happen when Beau McCreery and Jamie Elliott meet up in our forward line?
JDG is a gun player who can play both as a forward and as a mid.
When we take on the game, we play well.
There is actually alot of talent on our list, and potential to create a very competitive team in the back half of this year.
I believe the main weakness in our line up right now is the coaches.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:
100% and I think the players know it wont work. I’m sick of having to watch blue collar football, it’s exhausting to watch, imagine trying to play it! Save the energy from over passing to get free when we are in possession, and man up when we ain’t. Again, this team is not that bad, the last quarter proved it, we have some really really good kids. I haven’t said much last couple of weeks re bux, but I want change now for the kids as much as the older players. They are not machines. And clearly, when allowed to take the game on, they ain’t bad. I’d rather lose at a canter, than win on my knees!

honourable Loss? More like embarrassing win for them!
lol TP...we won't win on our knees. !!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins