Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.
Believer
Pep

Post by Pep »

In the 2nd half we kicked 6 goals to 3 against an experienced cats team. This shows we have the capability of more that we have seen so far. And it shows the team is playing for bucks.

The team is so low on confidence that it needs to be addressed urgently.

Chris Mayne, is a fantasy pig, but game destroyer, Jack Magden can only play in defence but after Keane and Wilson.

Game has past sidey, or he can’t be a central cog in our team anymore. Pendles needs the load lifted from him to be effective again.
Callum brown had 3 marks, 3 tackles and 9 disposals at 89% efficiency, could of been a lot worse, took 2 good contested marks as well...

We are a decent mid and competent fwd away from being competitive again...
Elliott, Howe and Adams are so important to us.

That being said, this year is a blood the kids so when they come in they can contribute and not be relied upon as seasoned players.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.
I disagree with this. In his last presser, he asserted that how we played against PA was the blueprint: ie. keep possession of the ball by chipping it around, and thereby creating a large number of uncontested marks.
Why id the players suddenly take the game on in the last quarter, when the placard was raised, but didnt do so for the entire first half? So you are blaming our forwards for the inept, slow ball movement downfield.?? Jonathan Brown today made the comment numerous times that playing as a forward for Collingwood right now would be pretty much a nightmare. I don't like Jonathan Brown as a football commentator (he hates the Pies), but he most certainly knows what it takes to make an impact as a forward.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Piesnchess wrote:

Cats were not complacent, they would have loved to have belted us for their percentage. The ageiing Cats smashed the Tigers by 11 goals i will take a ten point loss against this power house forward line anyday,, and our kids were great give them some credit, that might be an idea. :o
Yep, this sure puts a more positive perspective on today's result. Thanks Piesnchess. :)
We are a team full of newcomers who have not yet had a proper chance to synchronise together, yet a very mature team who have played together for years can only score a handful of goals against us.
Hmmm. Can't wait to see what we'll be able to achieve when our newbies have all had 50 games plus together and when we get Nick Daicos and one or two KP forwards. The wheel will turn. :)
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

masoncox wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
masoncox wrote: He can't bend over to pick up the ball.
He fumbles now when not so long ago he never did.
He has lost a yard of pace and his reaction time is slightly less than before.
Father time is cruel.
You lose 1% of your talent and the gods get angry with you.
It is time for him to out with dignity.
Or can he play backflank?????

I don't know
So do you want Bianco to learn the game from a 300 game superstar past his peak or Biancos fellow team mates like Poulter, MacRae or Rantall ?
The next two years are all about getting the most out of our young talent and part of that is on the job training from the best. That means a lot more right now than retiring a bloke who now gets caught with the ball occasionally.
We have coaches to tell him what to do.
I never thought Pendles was a great online leader.
Great player not a great leader.
I don't want Pendles to leave as a broken down hack.
He needs to go out with great dignity.
Those coaches aren’t on the ground during the game and instruction is very different to leading. The last thing learnt is the first thing forgotten for these kids. It’s Pendleburys fifteen pre seasons that tell these kids where they have to be at particular on field situations.
On field instruction is a major part of these kids development.
As for Pendlebury, Buckley has already declared he’s carrying two injuries ( finger and undisclosed ) although his ribs weren’t undisclosed when the cameras showed them bandaged up at half time.
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Magpietothemax wrote:
winpies wrote:[quote="I was hoping for a Blow Out as might mean Change would Happen Finally
That's the spirit! Wonderful support shown right there :!:
Disagree with this philosophy. Love for Collingwood FC sometimes means that you are passionate about a change to the status quo when that status quo is unacceptable. If you see a blow out as the only mechanism leading to that, then you will hope for one. Refusal to consider such an opinion is simply blind acceptance of the status quo.[/quote]
Spot on magpies. Today was a terrible day for Collingwood FC - disgraceful coaching that took the piss out of the game of AFL.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

Stop it Joe, you’re speaking far too rationally and logically to be posting on this forum - some of the so called die hard Pies fans on here will be calling for you to be banned because you’re not falling into line bagging out the coach and game plan (which they’re all obviously privy to).
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Said by Zed wrote:

Stop it Joe, you’re speaking far too rationally and logically to be posting on this forum - some of the so called die hard Pies fans on here will be calling for you to be banned because you’re not falling into line bagging out the coach and game plan (which they’re all obviously privy to).
OK, so you dear Zed are not bagging the game plan. Therefore, you are privy to something we don't know. Please inform us what this. Why are you satisfied with the status quo? Obviously you know something we don't.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

These a really valid points you make (in my opinion only of course!).
It astonishes me too that posters can say with outright confidence that they know exactly what Bucks' instructions are!!! (It's a doubtful that they have the ability to read someone's mind from many kms away !).

I agree too that many players lack confidence atm. Playing alongside lots of new team mates could also contribute to a lack of team cohesion. ... to be expected.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Careful there - it sounds like you're being seduced by No Clue Nathan, who is after all, a master in the art of deflection and blaming everybody else but himself for all that is wrong with Collingwood. Notice how it's never ever his fault? and the media give him an arm chair ride cos he's 'a nice bloke' with lots of friends in the industry and he has a manager who also manages many of the media personalities and journalists too, so they're never going to put him down are they..

No Clue Nath literally has no idea. What you saw today and have seen for the past 9 years (minus 2018 cos that was longmuir, boyd and hocking) is all nath's doing. This is his side, this is his game plan and this is how he coaches the side to play each and every week. All the backwards, sideways short pass over possessive nature of our game and style, is No Clue Nathan.

The sooner he goes the better cos he's literally destroying the careers of our players.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:

These a really valid points you make (in my opinion only of course!).
It astonishes me too that posters can say with outright confidence that they know exactly what Bucks' instructions are!!! (It's a doubtful that they have the ability to read someone's mind from many kms away !).

I agree too that many players lack confidence atm. Playing alongside lots of new team mates could also contribute to a lack of team cohesion. ... to be expected.
Jonathan Brown stated on air that over the last 18 months Collingwood has shown the worst ball movement that he has ever witnessed in the modern AFL competition!! How therefore do you claim that this has nothing to do with the gameplan??We are not just talking about today. We are talking about the historical record.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

[quote="Said by Zed
Stop it Joe, you’re speaking far too rationally and logically to be posting on this forum - some of the so called die hard Pies fans on here will be calling for you to be banned because you’re not falling into line bagging out the coach and game plan (which they’re all obviously privy to).[/quote]

Well Said Jed!!!! I'm with you! Also, I applaud the courage of Joe to be prepared to speak up against those who make unfounded assumptions.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

The "Believers" keep referring to the 'unfounded assumptions" of those who criticise the game plan of Bux. Their constant refrain is: how do the critics purport to know what the game plan is? Therefore, Bux and his entourage can never be rationally blamed for the current unacceptable onfield performances. For all we know, Bux and his associates have an appropriate game plan, it is merely that our players are incapable of executing it.
It never occurs to them that such a thing as empirical evidence exists in the real world. While no one here is privy to what Bux actually is saying to our team at the Lexus Centre, we can observe the onfield results and make hypotheses and deductions based on this. Historically, this was how scientific knowledge developed. The defenders of Bux have never explained what their insight is as to why it is not Bux's gameplan which is destroying the potential attacking energy of our team. Their only argument is that the critics of the game plan have never actually heard what message Bux delivers to the team. This is equivalent to the argument that you cannot understand the role of the Sun in the solar system unless you have actually been there.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:I won't be fooled by that last 5 minute rally to turn a comatose 5 goal loss into an honourable 2 goal loss. We were putrid again for 115 minutes and great for 5. I would say, as too did Tom Hawkins after the game that the Cats got complacent in this game. How boring it was. Look at the first 115 minutes how we played, not the last 5 minutes. Geelong complacency was the only thing saving us from a belting. I won't take this result as hope for the future, nobody should. It only esures this shitshow continues its run.

Cats were not complacent, they would have loved to have belted us for their percentage. The ageiing Cats smashed the Tigers by 11 goals i will take a ten point loss against this power house forward line anyday,, and our kids were great give them some credit, that might be an idea. :o
Spoken like a man who had the very good sense not to watch the match. You couldn't possibly be saying that if you'd seen any of it.

For a so called moderator u have a mighty big mouth, really, i listened on the radio, genius for your info. So i guess a team full of kids against an ancient hardened team, that belted the Tigers by 11 goals, but lost by only ten points is worse than the side that got belted ? yeh brilliant logic that is, whatever. Im proud of our kids, even if ur not. Dont bother replying, im done with so much negative shit on here an your a prime example, mr Moderator. :roll: :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

58pie wrote:Heratior Lumumba has set us back 10 years
Should be under the jokes thread. BTW I think you might be referring to Heretier.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman