Post Match. Pies down to Giants. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Buckley should find himself a nice media job for the next ten years and then retire gracefully. He’s milked Collingwood enough for the last 10 years. And I’m done with his spin like I believe most fans have too.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Sensei Grundy wrote:You’re comparing Buckley to Malthouse?

F..k me, people have lost the plot.

Malthouse should have been given an extension after 2010. Three more years. Not have to go through the indignity of winning a Premiership and taking the team to another GF knowing he had to give the coaching position to Buckley who never was a senior coach at any other club and had a couple of seasons as Malthouse’s understudy.

Are some people so blind when it comes to Collingwood?
Fair bit of revisionism there mate. Before the handover, everyone was bagging Malthouse, no game plan, too defensive, didn’t play the kids and had favourites, been at the club too long and needed to go, etc. Maxwell and others have said Malthouse leaving inspired them in 2010, they played for Mick. If Mick wasn’t leaving, we wouldn’t have got Ball and Jolly, instrumental to the flag win. Short memories. FFS it was over a decade ago, build a bridge and get over it.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

I'm not sure anyone has ever actually offered a compelling case that we wouldn't have picked up Ball and Jolly if it hadn't been for Malthouse knowing his time was nearly up. We finished 2009 in 4th spot with our premiership window very much open and a number of great young players coming through, desperately needed a ruckman and Ball just happened to be going for free. So to my mind the notion that we only won the premiership in 2010 because of Buckley has always just been a narrative.
Last edited by David on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Culprit »

Normally I would be really pissed off and in saying that I expected to lose. My wallet was on GWS who needed their first win and the AFL would have been into the Umpires to make sure this would happen as it's good for football. Not that GWS needed any help, we gifted them the win. Losing Adams is going to hurt. I feel the Club has to focus on the future and blood the kids, we can't look backwards. This requires a change of Coach as Buckley won't quit or give in. It's not in his nature. There is no way he will get offered a new contract this year so the club has to make the call sooner rather than later or else we will just waste a year. No matter who comes in, their job is to blood the kids and if we finish bottom then so be it.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

As for playing the kids, we did and all I saw were Nicksters calling Ruscoe and Henry duds.
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Mr Miyagi, it ALL stems from that disastrous decision.

Post by 1970 »

Piesnchess wrote:
1970 wrote:What a sad pitiful spectacle Collingwood has become.

The blind faith of so many of you in McGuire, Buckley et al means you are now left with a soulless corporate brand devoid of meaning.

It stands for nothing.

The Club will struggle to survive this. It is going to get much, much worse.

It is a vanity project for one man who is completely deluded.

Clarkson won't go near the joint. It's rubbish and he knows it.

I note you have , for years, never ever post when we win a game, you just only post when we lose, too gloat over losses, and the club being in the mire. Its all doom and gloom for you, and you always thrive on it. I can never recall you posting after a good win, never ever. Just saying. :o
Not much past gets past you. I closed 'Collingwood ruined my Life' each and every time by saying 'Collingwood is tragedy'. It used to be successful but now it is the epitome of abject failure. Time and again. Collingwood supporters who are self aware know this. It is a niche market.

That was 10 years ago. This is simply the end of yet another tragic era. There are more to come. A win is simply a momentary reprieve. Who cares.

However, the problem now is that The Club is just an empty vessel. No proper home. A board that is unelected. No social club. Just empty slogans and people who chatter online.

It stands for nothing. Nothing. That is the real tragedy.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

And a bit of revisionism on your part too. It may have done this or it may have done that but clearly a little bit of flexibility should have been given to the situation. Eddie was desperate to make Buckley, his hero, coach. In the end it was an emotional captains call made on behalf of two individuals, over the clubs best interests.

@Mr Miyagi
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

4 Premierships since WWII.

Richmond 3 in the last 4 years.

And some want to persist with the current coaching arrangement. Buckley and his “yes” men Sanderson and Harvey. Note, all three haven’t won a Premiership.

Enough said.
David
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Not sure we should be blaming Buckley for what happened in the 67 years before he became coach ...
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Leggie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Looking forward to the bye.
Wont get to see us play like shit.
Bring Back Tranquilli
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Save for one scrappy, appalling semi-final in which we fell over the line, Collingwood has not beaten GWS since round 16, 2016. That was actually the last time I can recall Collingwood selecting a proper key forward. The result? Collingwood kicked 19 goals.

Remember - that was the game in which GWS kicked 7 goals in the first quarter. Watching this Collingwood team, now - bereft of Cloke as it is - who would seriously think we could respond to any opposition's 7-goal first quarter with a 9-goal second quarter?

Ah, yes, the good old days - when idiots on Nick's seriously debated the value of a CHF who could carry the Club to a win with an 18 kick (20 disposals), 12 mark (6 inside 50, 5 contested), 4 goal, 2 goal-assist, 6 inside 50 game.

Personally, I enjoy watching Cox get 5 kicks and 5 handballs and a couple of hit-outs, with a goal every so often. It's better for team balance.
DT
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Wait till mid year but if things are not improving then I would sack Buckley. At least we have Graham Wright on board and clear air post Eddie to make some key decisions about the future.

I agree with the comments about the financial mismanagement of the salary cap. Why do we overpay players?

Also a question...will Grundy handle the pressue or will he wilt?
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

This pre-game post from the Collingwood FC social media team aged well:

collingwood_fc pre-game chuckles
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNepGbNh4gA/
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/