Post Match. Pies down to Giants. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Sensei Grundy wrote:Did anyone see Thunderbird’s presser last night?
Same old same old... pretty much same old excuses come out...
it's like groundhog day.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... nce!799829

At the start he says 'belted, instead of 'nutted' at the clearances (you can see the word forming in his head...), then he goes to his old failsafe.. stats... nothing to do with substance or heart etc etc... he's not, and never has been a good head coach. Great assistant though...
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

The decade long Buckley/McGuire highjacking of the club is almost complete. A club that had just had a season of winning 22 from 25 games has slowly declined each year (bar one) into an unrecognisable shell of a team. I agree with most on here, the quicker this horrible coach leaves the better for Colllingwood. The lack of flexibility with players that can play duel roles, such as Roughead, Moore & Howe are used to stop the bleeding when they can all play forward if the ball.
The trading of good players for non football reasons has now spanned two eras - 2012/13 & 2020. If we look at the years 2014 to 17 it gives an idea of how bad things look ahead.
The messiah factor that has killed this club is contrary to the selfless leadership of Richmond where Gale & O’Neill prepare to replace themselves leaving the club in a very healthy state. A little different to McGuire going kicking & screaming after 23 years. This is the whole problem. We need to let go of individualistic leadership without governance. Pure jobs for mates shit.
The hope we have is to get a new coach, drop / trade / delist underperforming players, and start to see new young players show something exciting , win or lose, so that we can start to build this club back up. We need to shelve the idea of a big money free agent and Take our medicine once and for all at the draft. We have to acknowledge where we are. Only then can we begin.
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

That was terrible.
Last game I saw live was the losing prelim in 2019 and it looked the same. Same team beats us with the same plan and our coaches and players have learned nothing.
Why do we have a forward line that lives outside the 50 meter arc and has to run back to position if we have possession. Good teams keep forwards in the forward line and run at the ball carrier on a lead.
Sidebottom runs a lot to receive 20 meter passes but that's about it.
The only change to normal was Madgen on a wing - which worked out okay.
Why wasn't Maynard on Toby Greene from the start ? Why did it take five goals ?
Why do our midfield stand so far away from Grundy at centre bounces ? The opposition ruckman was often the closest to the ball and did the clearance.
Time for changes.
go pies
masoncox

Post by masoncox »

1970 wrote:What a sad pitiful spectacle Collingwood has become.

The blind faith of so many of you in McGuire, Buckley et al means you are now left with a soulless corporate brand devoid of meaning.

It stands for nothing.

The Club will struggle to survive this. It is going to get much, much worse.

It is a vanity project for one man who is completely deluded.

Clarkson won't go near the joint. It's rubbish and he knows it.
I think the social club sums it up perfectly.
A social club that in reality is a corporate centre open to conferences and weddings.
Money making place run by people who are friends of someone that we all know.
No proper social club, no proper fan or explayer hangouts.
No cheer squad.
I think even Joffa only turns up occasionally.
Like me really.
There is a reason why we have only won 4 flags in 84 years.
A toxic culture of mateship and backward thinking and beliefs in the "messiah"
We were the Catholic Club.
So the messiah was always around the corner.
Ask our greatest player in Bobbie Rose
Left us at 27 to play in the country league.
Because of the insane idea that everyone got the same pay.
Lets make this year the year we bury all messiahs.
Lets pick a dour, methodical and well organised board, ceo and coaching staff.
No more talk of saviours and mates only competence and ability.
How we stuffed up the salary cap is beyond belief.
Incompetence and no ability there.
I want a President who is bloody boring and not known by the great majority of punters.
I want a coach who is a plain talker and not a liar or a coach who talks like a politician.
I want a team that works as a team and not a team of robbie the robots.
I want a couple of hard men on the playing field.
I want players who are not on 7 year contracts.
I want to feel some passion for this team and for the club in general.
masoncox

Post by masoncox »

dp
Last edited by masoncox on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Sensei Grundy wrote:FIGJAM no Premiership as a player. And none as a coach. 25 years at the club and no Premiership. A quarter of a century and no Premiership. Think about that for a moment. Do you reckon this obsession with him has to end at some stage? I mean, isn’t it insane we continue persisting?

Gosh I wish there was a like button on this forum.

And yet, posters are talking finals, (still) after last nights performance, I just spat out my Milo onto my iPad mini, that’s how ludicrous that suggestion is!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Mostly fair comments here except for one. Buckley could have been a multiple premiership player had he stayed at Brisbane. And Buckley will always be in a handful of the greatest ever players who have played for Collingwood. The fault doesn’t lie with Buckley. It lies squarely with the club who have taken their eye off the ball. The great Jock McHale knew that the club was about winning premierships and everything else takes a back seat. The best AFL coaches are bastards and the truth is that Buckley was never a big enough bastard to make it as an AFL coach. He almost pulled it off in 2018 but unfortunately the stars didn’t quite align for us. Since 2018 there’s been a succession of poor decisions made which has caused us to slide down the ladder, most notably poor list management. Unfortunately those poor list management decisions are going to have to be dealt with our next coach and I think that someone like Clarkson will be weary of taking on the job for that reason. I’m assuming now that Buckley will go at the end of the season, but really the entire football department including the one most responsible for this mess, Ned Guy, should put in their resignations before they’re sacked.
Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
metersgained7

Post by metersgained7 »

Guttered by last nights performance. I’m grateful that Eddie turned our financial position around and I’m even more grateful that he has left. We need a no nonsense Peggy don’t know her last name as Richmond do.

We need to play kids for the rest of the year and give sier at least 5 more games so that a decision can be made on him in the off season. To me he seems lazy always argues the point with umpires and players seem to be able to get out of a lazy tackle from a 80+ 191 mid. You have your chance Phil inn you either want to take your opportunity and put in or go and play c grade basketball.

We need a non collingwood coach sorry Scott burns timings just not right.
My first choice is voss and I’d get him to bring in full and part timers
Jono brown
Aker sounds crazy but part time small forward craft
Simon black for the kids
Leppitsch
I’m sure that this bunch who have pedigrees of being ruthless on the field will shake our list up.

In reality it won’t happen but at least I’d like Voss as the coach.
metersgained7
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Been a long time guest on this forum but have never really felt motivated enough to post...until this season.

Along with most on here, I love the Collingwood FC more than could be considered normal or rational. I’m prepared each year to spend my hard earned to support her, travel long distances to see her, protect her from insurmountable forces, defend the indefensible, and forgive the unforgivable...... but what I’ve realised is she just doesn’t give a shit about me or love me anywhere near as much as I love her.

I’ve always been a cup half-full supporter but what’s been transpiring over the last several seasons at our great club, and I’m going to have to concede to the doom sayers probably going back to the ‘coaching handover’, is nothing short of chronic corporate mismanagement, self indulgence, and pure unadulterated sanitation and synthetisation of our once strong and proud brand and identity.

This is evidenced in many ways:

1. Our poor premiership strike rate for a so called ‘power house’
2. Inability to develop, sustain and maintain a dynasty football team
3. Lack of reality and tough calls regarding recruitment and coaching personnel. We lose effective coaches to other clubs and keep less effective coaches as if we owe them something i.e. Harvey. Great player, shit coach. Our midfield even when everyone was saying was a Rolls Royce mostly played like a Vauxhall. We should have been blowing teams apart but obvious deficiencies in tactics and coaching prevented this. Sanderson. Honestly do not know what he was ever door for other than to provide support to Bucks.
4. Inability to prevent constant and chronic yearly season defining and affecting scandal and issue - don’t have to list them, we all know them all too well.
5. Inability to manage salary cap effectively (legally or otherwise) to ensure we can access best available talent when neeeded ala Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn. How come their salary caps are never questioned or troubled....because they have appropriate imaginative management.

Never thought I’d be one of those....but the winds of change must surely be blowing through CFC soon.

Check it out for yourself if you don’t believe me - the evidence doesn’t lie.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:Sier had gastro, and was ill all game according to Buckley.

The incompetence of this club knows no bounds.

I’m lost for words.
Really??
Mind boggling.
Why was he selected then/
Shows the lack of depth,,,or the perceived lack of depth by the coaching staff
It’s gastro, it happens. One minute you’re ok, the next min you’re not. I would have been more concerned if he rocked up with his arm in a sling and they still played him.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

daics aka the ruckman wrote: Why wasn't Maynard on Toby Greene from the start ? Why did it take five goals ?
Same story with Malthouse, remember we lost a grand final because he made the change too late.

Greenwood made an immediate impact in the middle, he was winning clearances!
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Several sides have played youth ,in particular Sydney and are showing improvement
Due to injury our opponent last was forced to with a positive result

NB said we picked what we thought was the best 22 to win the game
“Obviously it wasn’t “ he said -So if that’s the case take a risk like other sides

It ain’t hard to fathom that as a way to go
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I’ve been a broken record here for the last two/three years saying we have to start playing our youth. Most of the responses I got here from posters were, the club knows what’s it’s doing and you don’t play youth until they’re ready. Well the facts are that since we grew more reliant on an existing core of senior players in their late twenties and early thirties, the team’s been sliding down the ladder. Our ladder position is the reality. Everything else is fantasies and speculation. Buckley should now come out for the sake of the Collingwood supporters and admit that he was wrong. It won’t save his job but it’ll make the job easier for the next coach if we start playing our youth now and Buckley has always stated his interests are those of the Collingwood football club.
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

You’re comparing Buckley to Malthouse?

F..k me, people have lost the plot.

Malthouse should have been given an extension after 2010. Three more years. Not have to go through the indignity of winning a Premiership and taking the team to another GF knowing he had to give the coaching position to Buckley who never was a senior coach at any other club and had a couple of seasons as Malthouse’s understudy.

Are some people so blind when it comes to Collingwood?

PLEASE NEVER EVER choose another former player as a coach. Always go outside the club. Buckley will never win a Premiership. At any club. Live with it. Champion player, very very average coach. The fact he hasn’t figured out how to fix the forward line issue is indicative. After years of the problem persisting.
Last edited by Peponi on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
matrix10

Post by matrix10 »

Usually an optimist - but that was as bad as I’ve seen
No spirit- no leadership.
Sadly was inevitable- just like last week and every other time this team is up against a team with everything going against them. We will likely beat WCE in perth as we tend to find something when our backs are vainer the wall
There is no consistency- apart from our inconsistency

Our best players - according to everyone else- Grundy, Pendlebury and Sidey were atrocious last night. Grundy looks lost- a scared little (actually enormous) little boy dominated by an overweight bloke who was lured back from retirement and is there 3rd choice ruck against anyone else
Pendles has cost us crucial goals in every game this year- unheard of previously
Sidey- second half Ok- but his disposal and decision making looks like he is still feeling the all nighter from last year where he ended up at Wells house
Madgen played the game of his life - and always looked to move the ball.
Howe, Cox, Moore were the only others who looked to move the ball quickly

The team looked stagnant- no one running - just standing still- kick long to Mihocek outnumbered 2/3-1 and rinse and repeat

McCreery gave his all- did everything you could ask- and bodies the ball and player- unlike De Goey- who squibbed the contest on 3 or 4 occasions.

Maynard should have been on Greene form the beginning- that said - his first 3 goals came out the back from shocking defensive work form our useless midfield- IQ couldnt do much about that

Something is not right- the efforts in the last few minutes last week and again last night highlight something seriously wrong at the club. The apparent apathy of senior players is scary.
As others have mentioned- bar Jamie- this is as good as it gets.
Play the kids- give us something to get excited about- play with freedom and attacking mindset and I can handle losses knowing we are rebuilding.
We are ordinary and really should have lost to carlton- who look better advanced than us

The biggest issue is our midfield- we are useless- backline is fantastic and our make shift forward line does the best it can do- hard when the delivery is so slow and poorly executed

Get rid of Robert Harvey - need a new midfield coach - maybe Bucks might be better suited to line coach than senior coach?