Post Match. Pies down to Giants. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

E

Post by E »

i would say the following players are pretty much seeing out time (in order in my opinion).

1. Sier
2. Brown
3. Mayne
4. Roughead
5. Thomas
6. WHE (even though he had a really good second half)
7. Greenwood

I hate to say it but Pendles wasn't hot tonight. Finally starting to see him make mistakes.

I also hate to say this but Maynard has started making those errors he used to make at the start of his career that kept costing us goals. He needs to stop doing that and strart playing within his limitations.

Hold head up high - Moore, Adams (we were lost without him), Crisp, Magden, Mihocek, Sidey, Daicos, Quaynor.

Shadows of what they are capable of - De Goey, Howe, Maynard, Cox, Grundy (low on confidence)
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Piesnchess wrote:Took my time coming on here, just bitterly disappointed, a very low and poor loss for the Club, totally lackluster. Plainly, we have players who have simply run out of gas, and have nothing more too give. I think we need to spell them in the VFL, and start blooding as many kids as we can, its no good persevering with the same old players who let us down week after week. Bucks will no dubt depart at seasons end, as he has said he will. Clearly we are not going to do much this season, so may as well get something positive out of it, and bring in as many kids as possible, blood them now, with an eye to next season and beyond. At least kids can bring enthusiasm to a team, we cannot keep going as we are, time to adopt a total re build youth policy now, get something out of the season, at least.
Yeah, Pies4Chess. I feel for you, and for me too. Despite my frequent disagreements with what you write, I know you are one of those bedrock supporters, who love the team, and stay loyal, whatever the volcano might spew at us. I understand totally why you took your time to come here. We need to process the falllout from this game. Hopefully though, Bux will walk midseason. Because then we will have a chance to regroup and resposition ourselves in 2022
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

E wrote:i would say the following players are pretty much seeing out time (in order in my opinion).

1. Sier
2. Brown
3. Mayne
4. Roughead
5. Thomas
6. WHE (even though he had a really good second half)
7. Greenwood

I hate to say it but Pendles wasn't hot tonight. Finally starting to see him make mistakes.

I also hate to say this but Maynard has started making those errors he used to make at the start of his career that kept costing us goals. He needs to stop doing that and strart playing within his limitations.

Hold head up high - Moore, Adams (we were lost without him), Crisp, Magden, Mihocek, Sidey, Daicos, Quaynor.

Shadows of what they are capable of - De Goey, Howe, Maynard, Cox, Grundy (low on confidence)
Bit harsh on Sier. If he was sick (gastro) as we seem to be publicising, it is not his fault that we selected him.
Agree about Mayne... he is courageous and fights like hell, but he is so programmed by the Buckley microchip that he dare not venture off the Bux's pregame coding. Kicks backwards, sideways, and pauses the game because of his terror of not following the script. Maynard...just a bad game..; I wont think differently until he strings several together like that...
Pendles had a bad game... but would not be writing the champ off just yet...
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Cant wait for the Collingwood rant from Sly and Spook. These guys are just amazing. They know how to tap into the Collingwood psyche, and resonate with our anger while relieving us with laughter. Looking forward to your review of this game, guys. It will help me maintain my sanity (no pressure)
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Took my time coming on here, just bitterly disappointed, a very low and poor loss for the Club, totally lackluster. Plainly, we have players who have simply run out of gas, and have nothing more too give. I think we need to spell them in the VFL, and start blooding as many kids as we can, its no good persevering with the same old players who let us down week after week. Bucks will no dubt depart at seasons end, as he has said he will. Clearly we are not going to do much this season, so may as well get something positive out of it, and bring in as many kids as possible, blood them now, with an eye to next season and beyond. At least kids can bring enthusiasm to a team, we cannot keep going as we are, time to adopt a total re build youth policy now, get something out of the season, at least.
Yeah, Pies4Chess. I feel for you, and for me too. Despite my frequent disagreements with what you write, I know you are one of those bedrock supporters, who love the team, and stay loyal, whatever the volcano might spew at us. I understand totally why you took your time to come here. We need to process the falllout from this game. Hopefully though, Bux will walk midseason. Because then we will have a chance to regroup and resposition ourselves in 2022
nn

True mate, also theres no doubt we are missing both Elliott and Treloar badly now. Elliotts long term injury was especially galling, as he was coming back to his creative best form. Treloar was a big loss, ok he went over salary cap issues, i get that, but what i dont get is how some clubs seem to go on serenely, say Geelong, retain all their stars, yet still find the coin and cap room to get Cameron and HIggins, dont they have a cap down at Catland? and other sides too, we seem to be the only team hit be salary cap troubles, yet other teams have very highly paid players, like Grundy, and yet still go along and recruit whomever they fancy, that i dont understand at all .Plus, we did delist and retire 15 players, i dont get why we seem to be the only team with cap problems ??. Very strange. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Normally I rewatch the game try and pick up some things I miss watching it live but I can’t bring myself to even think about watching that disaster again fully (I stopped when we were 10 behind with 15 to go)

Instead of bagging players tonight (and there’s plenty to bag) I’m going to ask supporters these 3 questions

1. How can team like Geelong land experienced decent players every year stay in contention and not have salary cap issues ?
2. How is it Treloar looks like a A grade player (the same sort we traded away the farm for when we got him) at the dogs and when he was with us he turned the ball over with frequency and looked lost a lot of times ?
3. How do we never seem to be able to handle any sort of adversity ?

Answer these questions and you will find the basis for our current position

We have a playing group clearly devoid of confidence (be it confidence in the coach the game plan each other or a mixture of all)
We have players knowing they will get picked each week no matter what they serve up
When you watch the players leave the field there’s about half of them that are smiling and laughing (I find this completely disgusting)
We have too much money invested in players who don’t impact the game and are basically lazy when things don’t go there way or are beaten by a opponent (Grundy JDG Sidey there’s about $2.3m in cap space wasted most weeks)
Pendles looms to be so tired of carrying this team in his shoulders for years. Our loyal leader looks a shadow of his former self maybe Father Time is knocking hard in his door now
Our defence as usual was our only saving grace (add Daicos and Crisp and Checkers) they tried all night but were constantly let down by limited upfield pressure
Watching this team is tiring instead of enjoyable I actually find it quite upsetting to watch now. I get far more enjoyment watching the ladies team try there guts out and look completely devastated when they lose

This bunch of mainly over paid players who aren’t held accountable for poor performances should all be sat down and told some home truths
I’m going to stop now before I really unload and have the good wife searching for her bible to bless my sinning soul
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Where do you start. When Collingwood can't beat a second string giants team who made 5 changes and were missing some of their best players, then you know something is wrong; and if it's true we selected Sier who was ill with gastro then our selection committee should be sacked now.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this team and has been for some time. Our game plan is devoid of flair and excitement and instead revolves around super slow ball movement and over possession; we chip the ball around backwards, sideways, only to go long and have 3 of our players jump at it while no one stays down. Our decision making is deplorable and we turn the ball over with ease because we allow the opposition to back up and create pressure. Where the f*** is the pressure??? Our players run about flapping their arms in the air instead of laying tackles thereby allowing their opponents to run rings around us.

I know you can't win every game but you at least want to see you team try and have a go. You want to see hope for the future. Right now, I see nothing of that. We are a team devoid of confidence. Our ball use is pathetic (sloppy under pressure handballs and high up and under kicks). Our decision making is extremely poor (too many rushed kicks or choosing players outnumbered 2:1) Notice how we always have 2 to players jumping for the same ball while no one stays down to crumb.

Our defence is the only thing saving us atm. Our midfield is weak and can't win a clearance to save themselves. They are either out of position or happily feed off Grundy's taps. Why he doesn't just smash the bloody thing forward is beyond me. Our forwards are copping some terrible delivery but don't help themselves by not converting when it counts and making a greater effort to at least trap the ball in our forward 50. Mccreery (first gamer) had the most tackles tonight. Let that sink in.

Buckley's goose is cooked and he seriously needs to go - NOW! The players don't play for him. They run around flat footed looking at each other most of the time wondering what to do. This is a game we needed to win in order to make a statement on the back of last week's stuff up but no, we screwed it up. Notice how we always go about getting our goals the hard way while other teams seem to move the ball with ease. I guess it comes down to skills, game plan and confidence. We need to stop rewarding underperforming players on the back of good form from 2-3 years ago. This hurts our player development because we have young guys just lingering in the vfl while their more senior team mates are gifted games.

We still have the nucleus of a good side but the relationship between buckley and the players has soured, and we will only continue to regress under his coaching. When you have pendlebury making constant skill errors and getting caught out then you know something's wrong. We've had 10 years of this crap and it won't get any better. We desperately need someone new with fresh ideas and enthusiasm to regenerate our list and rejuvenate player enthusiasm.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Is there any report/link re the Geelong vs Collingwood VFL practice match anywhere re how we went - cant seem to find anything online?
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:My enthusiasm is waning fast. I didn't expect finals this year, but we need to try and be competitive and provide supporters hope going forward.

If we're going to get something out of the year we need to start changing things whether it's personnel or game style. I've already conceded in my mind that barring a total collapse, Buckley will be seeing out of the year. I want him moved on, but mid-season changes don't happen often in this day and age.

McCreery was a limelight. Battled hard at every contest and gave a good account of himself on debut.

If nothing changes on the coaching front, we need start playing our kids and see what they can produce. Time to see if Murphy deserves the hype he received a few years ago? Start blooding the likes of McCrae, McInnes, Ruscoe, Rantall, T. Brown etc. It's better than the same old players being selected on average form.

Tonight was embarrassing. We had three day extra break, home ground advantage and an opposition with a decimated injury list and that's the best we could produce on the night?
Our half time chat was the 2nd best thing of the night, aside from McCreas goal.

We both said the same, this constant defend the barrage, win the ball back, and them simply bob into the forward line and hope for the best must stop, clearly it’s not working, where s the planB? Why not try Moore or Howe forward? Or, since everyone is blaming him for basically the worlds problems, Grundy? Anything, try anything.

I have never witnessed a more boring, dour, miserable, pathetic effort, how can a team that reached a prelim 2 years ago, won a final last year, come up with that insipid effort? Pendles had more WTF moments last night than in his entire career combined, no confidence, seemingly no desire to try anything different. Collecting a pay packet, no guts. Moore and a couple others can hold their heads up. This team is not a team that is only capable of that display, it doesn’t matter anymore what kind of coach Bucks is, he’s lost them, I’m not surprised, the whole Treloar thing, not because he’s gone, but the way he went, I just always thought Buckley was a better person than that, it doesn’t matter who’s lies they were, he voiced them. The very moment EVERY player on the list hugged up to Adam at the end of that first game, it was over.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Normally I rewatch the game try and pick up some things I miss watching it live but I can’t bring myself to even think about watching that disaster again fully (I stopped when we were 10 behind with 15 to go)

Instead of bagging players tonight (and there’s plenty to bag) I’m going to ask supporters these 3 questions

1. How can team like Geelong land experienced decent players every year stay in contention and not have salary cap issues ?
2. How is it Treloar looks like a A grade player (the same sort we traded away the farm for when we got him) at the dogs and when he was with us he turned the ball over with frequency and looked lost a lot of times ?
3. How do we never seem to be able to handle any sort of adversity ?

Answer these questions and you will find the basis for our current position

We have a playing group clearly devoid of confidence (be it confidence in the coach the game plan each other or a mixture of all)
We have players knowing they will get picked each week no matter what they serve up
When you watch the players leave the field there’s about half of them that are smiling and laughing (I find this completely disgusting)
We have too much money invested in players who don’t impact the game and are basically lazy when things don’t go there way or are beaten by a opponent (Grundy JDG Sidey there’s about $2.3m in cap space wasted most weeks)
Pendles looms to be so tired of carrying this team in his shoulders for years. Our loyal leader looks a shadow of his former self maybe Father Time is knocking hard in his door now
Our defence as usual was our only saving grace (add Daicos and Crisp and Checkers) they tried all night but were constantly let down by limited upfield pressure
Watching this team is tiring instead of enjoyable I actually find it quite upsetting to watch now. I get far more enjoyment watching the ladies team try there guts out and look completely devastated when they lose

This bunch of mainly over paid players who aren’t held accountable for poor performances should all be sat down and told some home truths
I’m going to stop now before I really unload and have the good wife searching for her bible to bless my sinning soul
Sums it up. The team has gone backwards to the time they were all feign orders, afraid to take the game on. Buckley is hanging on tight, he still thinks he’s the Messiah but no one is listening.

Your comment about the players walking off smiling, I could not agree more, I’ve saud many time over the last three years, I want passion, I want then
invested, I want them to hurt like me.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I said earlier, our problem is that success can only be achieved through expending massive amounts of energy, Every goal we kick takes so much effort.

We seem to need 2 or 3 times the number of inside 50s to score the same number of goals as other teams. This inefficient, highly taxing game plan isn't sustainable over 120 minutes just like it isn't sustainable over 22 weeks.

Rather than recruiting skilled players, we seem to recruit work horses and tackling machines, or, coach the flair out of these players so that their instinct is to tackle a player and lock the ball in.

Not since Didak have we had a player who might kick 4 goals with only 6 kicks in a game.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

FIGJAM will try and win as many games as he can before he’s shown the door. It’s all about him since 2012. He may blood 1-2 more players and give them a couple of games but he won’t introduce all and persist with them.

I try and not think about the madness of 2011 and how we smashed every single team except one. And lost it because of Eddie’s grand plan to have FIGJAM with no coaching experience (except two years as assistant) take over from a seasoned professional with Premierships under his belt having a team play exciting football. It is to this day still baffling me.

We all wanted to see FIGJAM be successful. But he just doesn’t have it in him to have the team play exciting brand of football or any brand. He can’t blame the list. He inherited one of the youngest Premiership winning teams in the history of the game and slowly and ruthlessly cull it. The mere fact that for years he couldn’t solve the forward line debacle shows he just doesn’t cut it. Quality talent doesn’t want to come to Collingwood. We should have secured a key forward the last couple of seasons. The writing was on the wall when Lynch, a Collingwood supporter, chose the Tigers.

The disrespect shown to Premiership players was disgraceful. Shaw should never have left. Or Thomas.

FIGJAM is dead man walking.

Collingwood is going to be in a lot of pain for the next 3-5 years thanks to the ego of FIGJAM and Eddie everywhere.

Ten years of madness.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
princem007 wrote:Wow so many expert coaches amongst our posters. You should go down to the club Monday and give them the game plan to work and help Buckley pack his bags. Lol
I would if I could. Heartbeat.
and me and I would've packed his bags 4-5 years ago...
COLLINGW09D
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I note ,with a laugh , people calling Miohcec,"Checkers".I prefer "Autumn leaves ,as he is always falling to the ground, to quote the great Lou Richards. Either side of half time, he missed 2 absolute sodas from inside 30, directly in front to give us the lead. What ensued from his second miss, was a Giants mini blitz ,which saw us slip to 5 goals down, led by Toby Green ,who ,I might add, did NOT look like missing a set shot, from anywhere. Take note, that he doesn't continually spin the ball in his hands when he runs in to kick. While I'm at it,I have said for years what an absolute spud Josh Thomas is.How we kept him and got rid of AT is beyond my scope of knowledge and Callum Brown is close to our worst player. tries hard but has no ability. And did anyone count Sidebottoms turnovers last night? Have to be 15 at least 2 ,of which, cost us goals at vital times. The second of those 2 costing another 3 goals from a second mini blitz when we were challenging.
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Did anyone see Thunderbird’s presser last night?
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade