Post Match. Pies lose to Dogs. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

He had the Rupert Wills "Try to hide him on the bench so the opposition doesn't run off him" role.

How do you "keep playing" a mid who is 23, has been on the list since 2015, in and out of the team for 4 seasons and manages 1 kick in an entire game of football? On what basis does he "keep playing"?

Three seasons ago, he was able to have a 27 disposal game, kick a goal, lay 5 tackles and take the ball inside 50 nine times. Surely, after failing so dismally last night, he goes out again, gets told to improve his work rate and effort and watches an actual footballer (Sidebottom) take his place. Collingwood is gifting games to a lot of players, at the moment, who are not up to being in the seniors on present performance.

I think Sier has enough talent to play AFL but, on last night's appalling showing, he's got to lift his work rate dramatically.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I don't think Sier's poor effort last night can be left there. This is a player who played in a Grand Final at age 20 and, while he certainly didn't star, had 21 disposals, including 14 contested, with 7 clearances in that close loss. How does he go this far backwards in 3 and a half years?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Sier doesn’t have the mental mongrel to want it. He’s half there, half thinking of basketball, XBox, personal life. That’s what he needs to sort out but I can’t see it happening. To be fair, a few other players were half at the game last night and half at home.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Sometime rewatching games things don’t seem as bad as the original version
But in this case it was worse
There are hardly any positives other than our defence
If we lose Moore Howe crisp Maynard we will be on the end of some floggings

For his 39 hit outs Grundy was other wise useless again last night
Not only did English and Martin have more disposals and both kicked a goal they out worked Grundy all over the ground a event that never used to happen. Grundy was known for his hard work around the ground now his a shell of his former self
Our midfield was completely dominated. Out run out skilled out played consistently
Watch it again if it wasn’t for some ordinary bulldog over using of the ball this was a 7/10 goal loss
We had a team total of 319 touches nearly 150 less than them yet they had more tackles which means 2 things we allow them to run free without much pressure and our tackling was non existent
There is no silver lining on this
There is no upside for next week
I watched the Carlton Richmond game it was a far better spectacle and much more skilful

There is no way that this is a United team
There is bigger issues at play than the poor performance we saw
I’m sad to say this team is devoid of the necessary heart and soul to find a answer
I hope I’m wrong but I see a massive upheaval in the club which will result in massive changes at all levels more than we’ve seen already

On a side note I think the players showed there exact opinion on Treloar leaving last night
I’ve never witnessed so many players make a beeline for a former team mate and embrace him like happened last night
Pretty brutal analysis, and in retospect, after reflecting on the game, alot of this seems on the money.
I will wait to see what happens next week before deciding, but it certainly seems that the players have been demoralised and dispirited by the wretched treatment meted out to Adz. Our midfield was blasted off the park. Grundy seemed to be applying little or no effort for much of the game, as if he knew there was no point in getting the ball to our mids at clearances anyway. I was devastated to watch English body him aside so easily in one marking contest. Our skills in hitting targets wwere clearly inferior to those of the Dogs. I agree with the analysis of our tackling stats. At times i thought we held them up with pressure, but those stats are damning and explain why we were so horribly dominated in disposal counts and possession.it was really a very onesided game.
I want if the team's spirit and cohesion has been shattered,:we will know very soon, and i agree that this will provoke upheaval.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

How. Poor coaching that’s how

He (Sier) and the team in 2018 had a good mix of coaching who coached the team as a team of coach,s

But gradually autonomy worked its way back with its old friend nepotism

If persay Bucks was to get the chop ( or honourably walk) would our interim coach be Sando / Harvey or Harvey / Sando

Gezzzzz hope not
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pies4shaw wrote:He had the Rupert Wills "Try to hide him on the bench so the opposition doesn't run off him" role.

How do you "keep playing" a mid who is 23, has been on the list since 2015, in and out of the team for 4 seasons and manages 1 kick in an entire game of football? On what basis does he "keep playing"?

Three seasons ago, he was able to have a 27 disposal game, kick a goal, lay 5 tackles and take the ball inside 50 nine times. Surely, after failing so dismally last night, he goes out again, gets told to improve his work rate and effort and watches an actual footballer (Sidebottom) take his place. Collingwood is gifting games to a lot of players, at the moment, who are not up to being in the seniors on present performance.

I think Sier has enough talent to play AFL but, on last night's appalling showing, he's got to lift his work rate dramatically.
Couldn’t agree more. You only have to look at his junior history to see that footy simply isnt a focus in his life. He didn’t come up through the usual TAC pathway because that was to much like hard work. He played local juniors and school footy and was very content being the big fish in the small pond.
I don’t necessarily blame him for that attitude because we’re all motivated by different things but the club has erred by trying to get blood out of a stone for way to long.
Compare him to Bailey Smith. He was always a real lad at the Dragons but he took his opportunity at AFL level and I had heard he put himself through a torturous off season and pre season program just to get himself right for 2021. Exhibit A was on display last night.
It doesn’t matter who you are. If you aren’t prepared to do the hard work at the elite level, then you will get left behind.
neil
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

Its ONE game you dont sack the coach you dont play the kids you dont drop half the side

Yes it was bad but the next few weeks will give an indication as to where we are
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

SteveH67 wrote:Would Buckley have lost the players after the Treloar saga.

I didn't see a team who didn't want to play with him, the post game footage, it was smiles and hugs all round.
This

Buckley threw the players under a bus, last night the players returned the favour

Who wasn’t a little teary when the crowd roared for Treloar near the end? And I bet they don’t play that on the damn news or footy shows
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:FWIW, here's my 2 bobs worth.

It's only round one and many teams have rebounded after a bad start, but....

I've probably been one of Buck's strongest supporters on Nicks, however, unless we show a dramatic improvement in form, this will most certainly be his last season as coach. Regardless of win/loss ratios, over the past decade we have failed to develop an identifiable brand of football, apart from being a "grunt team". "Grunt" simply means hard at it in my book. Every good team should display plenty of grunt. Watching the Bulldogs, they play on instinct, throwing the ball around to outside running players, and it's an exciting brand. Similarly with the Tigers.

Whether our dourness is due to the coach or our recruiters, I don't know, but as others have noted, even our young talent has a sameness about them. The fact that our ageing captain is still by far and away our best player, is a damning indictment on our list. Watching at the G last night I reckon Quaynor was our only genuinely fast player. Maybe we shout try him in the midfield, which after all is where games are won or lost. Once again we dominated the hitouts, but the Bulldogs won the clearances. Why we have persevered with Harvey as our midfield coach is beyond me.

I was excited when we recruited him, but Hoskin-Elliott has been a great disappointment. He should be dropped.

It's clear to me (I know it's only round one) we will not challenge for the flag this year, so let's play a bunch of kids and fast track their development.

One thing I would implore all fans to do, is to stick with the team and Bucks this year, supporting them all the way. I was saddened to hear some so-called "fans" shouting abuse at our players and coach at the game last night. They are all doing their best, even if their best is not good enough.
I agree with the WHE thing, both him and JT should be dropped, JT permanently. Why didn’t Cameron play? Oliver did nothing,

I’ve stuck with bucks for too long, and it’s not even failure that really killed it, it’s the Treloar thing, I simply thought Bucks was a better human being than that, and I’m sadly disappointed. He’s done. A fresh outlook is what we and the players need. They looked like headless chooks at the end of the season, no desire to get in there for a second go, ball watchers, fumbles, points instead of goals. We have royally $@&^# up, we do not have 1 genuine count on forward.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Big T wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
swoop42 wrote:If he can't break into our strongest line in defence then surely it's worth trying Murphy as a forward in place of either young Ruscoe or Henry who need more time to develop at the lower level.

Murphy played at both ends at U18 level, at this stage we have little to lose and it's about time we see if he has anything to offer at AFL level a couple of years down the track from his debut season.
Agree that we have to try new possibilities. Ruscoe and Henry looked overwhelmed tonight, but lack of midfield drive and ability to gain clearances was hugely significant in limiting their opportunities.
Maybe getting rid of treloar to ease salary cap pressure will enable us to ... get a replacement for treloar???
Reckon we should cut our losses and play the kids this year. We r cooked.

So after round one and a 16 point loss against a decent team, you want to go to the senior players who have just completed their fifth or more tough pre season and tell them we’re cutting our losses now and playing the kids.
If you want to derail a season as best you can, then that’s exactly what you do.
There are two non negotiables in footy coaching. First, you continue to play your PERCEIVED and available best 22 / 23 until it’s mathematically impossible to make finals. Secondly, you don’t gift kids games of senior footy. Coaches aren’t there to appease fans by playing kids who aren’t either physically or emotionally ready. They are there to get the best out of the best 22 players they have available to them.
When the young blokes are ready, they will get their chance. For mine, I’m surprised they debuted Henry. He hadn’t played a game for match points in the last 18 months. That’s a huge chunk of organic development the kid ( and others ) had missed out on.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Despite Ollie Henry looking a bit out of his depth, we should stick with him to hasten his development, as he clearly is very talented and will have a great future.

On the bright side, I thought last night was one of Cox's best overall 4 quarter games. He took several good contested marks and if he can continue to kick 2 or 3 goals each week, that will be a fabulous return.

Moore, Howe, Maynard and Quaynor played great games. By year's end, however, we should be looking to replace Madgen and Roughead with younger players. As previously stated, I'd love to see Quaynor moved into the midfield, perhaps opening up a spot for Banco in defence.

Our biggest problem now is that being Bucks last year under contract, he is under severe pressure to play finals and even win one or two of them. In truth, we should use this as a development year, sacrificing our ladder position to blood 4 or 5 new players.

But let's remember it's only round one and we have bounced back from poor starts before. Somehow, however, the crazy loss of our 2 fastest players in Treloar and Stephenson, has seemingly left us fereft of any genuine leg speed. Where we can find that, I don't know.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

double post!
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

It always drives me completely bonkers when I hear people say “lost the team” “team aren’t playing for the coach” etc.. I don’t give a rats behind who the coach is, whether he is liked or disliked, you wear that Collingwood jumper you’re playing for Collingwood ffs. Stop giving these players excuses for poor performers. If it is in fact they’re not playing to their potential because of the coach, those players should be sacked immediately. Selfish to play for yourself, and not the club. The club is, and always will be, should he anyway, bigger than any internal bullocks if there is any.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

We need an injection of energy.

Play the kids.