Post Match. Pies lose to Dogs. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

We had the “fumble footy” style prior to 2018 then things improved dramatically with new coaching personnel on the back of club being surveyed

Now this happened with basic same players

2018 thru 2019 the way we played remaining better

Exit some staff and we are back to fumble footy

I can’t ever remember Pendles getting caught holding ball often nor some poor decisions and that horrible drop mark

If the best of the best is making strange errors what can we expect from the rest
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

"We had 104 tackle attempts for 53 tackles so we tackled at around 50 percent

Well, that just confirms my observation from last night. I know it's only rd 1 but if you can't get that right in the 1st game, that is a massive concern. Something's rotten
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Culprit
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Culprit »

Morning everyone, the great thing is footy is back at the G where it belongs. It's one game and I get the perception is the Treloar departure has divided the club. The Coach in the box looked like he was lost and had no answers. In saying that it's all about shots from the Camera which don't look good. Each loss is a nail in the Coach's coffin. On general game play we just turned up and lost by approx. 3 goals and that's my concern, the players and coaches need to have a heart to heart and if Buckley has lost the players he needs to get them back on board or quit. If you look at the draw, we may not win a game by ANZAC. A weeks a long time in football and a win against the Blues next week all changes the angst.

Anyway footy is back and I am heading to Local footy to watch a practice match and it's great to see people smiling and enjoying live football.
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Would Buckley have lost the players after the Treloar saga.

I didn't see a team who didn't want to play with him, the post game footage, it was smiles and hugs all round.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

The Buckley era is a lost decade. A massive price to pay for our outdated obsession with one person. 10 minutes into the game Buckley worked out that we couldn’t win, so it was time to defend and hope the margin wasn’t too great. Congrats again Bucks. Another ‘honourable loss’ never at any point were they a winning chance. The margin is meaningless. The coaching is ultra defensive, and as a result, the brand of football is absolutely terrible to watch. At their prior clubs Howe & Roughead played multiple roles, now they are marked as stay at home defenders, used to help keep losing margins down. Collingwood’s brand of football is irrelevant in 2021. We would need to risk a blowout loss to win well and the coach would never allow that unless all mathematical hope is lost. Nothing will change at this club until Buckley is removed. It needs to happen now. Terrible to watch.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:To script, predicted final margin pre game.Sier, Thomas, WHE, Ruscoe, Brown X 2, Noble, Madgen wouldn't get games with any other side, but Bucks will play them week in week out. Even our good players are not good enough. Moore is the only decent one among them
Noble and Madgen were ok in my book
Did you see Noble getting smothered about 4-5 times when kicking in traffic? They were Collingwood ok, other teams wouldn't play sub standard players with such glaring skill deficiencies week in week out. The biggest indictment is that this applies to 80% of the selected side last night.
Those two players formed part of a defensive back six that only conceded seven goals in three and half quarters. They defended against SIXTY ( average of 15 per quarter ) inside 50s and both of them got around 20 touches each.
When your B graders are playing that kind of footy, they aren’t the problem.
I suggest you aim your criticism a little further up the ground.
It’s not easy playing perfect footy all night when you’re constantly being hit by a tidal wave and your team mates up the ground keep coughing it up at every opportunity.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:The Buckley era is a lost decade. A massive price to pay for our outdated obsession with one person. 10 minutes into the game Buckley worked out that we couldn’t win, so it was time to defend and hope the margin wasn’t too great. Congrats again Bucks. Another ‘honourable loss’ never at any point were they a winning chance. The margin is meaningless. The coaching is ultra defensive, and as a result, the brand of football is absolutely terrible to watch. At their prior clubs Howe & Roughead played multiple roles, now they are marked as stay at home defenders, used to help keep losing margins down. Collingwood’s brand of football is irrelevant in 2021. We would need to risk a blowout loss to win well and the coach would never allow that unless all mathematical hope is lost. Nothing will change at this club until Buckley is removed. It needs to happen now. Terrible to watch.
Refused to mix it up.
Can't win on defence alone.
Can't win with players like WHE.
Can't win with a Ruckman who can not connect with his midfield.
A ruckman who can never play any other position.
De Goey must play mainly midfield.
Can't win playing players like Henry and Trey who are miles off being proper footballers.
Can't win kicking single digit amounts of goals most games.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

Magpietothemax wrote:
swoop42 wrote:If he can't break into our strongest line in defence then surely it's worth trying Murphy as a forward in place of either young Ruscoe or Henry who need more time to develop at the lower level.

Murphy played at both ends at U18 level, at this stage we have little to lose and it's about time we see if he has anything to offer at AFL level a couple of years down the track from his debut season.
Agree that we have to try new possibilities. Ruscoe and Henry looked overwhelmed tonight, but lack of midfield drive and ability to gain clearances was hugely significant in limiting their opportunities.
Maybe getting rid of treloar to ease salary cap pressure will enable us to ... get a replacement for treloar???
Reckon we should cut our losses and play the kids this year. We r cooked.
Buon Giorno
Big T

Post by Big T »

Why not throw howe forward ffs
Buon Giorno
Big T

Post by Big T »

mackasmatt wrote:Cox was good. Tyler Brown took a small step forward. Everyone else pretty average. Copeland winner very disappointing.

It’s the list, it’s not Bucks. We haven’t been able to land the key forward we need to scare teams for years.

Our age profile was very similar, as well as games played.

Maybe tonight was about Treloar, Eddie etc.. see who turns up next week.
Good call. Tyler looked the goods.
Buon Giorno
Big T

Post by Big T »

Pies4shaw wrote:
magpieazza wrote:How did Sier go tonight?
He should be giving 200% and performing like a dog shot in the ar$e
1 kick and 8 handballs in 60% game-time (the lowest percentage of any of the starting 22). Pretty awful, really.
We have to keep playing him. No use bringing in players who are knowns. Sier needs games.
Buon Giorno
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Big T wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
magpieazza wrote:How did Sier go tonight?
He should be giving 200% and performing like a dog shot in the ar$e
1 kick and 8 handballs in 60% game-time (the lowest percentage of any of the starting 22). Pretty awful, really.
We have to keep playing him. No use bringing in players who are knowns. Sier needs games.
True
Keep playing him.
What role did he have last night???
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

FWIW, here's my 2 bobs worth.

It's only round one and many teams have rebounded after a bad start, but....

I've probably been one of Buck's strongest supporters on Nicks, however, unless we show a dramatic improvement in form, this will most certainly be his last season as coach. Regardless of win/loss ratios, over the past decade we have failed to develop an identifiable brand of football, apart from being a "grunt team". "Grunt" simply means hard at it in my book. Every good team should display plenty of grunt. Watching the Bulldogs, they play on instinct, throwing the ball around to outside running players, and it's an exciting brand. Similarly with the Tigers.

Whether our dourness is due to the coach or our recruiters, I don't know, but as others have noted, even our young talent has a sameness about them. The fact that our ageing captain is still by far and away our best player, is a damning indictment on our list. Watching at the G last night I reckon Quaynor was our only genuinely fast player. Maybe we shout try him in the midfield, which after all is where games are won or lost. Once again we dominated the hitouts, but the Bulldogs won the clearances. Why we have persevered with Harvey as our midfield coach is beyond me.

I was excited when we recruited him, but Hoskin-Elliott has been a great disappointment. He should be dropped.

It's clear to me (I know it's only round one) we will not challenge for the flag this year, so let's play a bunch of kids and fast track their development.

One thing I would implore all fans to do, is to stick with the team and Bucks this year, supporting them all the way. I was saddened to hear some so-called "fans" shouting abuse at our players and coach at the game last night. They are all doing their best, even if their best is not good enough.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.