Post Match. Pies lose to Dogs. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Raw Hammer wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Yeh, we will go in as rank underdogs, rest assured, if a match against the old enemy doesnt get us firing, after tonights poor game, nothing will. :x
This team has never been up and about for a Coll vs Carl contest under Buckley. Remember, it’s not his job to motivate his players. He truly is an absolute clown.

Rubbish, we have beaten the Bluescum numerous times under Bucks tenure, like last season even, i recall we smashed em by ten goals in Malthouses record coaching milestone game, thats crap. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Piesnchess wrote:Rubbish, we have beaten the Bluescum numerous times under Bucks tenure, like last season even, i recall we smashed em by ten goals in Malthouses record coaching milestone game, thats crap. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Our record against them since Buckley became coach is 11-4 in our favour.

Carlton's wins were 2 wins in 2012, and a win in '16 and '17.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Our forward line has to be close to the worst in the competition when it comes to defensive pressure, laying tackles and causing repeated stoppages inside our f50.

It killed us last year and on the evidence of tonight will do so again.

Thomas one of the biggest offenders again with zero credited tackles and a number of selfish moments.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jezza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Rubbish, we have beaten the Bluescum numerous times under Bucks tenure, like last season even, i recall we smashed em by ten goals in Malthouses record coaching milestone game, thats crap. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Our record against them since Buckley became coach is 11-4 in our favour.

Carlton's wins were 2 wins in 2012, and a win in '16 and '17.

Thankyou, facts are facts. :!: :!:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Raw Hammer wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Yeh, we will go in as rank underdogs, rest assured, if a match against the old enemy doesnt get us firing, after tonights poor game, nothing will. :x
This team has never been up and about for a Coll vs Carl contest under Buckley. Remember, it’s not his job to motivate his players. He truly is an absolute clown.
...and maybe now, even if he tried, he is incapable of doing so, due to his treachery against adz and JS during the off season. We will soon know. If we rebound and play well next week, we will know that our team is still dialled in...despite the negative impact of the off season catastrophe. But if we lie down and surrender, we will know for sure that this coaching regime must be removed forthwith (and not wait until the end of the season).
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If he can't break into our strongest line in defence then surely it's worth trying Murphy as a forward in place of either young Ruscoe or Henry who need more time to develop at the lower level.

Murphy played at both ends at U18 level, at this stage we have little to lose and it's about time we see if he has anything to offer at AFL level a couple of years down the track from his debut season.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

swoop42 wrote:If he can't break into our strongest line in defence then surely it's worth trying Murphy as a forward in place of either young Ruscoe or Henry who need more time to develop at the lower level.

Murphy played at both ends at U18 level, at this stage we have little to lose and it's about time we see if he has anything to offer at AFL level a couple of years down the track from his debut season.
Agree that we have to try new possibilities. Ruscoe and Henry looked overwhelmed tonight, but lack of midfield drive and ability to gain clearances was hugely significant in limiting their opportunities.
Maybe getting rid of treloar to ease salary cap pressure will enable us to ... get a replacement for treloar???
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Piesnchess wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:Our defence, and our pressure, kept us in the game.
Pendles is such a champion..made costly errors tonight, but precisely because they were so costly, indicates that as usual he is in the critical position to play the critical role. just needs to blow away the cobwebs.
cox played well, great signs
Grundy played a terrible game. Just let english dominate him. WTF. I have never before seen Grundy so subservient to the opposition. He had more of an impact in the last quarter, but when it was too late.
Trey Ruscoe and Ollie Henry...were starved of opportunity by our lack of midfield propulsion. However, when we got the ball forward, they were unable to exert any impact and seemed overwhelmed by the pressure levels.
Defence magnificent: Moore and Howe together prevented the entire Bulldog F50 from scoring. Roughead valiant as well, and Maynard, Crispie were likewise very good.
Noble seems too slight to be a mid..physically pushed off the ball too often.
JT: Do not denigrate this guy. Tried constantly and created opportunities, while attempting to maximise scoring opportunities. I thought he was good.
JDG: well yes, we needed him in the midfield, but we need him in F50 as well. Just not enough quality mids to compete at top level, I am afraid. Sier showed a few signs, but did not exert enough influence. However, we are early days, and I am thinking he has plenty of scope to improve. There was moment when he looked like Dusty.
Overall: cannot yet decide how we stand. Definitely not top 4, but if our skill errors are just due to lack of practice, we can improve significantly.
Grundy needs to lift, or we will spiral downwards.

Yeh, i pretty well agree with all that, if De Goey had kicked those 2 he usually eats for breakfast, and Thomas held that mark an goaled, would have been lot closer, Dogs had all the luck , we had zilch. Moore was magnificent, our backs were under immense pressure but hung tough, i actually thought Noble was good, never gave up, Quarner, Crisp, hung in there. Cox tried hard, but our forwards werent cohesive, thats for sure. Early days yet, next few weeks will tell the tale.
im sick of trying to rely on luck, we are not lucky, when have we ever been lucky??
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: I thought the boys were pretty desperate tonight PP, but significantly inferior to wB in disposal quality and the appalling lack of ability to seize possession from clearances.
But yes, with all the trauma of the adam treloar saga, the fact that the boys congratulated Adz gives the lie to Buckley's claim that Adz had lost the support of the senior players. Unfortunately, could indeed augur a breakdown in cohesion and loyalty to Bucks, which we all knew was a definite possibility. For me, I am not sure yet, whether this is the case. But we will know sooner rather than later.
MTTM, I grant you I may have been watching our boys through clouded vision tonight, because something very strange happened. I didn't really care if we lost!! :cry: This has never ever happened to me before in 53 years of supporting the Pies. :shock:

I have this overwhelming wish for a complete clean out - all coaching staff, all football positions, except for Graham Wright! It has all gone to sh&t in my eyes. Oh, for some fresh, clean, sparkling air!! I'm tired of Hines and his drab recruiting, Ned Guy has already shown he's incompetent. Jon Ralph said on FF tonight that Collingwood will pay 1.5million out to the Bulldogs for the next five years for Treloar. In the mean time, a ruckman is signed for a million bucks a year for seven years!!! Gross list mismanagement. :evil:

Bucks is already looking totally exhausted. For his own sanity, I wish he would just resign, but of course, he's not a quitter. Sigh. Harvey and Sanderson must be moved on. Been there too long for little return. There's no indication that anyone on the board has any fire in their belly for the club.

I feel for the players who will have to try and "uphold the Magpie name" during the coming season. My gratitude and allegiance is to them only.
sadly, i agree, im just not looking forward to a week of all the bulldog arseholes around me
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

The defence is the only reason why we didn't lose by 10 goals tonight. Moore was outstanding and a shining light for the team.

A lot of criticism towards Grundy, but the lack of connection between him and the midfielders is startling. It's a problem that was raised years ago and still hasn't been addressed.

Couldn't believe how often we were second to the ball. Dogs always had players ready when the ball hit the ground and seemed to win a lot more contested possessions than we did. Just saw the stats now, and the Dogs had 150 more disposals, which just about sums it up.

Cox and Mihocek looked okay up forward, but I just wonder where our other avenues to goal will come from. Ruscoe doesn't look ready for senior AFL football and Elliott's nearly at the end of his career now.

Henry looked overwhelmed, but at least the kid got a taste of senior football and will learn from the experience.

Being at the ground, a lot of supporters seemed to concede that it would be a "long year". No anger or maliciousness in their tone, they're just accepting of where we sit in the competition. I sense a lot of people have given up on Buckley now and will just ride it out with him for the rest of the year.

On a more positive note, it was great to be back at the football after 18 months. Didn't realise how much I've missed it.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive

Post by think positive »

im not content to ride the year out, i want him to walk today!

the dogs tried their hearts out, we didnt seem to have much ticker, and no damn skills, save Moore and Cox. and we only lost by 16!!

it looked much worse!
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

think positive wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:Our defence, and our pressure, kept us in the game.
Pendles is such a champion..made costly errors tonight, but precisely because they were so costly, indicates that as usual he is in the critical position to play the critical role. just needs to blow away the cobwebs.
cox played well, great signs
Grundy played a terrible game. Just let english dominate him. WTF. I have never before seen Grundy so subservient to the opposition. He had more of an impact in the last quarter, but when it was too late.
Trey Ruscoe and Ollie Henry...were starved of opportunity by our lack of midfield propulsion. However, when we got the ball forward, they were unable to exert any impact and seemed overwhelmed by the pressure levels.
Defence magnificent: Moore and Howe together prevented the entire Bulldog F50 from scoring. Roughead valiant as well, and Maynard, Crispie were likewise very good.
Noble seems too slight to be a mid..physically pushed off the ball too often.
JT: Do not denigrate this guy. Tried constantly and created opportunities, while attempting to maximise scoring opportunities. I thought he was good.
JDG: well yes, we needed him in the midfield, but we need him in F50 as well. Just not enough quality mids to compete at top level, I am afraid. Sier showed a few signs, but did not exert enough influence. However, we are early days, and I am thinking he has plenty of scope to improve. There was moment when he looked like Dusty.
Overall: cannot yet decide how we stand. Definitely not top 4, but if our skill errors are just due to lack of practice, we can improve significantly.
Grundy needs to lift, or we will spiral downwards.

Yeh, i pretty well agree with all that, if De Goey had kicked those 2 he usually eats for breakfast, and Thomas held that mark an goaled, would have been lot closer, Dogs had all the luck , we had zilch. Moore was magnificent, our backs were under immense pressure but hung tough, i actually thought Noble was good, never gave up, Quarner, Crisp, hung in there. Cox tried hard, but our forwards werent cohesive, thats for sure. Early days yet, next few weeks will tell the tale.
im sick of trying to rely on luck, we are not lucky, when have we ever been lucky??
If if if if if - pathetic. Collingwood did not beat the Bulldogs because they were NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Why is that to difficult to say.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Piesnchess wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Rubbish, we have beaten the Bluescum numerous times under Bucks tenure, like last season even, i recall we smashed em by ten goals in Malthouses record coaching milestone game, thats crap. :o :o :o :o :o :o
I’m not talking strictly about wins and losses, I’m talking about being up and about. Strong and motivated out of the blocks. Genuine passion vs a hated enemy. Many seem to be dour struggles or come from behind wins vs a team that has been in the bottom 6 throughout the past decade.

Take the last four years, when we’ve been ‘good’ and Carlton bog average:

2017, Collingwood favourites in our 125th anniversary celebration day...Carlton romp home an easy win in the wet with Dale Thomas sticking it up our clackers.
2018, Blues kick first three goals before we save Buckley’s career after starting the year with two losses (and nearly go on to win the flag).
2019, Blues lead all day and it takes 5 crazy goals in 5 mins to overrun them at the end (of Cripps snaps truly half way through the final quarter instead of missing by a bee’s dick the Blues lead by 3 goals and don’t lose from there)
2020, Blues lead by 1-2 goals from the start for most of the afternoon at the Gabba before we finally overrun them with some Daicos and Stephenson magic.
Est. 2002
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:The defence is the only reason why we didn't lose by 10 goals tonight. Moore was outstanding and a shining light for the team.

A lot of criticism towards Grundy, but the lack of connection between him and the midfielders is startling. It's a problem that was raised years ago and still hasn't been addressed.

Couldn't believe how often we were second to the ball. Dogs always had players ready when the ball hit the ground and seemed to win a lot more contested possessions than we did. Just saw the stats now, and the Dogs had 150 more disposals, which just about sums it up.

Cox and Mihocek looked okay up forward, but I just wonder where our other avenues to goal will come from. Ruscoe doesn't look ready for senior AFL football and Elliott's nearly at the end of his career now.

Henry looked overwhelmed, but at least the kid got a taste of senior football and will learn from the experience.

Being at the ground, a lot of supporters seemed to concede that it would be a "long year". No anger or maliciousness in their tone, they're just accepting of where we sit in the competition. I sense a lot of people have given up on Buckley now and will just ride it out with him for the rest of the year.

On a more positive note, it was great to be back at the football after 18 months. Didn't realise how much I've missed it.
Yeah, Dogs dominated possession. As others have pointed out, the inability of Trey Ruscoe and Ollie Henry to have any impact left us 2 players down. Not their fault...their inability to have any influence flowed from our lack of fast, dynamic midfielders, as well as their own lack of experience. Adz would have been a handy addition to our team tonight. :(
Dogs dominated possession due to:
a) our disgusting disposal skills which enabled them to keep turning us over
b) our horrendous lack of ability to win clearances, and therefore to always be on the back foot.
Jury is out on whether the players have lost their cohesiveness and team solidarity due to the end of season horror show that resulted in ejecting Adz and JS.
If this is the case, we might be seeing a midseason termination of Bux.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive

Post by think positive »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
think positive wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

If if if if if - pathetic. Collingwood did not beat the Bulldogs because they were NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Why is that to difficult to say.
i actually dont agree, while i dont want to rely on luck, we are good enough, the score line proves it, they wanted it more, they dove on every ball every player, we seem to have a bit of the 'this is my k=job, thats yours and never shall they meet" attitude, get up of your arses and damn try. 16 points, DeGoey missed 2 sitters, that shameful shot to the dogs when the pass clearly only went about 7 metres, there is the game. we are good enough, we were sloppy, lazy, and unconvincing, we are way better than that, even pendles dropped a sitter, except JT, he aint better than that, and why did oliver play? why was darcy cameron best on ground in the reserves? he deserved to play?