What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Going to watch Borat soon on Amazon Prime
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

David wrote:Anyone looking forward to going back to the cinema soon? I think it might be one of the things I'm missing the most right now.
I'm missing the cinema and theatre. We had seasons tiks for the Malthouse this year.

Have you seen the South Korean film "Burning" on Netflix? I really liked it and saw it at the Cinema.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

I did! Caught it at MIFF the year before last, and quite liked it. If you're interested, I discussed the film on the Senses of Cinema podcast last year (from 8:53):

https://sensesofcinema.podbean.com/e/world-poll-2018/

Would be great to get back to the theatre, too. Been a long time since I saw a play (I think the last one was Solaris at the Malthouse, well over a year ago now!).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

David wrote:I did! Caught it at MIFF the year before last, and quite liked it. If you're interested, I discussed the film on the Senses of Cinema podcast last year (from 8:53):

https://sensesofcinema.podbean.com/e/world-poll-2018/

Would be great to get back to the theatre, too. Been a long time since I saw a play (I think the last one was Solaris at the Malthouse, well over a year ago now!).
I look fwd to listening to it David.
David

Post by David »

Great! :) hope you like it. Eloise (pres of Melbourne Cinémathèque) and Mark (Swinburne film lecturer) are much more capable hosts, tbh, but I thought it was a fun episode, and we got to discuss some thought-provoking films (including Roma and First Reformed).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

David wrote:Great! :) hope you like it. Eloise (pres of Melbourne Cinémathèque) and Mark (Swinburne film lecturer) are much more capable hosts, tbh, but I thought it was a fun episode, and we got to discuss some thought-provoking films (including Roma and First Reformed).
Had a listen to the first half: that was great, enjoyed the discussion. Burning had all of the above effects on me. It made me think afterwards not because it was profound Cinema but it was disquieting. Brilliant in aspects and at times , Ho hum at others but it disturbed me to reflect on it after watching it.

When you noted “Roma” above I thought of Fellini’s Roma! which I liked all those years ago.
David

Post by David »

watt price tully

Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Last few:

Enola Holmes (2020) - This was completely different to what I was expecting. I guess I was expecting a more childish adventure story or something? But it was much smarter than that. Its around 2 hours long and although more suited to a younger or family audience, was still very good.

Doctor Sleep (2019) - A sequel to the 1977s "The Shining" and based upon the Stephen King novel from 2013. I really liked it and it is very different from the first film, which was sort of unexpected.

In The Tall Grass (2019) - Another based on a Stephen King novel. It was ok, but I didnt love it. Thought it could have been a lot better. Only around 90 mins long, but I felt like it dragged out a bit. My Mrs liked it tho.

Goodfellas (1990) - Absolute classic. Just felt like watching it.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

geeezus is there any good action flicks with muscles and gorgeous masculine faces???? ugh, i need escapism and something to drool over, lets face it, the footy season was a complete flop!! i cant wait for the first training, hopefully Howe gets his shirt off! my new big bitch lens will have arrived by then!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

You'll be able to count the hair follicles on his areola.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Really enjoyed Enola Holmes.

Recently watched a couple of movies starring Jennifer Aniston, Murder Mystery (with Adam Sandler) and Dumplin. Both enjoyable without being too taxing on the brain.

Top End Wedding was another enjoyable flick.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

You'll be able to count the hair follicles on his areola.
-now i just need an xray vision one!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote:Last few:

Doctor Sleep (2019) - A sequel to the 1977s "The Shining" and based upon the Stephen King novel from 2013. I really liked it and it is very different from the first film, which was sort of unexpected.
Did you watch the 180 minute directors cut, or the 150 minute edit?

Presti35 wrote:Goodfellas (1990) - Absolute classic. Just felt like watching it.
This kills me every time:

Seasame Street by Martin Scorsese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUnc7H_82Q
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

piedys wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Last few:

Did you watch the 180 minute directors cut, or the 150 minute edit?
Umm... whichever is on netflix... Im guessing the edit. Is the directors cut packing a few more surprises?

piedys wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Goodfellas (1990) - Absolute classic. Just felt like watching it.
This kills me every time:

Seasame Street by Martin Scorsese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUnc7H_82Q
Thats unreal... haha. As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Grover.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!