Post Match. Pies dump Toast. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

[quote="Nearly"]My son said to me at 3/4 time, ‘happy to lose the last quarter by 9 points’
Magpies love pies(Lol)
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

What an incredible backs-to-the-wall victory. We were written off by everyone, forced into a strict quarantine and labelled 'dirty' all week by the wa media. Now stick that up your arse meth coast!!!

I have to admit that I didn't give us much hope of winning, simply because I wasn't confident enough in our form or our game style, and I didn't know which Collingwood side was going to show up: jekyll or hyde, the Collingwood that pressures the opposition with clean fast ball movement or the slow panic ridden Pies who are inefficient and resort to hot potato handball. Meth coast seemed to have everything going their way with their government and the afl paving the way for them to prevail at home; star players returning and huge psychological advantage over us. make no mistake this will go down as one of our greatest victories ever. Everyone played their role and stood up when it counted and we attacked, attacked and attacked. It's amazing how easy it can be when it's put into practice. Obviously towards the end we were tiring and that smother by Adams in the centre with 20 odd seconds to go in the final qtr saved the day. Man, that final had everything you could possibly want from a final. I'm very proud and very happy. Let's hope we can back it up on Saturday night and that it didn't knock the stuffing out of us. Go Pies.
Woods

Post by Woods »

Abdul The Bull

Post by Abdul The Bull »

Larry wrote:
Mossi wrote:
shawthing wrote:
P.S. A very special guts and determination award to every Pies fan that was at Optus last night having to put up with the redneck feral crowd. So proud of youse all as Jeff Fenech would say.
Would have loved to have been there!! By the way Jeff Fenech is a Collingwood supporter
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

Up there with all the greats wins. Still smiling today. Checkers left foot goal ont he run will live with me forever was unbelievable
Abdul The Bull

Post by Abdul The Bull »

BBHS wrote:Up there with all the greats wins. Still smiling today. Checkers left foot goal ont he run will live with me forever was unbelievable
Like Heater's smother in the 2010 GF, this is when I 'knew' that the Gods were on our side and the game was ours...
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Pure pleasure Saturday to see absolutely every player pitch in.
The maligned ones.
Cox. It wasn’t three goals to his game -there was more (ask JDG after hand pass)

JT. Blindsided ump and switched on to “throw” to Checkers for goal

There was another that I saw WHE assist for a goal.

Win or not win flag. They damn near deserve it with Saturday total commitment to each other

I am so proud I could burst
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Abdul The Bull wrote:
BBHS wrote:Up there with all the greats wins. Still smiling today. Checkers left foot goal ont he run will live with me forever was unbelievable
Like Heater's smother in the 2010 GF, this is when I 'knew' that the Gods were on our side and the game was ours...
When Treloar blazed away inside 50 instead of drawing a man and hand balling to Cox, Pendlebury or Thomas, or running into goal himself, then failed to make the distance from 45m off a step, and the ball bounced on the line, up and over WHE’s head into McGovern’s hands... that’s when I knew the Footy Gods are seriously mean bastards.
Est. 2002
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

I’m still trying to work out how the hell that went anywhere close to goal, let alone through the goal.

Dropped it awkwardly, drilled his leg at it like a drop kick, on the run no less, and somehow the ball spun perfectly to sail through on the full at the same 1-2m height the whole way. I’m not sure that’s physically possible. Any of it!
Est. 2002
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Abdul The Bull wrote:
Yep, such a strange, unfathomable force those footy gods. Some games they have no influence,or are definitely against us, but I too just "knew" that they were on our side in this game. The brilliant goals of both Checkers and JDG in the last quarter were the greatest testament to that. :wink:

Watching the replay, I finally found the passage of play from young Daics that was purely magical. Third quarter (I think), he was amongst a pack of players in the middle of the ground. He used his feet soccer-style to control the ball on the ground, then with a delicate, deft little kick gave it backwards out of the pack to Crisp. Extraordinary!!!! He then ran forward, got the handball and delivered superbly to Checkers in the goal square. Just brilliant.

What was also great to recognise in the replay was that Stevo was an entirely different player from a week ago. He worked really hard, showed some sublime dashes of speed, tackled hard and performed lots of 1 percenters. One in particular in the last quarter, where he came out of nowhere to punch the ball clear and stop a likely Eagles mark in front of goal. Another selection win for Bucks and co who took the risk to put their faith in him again.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Apologies. DP again!!! . Shouldn't try to post on the phone!!!
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Real reason Gabba was preferred to Optus Stadium......

It has nothing to do with the Quarantine Laws
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
think better
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Looking at the replay the managing of Grundy makes good sense. In the last quarter he was much more active - a couple of really good marks and a bit more in general play.

without Cameron on the ground he might not have been so effective
I think therefore I think - I think
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Both Grundy and Cameron took some very important marks around the ground late in the game. Grundys tackle on Darling was huge!
No doubt, inclusion of Cameron helped this happen and the fact we had the big men fresh and roaming negated the lost clearances- just!!
It also allowed Mason to stay forward.

Great move by the Pies.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

They may or may not exercise this plan as opponents may find a counter but thing to me is there is some thinking outside side the normal

Irrespective of the retention of this plan what IMO it’s created is belief

And that is something no game plan can create

We have taken a big step and must build on it

Team confidence has increased,so has mine
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right