Post Match. Pies dump Toast. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

It was classic Kanga Kennedy
“Do something
Come in and say I smothered or I knocked a ball on “

That happened innumerable times last night and JT one to Checkers for a sausage roll was “ Coach I did something “

Don’t bag any player last night as everyone did something in small or huge amounts. Embrace the gutsy effort
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

A great part of Mihocek's game was the lack of real influence from Mc Govern.

It was sort of like playing a 'run with' role where you stop someone but also try to hurt them in attack when you have the chance
I think therefore I think - I think
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Pies2016 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
mgh3536 wrote:Bloody hell the pictures that josh Thomas has got of Buckley must be so bad!!
Oh, leave off please!!! Tonight is not the right time to dishing any of our players. I just can't relate to such thinking.

JT did alright. He was non-awarded a clear mark in front of goal and dished off the handball, under extreme pressure, to Brody Mihocek who kicked that superb left foot goal in the last quarter.
P P, it needs to be said, I do admire your constant support of the players.
It bemuses needs that people still choose to find fault rather than to celebrate one of the greatest finals victories in the history of the AFL.
Cheers !
Yes, no doubt. There are times during the season when being critical of players, coaches and administrators is warranted and acceptable but never after a finals victory, especially one as meritorious as what we just saw. Every one of our blokes put in and did their bit, even JT who was the one that put his body on the line to get the hard ball to Checkers for that massive goal. How can anyone be critical or negative after that performance? That would be un-Collingwood.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

tbaker wrote:
90 nice wrote:Great to see the pies overcome finally the eagles tell me who thinks we could get back Howe back for the cats game. Like to bring in will kelly too and maybe ruscoe.
And even if we had all those ins, who deserves to be dropped???
I try not to be a “ what, if “ person but when I was seeing those marks taken by the eagles talls on the back of poor spoiling attempts, I found myself thinking how much we’ve missed Howe.
I reckon if Howe had played last night, we win that game “ easily “
Having said that, respect for Madgen who has cemented his position this year. It’s just that he’s no Howe but to be fair, not many are.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

That 5 minute burst from Cox was incredible, better than his prelim effort I reckon.

When they said we were the 1st team to field 5 200cm+ players I thought we were stuffed, turned out to be inspired selections.

So happy...so hungover
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Great win... I assume the pre-game critics have already apologized
Not a chance, although I have no doubt there will be the same few notable absentees this week.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:That 5 minute burst from Cox was incredible, better than his prelim effort I reckon.

When they said we were the 1st team to field 5 200cm+ players I thought we were stuffed, turned out to be inspired selections.

So happy...so hungover
When you are playing lots of talls you need it to be dry.
When Cox was playing early this year ...it was wet every time.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

damn amazing win. One our very best.

The players deserve credit for their guts and determination, but so too does our great coach Nathan Buckley. His selections came in for criticism from many, but all his moves worked a treat.

Cameron played really well, and has booked his spot in the team to play the Cats. His last ruck contest against that monster Nit Nat was a match saving effort.

Resting Grundy for several periods, worked in our favour. Whether Grundy is injured, or simply out of form, the fact is Cameron filled in in the ruck with great aplomb.

Showing faith in Stephenson, paid dividends. He didn't star, but competed well and contributed to our win with a few great efforts.

Bucks management of Cox, after dropping him several weeks ago has been first class. Big Coxy has found confidence and form at the right time of the year.

So well done Pies and well done Bucks.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

masoncox wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:That 5 minute burst from Cox was incredible, better than his prelim effort I reckon.

So happy...so hungover
When you are playing lots of talls you need it to be dry.
When Cox was playing early this year ...it was wet every time.
Makes you wonder what our approach might be at the more humid Gabba
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Second that RudeBoy
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Magpietothemax wrote: and John Noble, I thought he was brilliant tonight off half back, and how he moved forward and added pressure when we inside 50. I think that he is a fantastic young player.
How good was Johnny, when, with 20sec to go, he took the mark on the half back flank, and retreated 30 metres, knowing that the eagle couldn't encroach until the umpire called play on. Smart stuff that took another 5-10 sec off the clock...
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Cam wrote:
masoncox wrote:Well the west australian newspaper perth now are whinging that the Crisp pass in the last minute was a throw.
They even provided a slow mo video.
And you know what?????
They were 100% correct.
SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!
If you look at it carefully, Crisp is tripped by an Eagles play just before that.
Yep just had a look at it.
:lol:
Anyway typical WC.
We could break down a lot of dubious ones throughout the game but whats the point.
We won.

They lost.

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Last edited by Leggie on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring Back Tranquilli
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

RudeBoy wrote:Cameron played really well, and has booked his spot in the team to play the Cats. His last ruck contest against that monster Nit Nat was a match saving effort.
Agree Rudey, but we need to have a horses for courses approach. Geelong don't have a renowned and feared ruck unit as WCE do...
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

A one point win to knock the wet toast out of the finals is the sweetest revenge on WA for the quarantine hub they put us in. A few comments last night from players and coach that it wasn’t ideal, WA stitched us up. Not a word from the AFL about it, no surprise.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy wrote:$$%^%%$ amazing win. One our very best.

The players deserve credit for their guts and determination, but so too does our great coach Nathan Buckley. His selections came in for criticism from many, but all his moves worked a treat.

Cameron played really well, and has booked his spot in the team to play the Cats. His last ruck contest against that monster Nit Nat was a match saving effort.

Resting Grundy for several periods, worked in our favour. Whether Grundy is injured, or simply out of form, the fact is Cameron filled in in the ruck with great aplomb.

Showing faith in Stephenson, paid dividends. He didn't star, but competed well and contributed to our win with a few great efforts.

Bucks management of Cox, after dropping him several weeks ago has been first class. Big Coxy has found confidence and form at the right time of the year.

So well done Pies and well done Bucks.
There are some good points in this post R B.

Bucks ( or coaching panel ) management of some of our more inconsistent performers has been very good.

It looked like Cox has been trained up for the Spring carnival. Stephenson finally bought in playing up the ground after the coach showed faith in him again when he didn’t have to after that Port game.

Cameron was good but it still has a horses for courses feel about it for mine.
Grundy only has to worry about Stanley next week and we may yet decide to go for more run. Whether Grundy is injured or not, he won’t get it any better than having played two games over the previous month.
I think what will ultimately determine whether Cameron plays or not, depends on how much time they really want to leave Cox parked at full forward against Cats. On the last game, you would think all night, so I might have just answered my own question.