#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

Haven’t read through the whole thread so excuse my laziness. I have no issue with his decision to be present for the birth . What concerns me is his lack of want to go through the hoops to return. Even if he missed the west coast game he should be back in whatever hub he needs to be in to rejoin the team the following week. He should assume we win and believe in his teammates to do so. Does this mean sidey believes we are no chance? Feels like it - and feels like he’s simply not interested for the remainder of the year. If I was his team mate I’d feel he had no confidence in me or the other players.

That kind of thinking is for us supporters to bicker over.

But as a player surely if your invested fully you believe in your team and your own abilities to go all the way.

I’ve always loved sidey - but he’s been a bit disappointing this year in my book. Just my opinion. Soft.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ As i say, if we lose a close one to the Weagles, say by three points, and hes watching it at home, as he will, if i were him, id feel mighty guilty, strange, that he has let his team mates and club down. Thats my take.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I thought that Sidey, mum and bubs were prepared to come back and re-join the hub but it was made too difficult with the isolation requirements.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Yep, much like Pendlebury was considering leaving the hub when we were in Perth because he didn't want his wife and kids to be stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks alone. Then they made it easier for the families to meet them in QLD and everyone was happy.

The fact Sidebottom and family were expected to be confined to a hotel room for 2 weeks with no training or anything was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^ Yep that is correct. Qld govt demanded he quarantine with other travelers in a strict hotel lockdown (one room). No ability to train, he’d be a couch potato for two weeks. Not ideal. Meanwhile PA break the law by using friends in high places to get their families back into SA and avoid the usual protocols, and not a word from the AFL.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

eddiesmith wrote: was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway
I don’t know
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

^It's not just about him either. His teammates are doing everything they they can to win this game and he would know that our chances would be improved if he played. His decision not to play shows he doesn't have a team first attitude.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If we do win against WC, who’s the unlucky guy be who has to be dropped for a player who hasn’t even trained in a month?

Seriously, it’d be a miracle if Sidey played in a second final, he’d only be a chance for the prelim. Big ask
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Easton Wood farewells pregnant wife and daughter as finals fight begins

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eas ... 55zv0.html
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Lazza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote: was unrealistic to expect of him for something that may have been for nothing if we lose anyway
I don’t know
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote:
I don’t know
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Post by Lazza »

You are right. I would not be able to stop myself from frothing at the mouth if we end up losing by a few points. He probably wouldn’t give a shit that some fans are angry. And I say that from a position of being a father to two kids.

Another interesting point is purely hypothetical. Would Sidebottom playing after a near two month break be better or worse than the player who replaces him?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times

Post by doriswilgus »

September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote: I don’t know
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times

Post by doriswilgus »

September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Lazza wrote: I don’t know
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

doriswilgus wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
eddiesmith wrote: