Post Match. Pies lose to Port. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Magpietothemax wrote:
sherrife wrote:...
Worst thing for me tonight, apart from the endless fumbles and missed passes, was the failure of the players to get around Stevo after he kicked that goal. It was really good stuff from a player that everyone knows is suffering, and nobody cared. Shows that either he's done something really wrong, or there's a issue with team culture. You don't win flags with that kind of vibe, that's for sure.
I tend to disagree with that. I distinctly remember several players getting around him. Can anyone confirm?
That's my memory too.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

The days are bad when the WB finish above us at the end of the H&A season...

Sigh : (
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote: I tend to disagree with that. I distinctly remember several players getting around him. Can anyone confirm?
Yep, quite a few (say 6 or 7) got around him, while the cameras were on him anyway. He failed to show any positive emotion at all, but RH reckons it's because the goal was touched and Stevo probably thought it could be overturned.
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

simon tonna wrote:Grundy must be the smallest ruck I've ever seen. He needs another string in his bow. Can't do anything around the ground to help out like a midfielder should. Hey is an absolute 7 million dollar embarrassment.
Moore should demand 10million.
The way Grundy continues to tap the ball at his feet!!! To nobody!!! Smash the bloody thing!! He has been a shadow of himself this year. Nowhere near as effective. Doesn't judge the centre bounces very well either and most time doesn't compete or jump at all. We need him back to the way he played before we gave him that multi year deal.
carn the mighty pies!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: I tend to disagree with that. I distinctly remember several players getting around him. Can anyone confirm?
Yep, quite a few (say 6 or 7) got around him, while the cameras were on him anyway. He failed to show any positive emotion at all, but RH reckons it's because the goal was touched and Stevo probably thought it could be overturned.
Yeah, hope that was the reason. We need to really nurture this guy. Sorry if I sound pathetic. He is playing badly because his confidence has been shot. That was so obvious tonight. Select him for the game against WCE and tell him to stay in F50. His role is to crumb the ball, tackle the opposition (he is OK at that) and use his speed to create chaos. Simple and sweet.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

ANNODAM wrote:The days are bad when the WB finish above us at the end of the H&A season...

Sigh : (
And St Kilda too!
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Until we get a ruck-rover capable of mixing it with the elite ruck-rovers of the competition we're not competitive in the midfield contests.
Solution? JDG is the only solution for ruck-rover. Keep one of Sier or Wills for back-up.

Compunding that, Grundy is carrying what I suspect is a groin complaint. He can't jump and his walking and running gait is one of laboured and restricted movement.

Treloar, same as Clayton Oliver, puts teammates under pressure with shite handballs, causes turnovers. He's a liability in the midfield, needs to go onto a wing.
Probably the player outside of Phillips I get most frustrated with.

Adams is a brilliant Rover. Keep Greenwood for another year and in time I can see Quaynor coming into that role.

We missed Sidey tonight, we were desperately needing some class on the link ups.

WHE for the experience he possess has not stood up as a leader in the past 6 weeks, has been disappointing.

Tyler Brown will also become a Centre and heir apparent to Pendles but until that time, play him off a wing. He's 2 years off. He has class but needs another 10kg.

Just beaten by a better team tonight, pure and simple. We didn't have the positional cattle to go with the ladder leaders.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote: Yeah, hope that was the reason. We need to really nurture this guy. Sorry if I sound pathetic. He is playing badly because his confidence has been shot. That was so obvious tonight. Select him for the game against WCE and tell him to stay in F50. His role is to crumb the ball, tackle the opposition (he is OK at that) and use his speed to create chaos. Simple and sweet.
At one stage, Pendles and Stevo were on the bench together and Pendles was obviously trying to reassure him.
Agree MTTM, as you say, set him a task that is simple, uses his speed and elusiveness and comes with immediate high reward - like he had it as a first year player.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, did every team in the 8 win this week except us?

Say it isn't so...

Such is life...
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

LaurieHolden wrote:Until we get a ruck-rover capable of mixing it with the elite ruck-rovers of the competition we're not competitive in the midfield contests.
Solution? JDG is the only solution for ruck-rover. Keep one of Sier or Wills for back-up.

Compunding that, Grundy is carrying what I suspect is a groin complaint. He can't jump and his walking and running gait is one of laboured and restricted movement.

Treloar, same as Clayton Oliver, puts teammates under pressure with shite handballs, causes turnovers. He's a liability in the midfield, needs to go onto a wing.
Probably the player outside of Phillips I get most frustrated with.

Adams is a brilliant Rover. Keep Greenwood for another year and in time I can see Quaynor coming into that role.

We missed Sidey tonight, we were desperately needing some class on the link ups.

WHE for the experience he possess has not stood up as a leader in the past 6 weeks, has been disappointing.

Tyler Brown will also become a Centre and heir apparent to Pendles but until that time, play him off a wing. He's 2 years off. He has class but needs another 10kg.

Just beaten by a better team tonight, pure and simple. We didn't have the positional cattle to go with the ladder leaders.
yeah, good analysis...makes total sense to me. We did miss quality link up disposal tonight, which Sidey could have provided.
Don't know about Treloar. He makes mistakes, but can rip through the centre as well. I think the issue is lack of midfield presence. Tay Adans can't do it on his own. we need another big bodied inside mid to allow Treloar more freedom. If Sier is ready for WC game, he goes in straight away, i think
Agree that WHE is not doing enough. Would even think about replacing him with Ruscoe for the WC game.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

dalyc wrote:
derkd wrote:Full credit to the Power. We threw the kitchen sink at them..but at key moments we fumbled..they didnt.
My thoughts exactly. To which I’ll add their hand passes generally hit the target whereas ours just seemed to be often just a half a metre off.

Agree. Port have been on TOP of the ladder ALL season and they were simply better than a team who has been about mid table all year.

There was nothing wrong with our effort. We are in the position we are in because of games we lost against weaker opposition earlier in the season, not because of our efforts against Port tonight.
Every now and again you get beaten by a team who is better than you but it’s those same morons week in, week in out who don’t seem to think that should ever be a determining reason as to why we get beaten.
Hard as it is to accept, sometimes the opposition is a class above and that’s what happened tonight.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

ANNODAM wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, did every team in the 8 win this week except us?

Say it isn't so...

Such is life...
Well, we were the only one that played the top team.
Est. 2002
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

sherrife wrote:We tried, but we're just not good enough. No connection between the players, no instinctive sense of where each other will be and where to go to next for the ball.

I think it's a mental thing more than anything else, but we don't seem to be able to turn it around. We played better tonight in patches, but just unable to get flow for a sustained period of time. The whole season has been like this really, even when we've won it's been ugly and unconvincing.

Worst thing for me tonight, apart from the endless fumbles and missed passes, was the failure of the players to get around Stevo after he kicked that goal. It was really good stuff from a player that everyone knows is suffering, and nobody cared. Shows that either he's done something really wrong, or there's a issue with team culture. You don't win flags with that kind of vibe, that's for sure.

Port are impressive and a great team to watch, I hope they win the flag when we get knocked out. Love Travis Boak, reminds me a bit of Swan, though less brilliant.
Plenty of players went to Stevo/ what are you talking about!?
Last edited by the fuzz on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote: Maybe because he was labelled the best school boy player since Wayne Carey?????
It didn't translate at AFL level because of the injuries you happened to mention.
No, he was hopelessly slow before those injuries.

In your opinion, although he did have the operation on the feet before he even played a VFL or AFL game.
Scharenberg was touted as a potential no.1 pick that was quick and capable of playing back, forward and mid. He slid down to pick 6 because of his feet injuries at the time of the draft in 2013. From memory he didn’t play at all in 2014, his first season, because of those injuries. He then ruptured an ACL. And then did it again. It’s fair to say we never saw what he was like pre injury.
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Very Disappointing
It’s been a year where we really haven’t got going at all
As good as we have been defensively we just don’t score enough to trouble the rest of the teams in the top 8. Even the teams below us we didn’t do that well.

We lack pressure
We lack toughness
Opposition teams are not afraid of Collingwood

Teams just wait for us to make a mistake and turnover the ball. How many goals did we we gift to Port.

Why do the players lack confidence

Every week if we lose Buckley will say where we lost the game but yet he and the coaching staff have not been able to rectify or fix our problems.

We are such a frustrating team to watch
The Great Macedonian Marvel