What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Not a movie but a short documentary (15mins) about a wonderful program to protect animals and empower African women - their strength
Last edited by Morrigu on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Project Power.

A Netflix movie production. Had some good reviews in theory but I struggled to get into it. Too much stuff seemed unexplained, so you just go with it.

Basic premise is there's these capsules doing the rounds that will give you superpowers for 15 minutes, or kill you. Everyone gets a different power based on your DNA, or hairstyle or something but you get the same power each time.

Being sold to people as an illicit drug is a covert way of doing illegal clinical trials.

Wasn't bad.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Rewatched Million Dollar Baby for the first time in years last night. The easy KOs in the fight scenes look more fake than I remembered but it's still a tear Jerker. :cry:

I was watching it with my fifteen year old son, who asked me if Clint Eastwood had been in many other films. The first thing I said was 'Yeah! He's a legend.' I better introduce him to Dirty Harry.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Well done. Are you on Letterboxd?
David

Post by David »

Yep, though I have to admit I haven't written on it much since spending about a month on there reviewing every film I watched a couple of years back. I do find it a great resource, though, and often consult it for discussion on films I'm thinking of watching (it's way better than the often comically idiotic reviews on IMDb, that's for sure).

https://letterboxd.com/furbicide/

Do you have an account?
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

No. I have trouble staying focused on the business at hand, so I try to keep my social media accounts to a minimum. But I like the different filters you can use to search for films on Letterboxd. I'll check out your page later today. I find the reviews on Letterboxd are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are quite insightful but a lot of the popular ones are either performatively woke or just "joke" reviews designed to attract likes. Some of the joke reviews are funny but most of them are just meh.
Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

The Weight of All The Beauty. I streamed it from MIFF. It was a twenty four minute Estonian documentary about the destruction wrought on the lives of a group of men by the 'Bottle Demon' I liked it.
Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Sicks Bux wrote:I find the reviews on Letterboxd are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are quite insightful but a lot of the popular ones are either performatively woke or just "joke" reviews designed to attract likes. Some of the joke reviews are funny but most of them are just meh.
Yeah, can't really disagree with that! You also get some random (unintentionally) hilarious stuff like "vegan alerts":

https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/films/ ... /activity/
Vegan alert:
-Cheese dip is served at a klan meeting.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

:lol:
Vegan alert:
-Reference is made to a hamster that was killed.
-Animosity is shown toward a cat (and it's almost kicked).
-The babysitter suggests killing a spider.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Sicks Bux wrote:Rewatched Million Dollar Baby for the first time in years last night. The easy KOs in the fight scenes look more fake than I remembered but it's still a tear Jerker. :cry:

I was watching it with my fifteen year old son, who asked me if Clint Eastwood had been in many other films. The first thing I said was 'Yeah! He's a legend.' I better introduce him to Dirty Harry.
Nah, work him backwards and sideways, these are his new playlist. We'll skip The Mule as I haven't seen that.

Gran torino
Unforgiven

Then track back to the spaghetti trilogy, a fistfull of dollars, for a few dollars more and the Goodthe bad and the ugly.

While his head is spinning, put on Escape from Alcatraz

Then finish him off with High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale rider , every which way but loose and finish him off with Sudden Impact.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Yes. He has a lot of great films. I also liked Magnum Force and Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. The Mule isn't top tier Clint but is still worth seeing.
David

Post by David »

I’ve only seen a few Eastwood films and wouldn’t say I exactly dislike his work, but feel like maybe it’s not quite my cup of tea. I’ve heard some good things about one of his most recent ones, Richard Jewell; has anyone seen that?