Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:Can we make these jokes about the Koran too?
These jokes are about the Koran too.

The Islamic faith is built on the bedrock of the exact same stories as Christianity, Judaism, Rastafarianism, Mormonism, the Druze faith and the Bahá'í faith. These tales feature Abraham, Moses, Adam and Eve, David, Noah, and the usual cast of thousands. Christians call these stories the "Old Testament"; other faiths have other names, but it's all the same stuff, differing only in detail.

Most (probably all) of these religions have a second, more recent body of holy text (or even third), such as the New Testament, the Koran, the Holy Piby, the Book of Mormon, the Epistles of Wisdom, and the various writings of Baháʼu'lláh. (I have omitted Judaism from my list of supplementary texts because the complexities of that religion's holy writings are a bit beyond me.)
I’m sure I didn’t learn about the first testament as the Christians call it in Church. I’m sure it was at the “Hascolah Talmud Torah” in Rathdown Street North Carlton in the 1960’s. Part of the Five Books of Moses.

After school twice a week and on Sundays (before World Championship Wrestling and before World of Sport) We used to have learn swathes of it in Old Hebrew by rote then translate it back to English.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

David wrote:It's probably the first English-language effort since the error-riddled King James Version to have a proper go at translating the original Hebrew
You mean apart from the 57 other translations? Or some such number. I can't remember how many now, but we are talking lots.) And I'm not including the many, many editions translated from some intermediate text, such as the Vulgate.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:Insane. Do these people even read the Bible during services? There are a few awkward passages about ham early on, or so I’ve heard...
One of Noah’s sons wasn’t he along with pineapple
:lol: No wonder his family line ended up being cursed. .....
My brother tells me the Dutch Reform Church (DRC) believed that Ham was hamming it up, not taking Noah seriously, mocked Dad & apart from being unbelievers ended up not being kosher and were damned. According to the DRC the “Blecks” of South Africa were Ham’s descendents providing the Biblical reason for the DRC to give apartheid its religious backing (or something like that)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

US issues warning for companies importing from Xinjiang, China

Several branches of the U.S. government on Wednesday warned private companies against using supply chains tied to forced labor camps in China's Xinjiang province.

Xinjiang, China, is where an estimated one million Uighurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic minorities are facing an alleged expansive campaign of repression, including forced sterilization, destruction of religious sites and mass "re-education" camps.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/abcnews ... d=71559507

:shock:The shipments seized Wednesday contained about 13 tons of hair products suspected to be made with human hair that originated in Xinjiang”
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Morrigu wrote:US issues warning for companies importing from Xinjiang, China

Several branches of the U.S. government on Wednesday warned private companies against using supply chains tied to forced labor camps in China's Xinjiang province.

Xinjiang, China, is where an estimated one million Uighurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic minorities are facing an alleged expansive campaign of repression, including forced sterilization, destruction of religious sites and mass "re-education" camps.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/abcnews ... d=71559507

:shock:The shipments seized Wednesday contained about 13 tons of hair products suspected to be made with human hair that originated in Xinjiang”
That's a WTF indeed :shock:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Jobe Watson landing a plum commentary job at C7.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Cheers David, that's interesting.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Edit. Probably not that funny in hindsight.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

This was a big WTF for me, like, seriously, is Yeezy losing it? :shock:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 7bfa62c476

I think he's losing it.

So what if I trawl through celebrity crap during lunch ;)
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Was there anything firm there to be lost in the first place?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

gees and i was worried about Kartrashian being first lady, this guy makes Trump look sane!

lets just hope Hillary doesnt run against him, they all be hip hoppin down Black Lives matter Plaza!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

luvdids wrote:This was a big WTF for me, like, seriously, is Yeezy losing it? :shock:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 7bfa62c476

I think he's losing it.

So what if I trawl through celebrity crap during lunch ;)
Just seems kind of sad to me: a guy having an extended mental breakdown in front of an audience of millions, and one presumes the supposed presidential run is just part of this manic episode, or whatever it is. There is something unnerving about so many people following every step of this attention-seeking family, mostly out of schadenfreude I guess? Can't help but wonder whether, if all the wealth and fame wasn't there, they might actually lead functional, relatively normal lives.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

David wrote:Just seems kind of sad to me: a guy having an extended mental breakdown in front of an audience of millions ... There is something unnerving about so many people following every step of this attention-seeking family ... Can't help but wonder whether, if all the wealth and fame wasn't there, they might actually lead functional, relatively normal lives.
Possibly, But I doubt it. The whole Trump family are on the edge of being dysfunctional personalities. Donald is well past the edge, and getting visibly more disturbed with every passing week. He's not coping well with the pressure of knowing he is going to lose and he could break out into a full-on psychotic episode at any time. You just can't say when.