Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:Its political bent doesn't make it fake news, it just makes it news you don't like.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/ ... les-surge/
You see how the link you’ve posted talks about gun purchases and says nothing about Muslims? It’s the obviously racist story on the other site that it is not fit to be referred to. That isn’t news - it’s just propaganda.

Also, it is possible to report on an increase in gun sales in Minnesota in a way that doesn’t take a pathetic, gratuitous swipe at people who won’t be buying guns. The second sentence commencing “Some white lefties will kneel” etc is just dog-whistling. It is indefensible, tripe propaganda and should not be cited on Nick’s. it isn’t about what David likes or doesn’t like. It is about whether the racist diatribe against Muslims contains any content that is reasonably justifiable when put together in that way. It doesn’t.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Considering the far left wing propaganda drivel that gets posted around here constantly I see no problem with posting right wing propaganda. Both articles offered citations for their various facts in the form of links to news websites and offered opinion. Just because you don't like the opinion doesn't make it evil, racist, tripe, a diatribe etc.

There ARE Sharia patrols in western nations including New York City, Minneapolis IS a hotbed of terror recruitment and there are obviously moves to get rid of policing for the whole community and install politically left wing organizations in its place, likely in conjunction with the Muslim community. All those points are sourced.

So you don't like what's said and would rather people shut up about it? Too bad.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yeah, nah. That’s just ridiculous, paranoid fantasy.
Pi

Post by Pi »

^
self styled sharia patrols are not new

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... _n_2527111

7 year old article

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-21142148

I believe I have used the proper information 'sauces'

I was unable to find any christian examples of the same sort of behavior from this century.
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

So, in the intervening 7 years since that video and report, how many parts of the UK have become subject to Sharia law?

The paranoid fantasy part of Wokko’s worldview is not that there aren’t other people with beliefs equally as silly as his, albeit of a kind he would oppose. The world is full of all kinds of nutters. The paranoid fantasy lies in imagining that it is possible that such outliers have any chance of becoming more than a trifling and insignificant irrelevancy in the foreseeable future. Hatred born of irrational fear is the inevitable result. Unfortunately, such nonsensical views tend to captivate people in larger numbers than we might wish because so many people seem to find it easier to believe the paranoid conspiracy than to see the world as it really is.

As for your rhetorical flourish, cue some right-to-lifers harassing people trying to get to abortion clinics. Or conservative religious nutters opposing gay marriage.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Pies4shaw wrote:So, in the intervening 7 years since that video and report, how many parts of the UK have become subject to Sharia law?

The paranoid fantasy part of Wokko’s worldview is not that there aren’t other people with beliefs equally as silly as his, albeit of a kind he would oppose. The world is full of all kinds of nutters. The paranoid fantasy lies in imagining that it is possible that such outliers have any chance of becoming more than a trifling and insignificant irrelevancy in the foreseeable future. Hatred born of irrational fear is the inevitable result. Unfortunately, such nonsensical views tend to captivate people in larger numbers than we might wish because so many people seem to find it easier to believe the paranoid conspiracy than to see the world as it really is.

As for your rhetorical flourish, cue some right-to-lifers harassing people trying to get to abortion clinics. Or conservative religious nutters opposing gay marriage.
The Nazis started off with a little over 2% of the vote, were laughed off as fringe nutters. Nobody took the Bolsheviks seriously until they were dragging the Romanovs out to be shot. Nobody took the Iranian Islamic Revolution seriously until the Shah was deposed and the Ayatollahs made the place a fundamentalist shit hole.

You can live in a bubble and stick your fingers in your ears so you don't hear the screams but calling things "paranoid conspiracy" when there's evidence right in front of you is either delusional nonsense or tactical alliance with views you agree with.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

wow, been out all day! what did i start. well for a start, the massive gun sales was a link that didnt mention Muslims. The first article mentioned Sharia policing by private citizens, i then put the 2 together, because as i said, people running around telling other people to cover their hair or get inside by curfew is a recipe for disaster when you combine that with friends with guns. lots of guns. 7 years ago? that shit should never ever have happened on England, should never happen the the USA.

from Wokko "Considering the far left wing propaganda drivel that gets posted around here constantly I see no problem with posting right wing propaganda. Both articles offered citations for their various facts in the form of links to news websites and offered opinion. Just because you don't like the opinion doesn't make it evil, racist, tripe, a diatribe etc." exactly, 100%.

and P4S your not the fish i was baiting for! yes im honest, ill admit it, even though i never get the same honesty back. but if its also true its downright scary. Taking advantage of a very bad situation. And since Pi posted a link that you do believe, it really is damn scary.

So not only have you scared away all of the dodgy cops, (what ever small percentage that is) all the good ones want to quit too. Who knows what will take its place, but ill bet you this, it wont be good. Not for the non criminals anyway. case of be careful what you wish for.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Doesn't matter if the good ones want to leave or not, the city has voted to disband the police department.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -dismantle

What could possibly go wrong?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:The Nazis started off with a little over 2% of the vote, were laughed off as fringe nutters. Nobody took the Bolsheviks seriously until they were dragging the Romanovs out to be shot. Nobody took the Iranian Islamic Revolution seriously until the Shah was deposed and the Ayatollahs made the place a fundamentalist shit hole.

You can live in a bubble and stick your fingers in your ears so you don't hear the screams but calling things "paranoid conspiracy" when there's evidence right in front of you is either delusional nonsense or tactical alliance with views you agree with.

Once again, paranoid fantasy. No amount of frothing makes any of your silly beliefs any less silly, although they remain extremely dangerous beliefs, despite their fundamental stupidity. There is no comparison to be made between the potential ideological force of a system of beliefs, like fascism, that could be grafted on to people’s underlying fears and hatreds and a minority view that is entirely alien and hostile to its political host.

Thus “The Jew is using the Black as muscle against you. What are you gonna do about it, Whitey?” is capable of underpinning a belief system in the US for the very reason that it aims to appeal to the majority with a call to attack minorities. Much, as it happens, as your views about Muslims in Minnesota and New York do - thus, the fact that it is conceivable that the overwhelming majority of people in New York or Minnesota might decide to “ethnically cleanse” a place of Muslims is what makes your views so dangerous and objectionable. There are too many examples of majorities acting in just that way for your views to be tolerated in a sane community. On the other hand, the chances of Minnesota or New York being “taken over” by Muslims are less than 0.

As for the Romanovs, anyone who has read War and Peace or Crime and Punishment would see that the Russian aristocracy was going to come to a sticky end. You can’t build an empire on the back of systematic subjugation of agrarian serfs and a metropolitan under class of hopeless, bereft people and expect it to end well. Such things happen, like Putin has now happened, against a backdrop. They do not happen because an ideology “sneaks up” and takes over.

I expect that there will be little point trying to debate the finer historical points of Hitler’s rise to power but, driving a truck through some very grave complexities, it is fair to say that the moderate conservative forces helped him along because they saw the fascists as the way to stop the Left. They were, of course, correct about that, as far as it went.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

This is related, Broccoli on a Pizza. :shock: :?

https://unicopizzaandkebab.com.au/
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Broccoli on pizza is very common. I don't think the Italians would object. The Italians strongly object to pineapple on pizza.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

I love the US Anthem, this is like what David was saying about ridiculous overreach of the leftist cultural warriors.

After the Occupy movement was killed off the left suddenly became all about the culture war and symbolism, totally dropping their economic focus and, purely a coincidence of course, corporate America jumped onto this new bandwagon en masse.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Imagine is a very slight song (although the F Maj9th suspension on the piano is pretty enough) - but at least it wasn’t written by a racist who owned slaves.

Some good might come of this, of course. All those people who turn up at NFL games and sing silly, overly-ornamented versions of the old junk anthem (I’m looking at you, Aretha - God rest your soul) will probably treat a good song by a fine composer like Lennon with greater respect.

Personally, I’d go for “Cocaine Blues (Take a Whiff)” by The Byrds - it expresses everything that makes America great (electric guitar, drugs, black music and Roger McGuinn), although “My Back Pages” would do at a pinch (imagine having 330 million people stand and repeat “Oh but I was so much older then - I’m younger than that now”).
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I suppose I should add that addressing the need to fix that anthem isn’t a new thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAwPA14Ni4