Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Fair enough, this is a bulletin board not a board room and you're dealing with a significant variance in peoples education, experiences, views and opinions.

I'm sure that in your wide ranging career you will have come across this before but it's worth flagging again, that it's quite common for self perception to be different to the perception of others. That can particularly be the case when the perception of others is only informed by text with no other visual or audio clues.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I think you have communicated sufficiently frequently with me over the years to know that I am very open to people's reasonable opinions. My concern about some of what's being posted (not by you) is that it goes beyond the boundaries of anything for which people have any reasonable basis. Some of the retorts are just nasty.

I understand that some people on here persist steadfastly in a couple of their irrational prejudices. God forbid that I should have as thin a skin about the attacks on people who do my work as some people have about criticisms of the (actually murderous) conduct of too many US police.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:Next time I visit the supermarket I'm buying 'Coon Cheese' and 'Coco Pops' ;)
Get some Chicos and Redskins from the lolly aisle, some Uncle Ben's microwave rice, some Stubbs BBQ sauce and some Aunt Jemimah pancake mix and syrup while you're there.
And returning to normal programming, allegedly Chicos and Redskins are about to be re-named according to something on Facebook. May be right, may not
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

^ I mean, it was surely only a matter of time for the Redskins. That argument’s been going on for years. You all know what I think about the motivations behind corporate virtue-signalling, but maybe some of this stuff is a sign that things are starting to change, and that the dominant narratives of white-majority America are on shakier ground than they’ve ever been. Or, I don’t know, maybe everyone’s PR game is just becoming more airtight. Hard to know.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Pies4shaw wrote: I'm not sure who you think I am or what you think I have done but, really, such questions from you are impertinent. They are intended to convey, aren't they, that you know more about the world than I do? If you think about it, that's actually rather insulting on your part.

I note, for example, that you had a crack at me for being what you described as a "clerical worker" or something similar the other day. It's kind of pathetic. really. Just stop and reflect - even if that attribution were remotely accurate (and, of course, it was a laughably stupid thing for you to say at the time, as you probably would now realise), how would you respond if I suddenly had a crack at you for "being a nurse"? It's not how discussion is conducted and I'd be grateful if you'd pause and take a breath.

Now that I've answered your unacceptably rude and impertinent question, what was it that you wanted to insinuate about me when you got the answer?
Bollocks it wasn't an impertinent question at all!

Given that you accuse anyone who doesn't agree completely with you of being a racist or take a swipe at values it is quite reasonable to ask why you think you are are totally correct. Having never set foot there and never will I think the experiences of those who have and have friends actually living there should not just be brushed off and disregarded as IMO you do. "Have you every been there?" is a frequent question in many threads like say the China one.

And I didn't post just the question I was responding to your post and as seems to be the case lately I frequently when typing get logged out and have to redo it - which is likely to be my ineptitude with the new phone. You can suit yourself whether you believe that or not but it is the case.

And nah pretty sure I know more about medical stuff, Namibian elephants, the Gorillas in Virunga and Moon Bears in Asia than you but that's about all I would comfortably list due to my experiences and travels which are far from extensive - I'm a repeat visitor so like to go to places with more animals than humans.

And I didn't call you a clerical worker (that was your response to Wokko) - I said office worker - you work in an office don't you? that makes you an office worker regardless of your CV. And that was in response to you making claims that the officers were incompetent and it wasn't a split second decision etc. The perceptions and understanding of such situations is different for a first responder who has actually been in and had to manage such a situation to someone who works in an office, a factory or the local takeaway and hasn't - simple as that.

And it seems that the Prosecutor's statement " Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away" was not correct at all!

Oh and I am just a nurse - handy to have around when you are sick but no different or more important than anyone else posting on a footy club bulletin board including you.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^^

@ David

Look, it happens.

When I was a kid, a Fag was a lolly designed to look like a cigarette, as it was a slang term for a cigarette. Nowdays the lollies are called Fads and saying to someone "I'm just going to duck out to smash a fag" has a totally different meaning, not nice.

"Redskins" don't make sense really and haven't for a while, they're red all the way through and have zero link with Native Americans.

"Chicos" I cannot think of a possible way to defend them. I wonder how long Samboy chips has to live.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bucks5 »

How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Don't even know what a "Chico" is, never heard it as a slur before. As for Redskin I'm sure the 5 or so Native Americans in Australia are relieved :roll:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Wokko wrote:Don't even know what a "Chico" is, never heard it as a slur before. As for Redskin I'm sure the 5 or so Native Americans in Australia are relieved :roll:
Chico basically is a boy child in spanish. The lollies are brown jelly babies. It may not be a common slur here but I reckon if you wandered into Juarez and called someone "chico" your remains could be mailed home in a shoe box.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Walked down to the physio earlier. Young woman there I've seen before, there's not much of her, quite petite, but holy shitballs Batman, when she dug the thumbs into the offending muscle once the diagnosis part was done, I thought my eyebrows would be permanently stuck on the back of my head.

It's a postural muscle, running down from the shoulder blade. When she honed in on it I thought my forearm was going to explode. :shock: At one point, if she had of said "OK, now I can either get fair dinkum and push hard, or shoot you in the head" I'd have chosen the head shot. Faaaaaaaaaarrrrk.

Home, 2 panadol, 2 neurofen and a glass of red. Got some exercises to do and an 8:10am Monday appointment. Where's that gun?
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Saw this on Facebook! What could go wrong?

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2020/0 ... t-spencer/

Especially mixed with this
https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/2020 ... reenfield/

96,000 permits in one month. 96. Thousand. One month.

Even more concerning is the renovation of splash mountain!

I hope it’s a fake news site
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Yes, it’s a far-right site with a record of making things up to stir up hatred of Muslims.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/frontpage-magazine/
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Its political bent doesn't make it fake news, it just makes it news you don't like.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/ ... les-surge/
David

Post by David »

^ It’s not fake news in the definitional sense, but it is manipulative, unreliable and designed to paint a distorted picture of the world. Some of the stuff in the first link may or may not be true, but you can see the agenda a mile off, and there’s only so much active fact-checking you can do on people acting in bad faith.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Just keep on taking that red medicine, Stui.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!