Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

You'd have to be a certifiable imbecile to put a noose in the garage of a black Nascar driver at any time, particularly now.

So it's either a plant by a BLM supporter or the act of a Zeta minus intellect.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Did you just equate Police with the KKK? Sick.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:You'd have to be a certifiable imbecile to put a noose in the garage of a black Nascar driver at any time, particularly now.

So it's either a plant by a BLM supporter or the act of a Zeta minus intellect.
Well, as I'm sure you know, being a racist in the US has never required much intellect. I suppose though, someone stupid enough to think this was funny might have had to get a friend to help them make the noose.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:Did you just equate Police with the KKK? Sick.
yes he did

and yes, sick
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:Did you just equate Police with the KKK? Sick.
Yeah, nah. But, you know, you're the guy who reduces complex concepts to trivial memes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/us/o ... -klan.html

https://imdiversity.com/diversity-news/ ... -kkk-ties/

Oh - and here's a guy whose idea of a funny meme misses the mark, by about as far as most of yours: https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2020/05 ... sk-policy/
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Nice try at a backtrack, but it was pretty obvious what you were getting at.

imdiversity articles from 6 years ago to try to cover your vile comment? really? :roll:
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:It ends with lynchings by the Klan. That, of course, is the memory that this latest incident is intended to invoke.
oh really? i never would have guessed, thankyou so much for that insight! i mean ive never watched Mississippi burning, Django, A time to kill, just off the top of my head! (no pun intended)

but hopefully thats not where it ends anymore.
And here we are, come full circle - they do it with guns in Minneapolis and Atlanta, now.
Seriously are you just trolling or actually demented?

Yep there are issues with policing that need addressing from an attitudinal and training perspective but that won’t make a scrap of difference unless the communities can drive change from within and the social issues and gun culture is addressed. Until then the police and first responders will be the ones responding to and trying to make some sense and process the shite and real threat they deal with everyday - especially from guns! Imagine having to attend the fatal shooting of a 3 year old child just sitting in the car shot dead when they actually meant to shoot his father :( Black child, black shooter, black and white cops - means nothing still dead!!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

No backtrack. The reason people have been protesting all over the country is because those were racially-motivated killings. You don't have to agree (I appreciate that you are completely in denial about why black Americans got upset about these events in staggering numbers) - and you can even believe that it can't be a racially-motivated killing of a black person unless the guy with the gun (or noose) is wearing a badly-sewn sheet to cover his conehead - but you can grow up and deal with it.

Or do you seriously think so many people were up in arms because they think a couple of police shot a couple of black people by accident?

Such questions admit of only one answer amongst reasonable people who are not looking to apologise for the consequences of systematic racism. It depresses me deeply that there are people who are willing to put contrary views on this Board - and persist in that to the point where they would accuse people who put a straight-forward, unexceptionable and widely-held view, of trolling.

Of course I'm not trolling. I'm just a grown-up, deeply embarrassed by some of the nonsense spouted on here, who'd rather that Collingwood supporters who read these threads casually didn't think we were all racists.

I don't understand where people's values lie that they can be so worried about the fate of animals and yet so completely disinterested in the systematic subjugation of entire peoples that they would rather pretend it isn't happening.

Why have people been protesting in America? Because - whatever view you want to take about it - large numbers of them consider that black Americans are being systematically subjugated and singled out for killing by police forces that are supposed to protect them.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

^ out of curiosity have you ever traveled extensively, lived or worked outside your self described “privileged” life?

I used to care very deeply about human life - it’s why I became a nurse and gave up much to do a few “tours” with MSF in refugee camps and countries that don’t have our wealth and volunteered a lot of my time and energy to try and help and improve things.

But “ causes” and “ interests” and well human greed get in the way of real progression - humans are well on the whole meh! Animals are far more honest in their actions and needs and their survival is now at the hands of greedy scumbag humans!

I’m not a racist - you want to label me so care factor zero - I have little interest in the opinion of virtue signallers who have done fck all except mouth off on SM.

Of course there are issues of racism, of social injustice, of ingrained misogyny and domestic violence of religious intolerance and and and in every society ... but IMO doesn’t negate the evidence and facts in any situation where the law is involved - regardless of the colour of the accused or the victim!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Of course I have. I've had a much more diverse career than you obviously imagine. I have, amongst other things, been a professional musician (across several fields - rock, folk, what we used to cal r&b when Muddy and Walter were on the bandstand, jazz, musicals), worked in low-level labouring jobs (sorting plywood was a particular favourite as a teenager), been a senior public servant (30 years ago before I got a real job) - working in central policy, in research and in line management positions responsible for thousands of people, run a major organisation in the disability services not-for-profit sector (in my spare time, while I studied law full-time), worked as a commercial lawyer in one of the world's leading firms with the CEOs of some of the world's largest companies, been an academic at one of the World's top 20 universities, been a successful commercial barrister working on massive cases of a size and complexity that you couldn't probably even begin to imagine (I'm not having a go at you - most lawyers couldn't grasp the work I did, let alone do it) and now run a commercial law firm, as well as sitting on the boards of a number of charities (some of which I set up myself), never of course, for remuneration. That's just the skeleton outline. I'm sorry I can't send you a CV but I haven't had to apply for a job for over a quarter of a century because people just ask me to do stuff for them and if it interests me, I take it on. Anyway, a CV wouldn't be much use, since you've never worked in an organisation that could afford me. As for travel, I've been to many places, probably fewer than you you, though because I've probably had a bit more on, most days, over the last 45 years or so of my working life.

I'm not sure who you think I am or what you think I have done but, really, such questions from you are impertinent. They are intended to convey, aren't they, that you know more about the world than I do? If you think about it, that's actually rather insulting on your part.

I note, for example, that you had a crack at me for being what you described as a "clerical worker" or something similar the other day. It's kind of pathetic. really. Just stop and reflect - even if that attribution were remotely accurate (and, of course, it was a laughably stupid thing for you to say at the time, as you probably would now realise), how would you respond if I suddenly had a crack at you for "being a nurse"? It's not how discussion is conducted and I'd be grateful if you'd pause and take a breath.

Now that I've answered your unacceptably rude and impertinent question, what was it that you wanted to insinuate about me when you got the answer?
think positive

Post by think positive »

wow. im truly gobsmacked now. thats a rant and a half. I dont know whats really going on here. You never used to be like this, well i didnt think so anyway. my initial post was heartfelt, and about people i actually know, not just some far off yankie. and your reply was like a slap in the face. So i responded with sarcasm which seems to colour a few posters here these days.

I honestly cant believe someone with the above resume can pretty much label all police as the klu klux klan! yes there are certainly a few rogue cops, but i dont believe for a minute they go looking to kill black men. yes some may be racists and they certainly use racial profiling, which, to a point, i understand. But there is an awful lot of bloody good cops out there trying their best to fix a mess they have no control over.i have no idea how much you have travelled in the states, but its not how you paint it. There are a hell of a lot of good people there, and they come in all colours.

I am just a mechanic! But I dont look down on anyone, and i expect the same in return, dont often get it though. Ill leave you to it, your being ridiculous and arguing for the sake of it. like i said i dont know whats really going on here, but its not a decent discussion. You dont want people to think collingwood supporters are racist because of these threads?? personally i think people have better things to do than read this forum for the hell of it! And you may not see it but your posts are coming across as trolling. and belittling.

I have made it pretty clear how much i love the US and its people, all of its people. I love just driving around meeting people. I hate the guns, and the gun culture. I hate the lopsided wealth distribution. I hate that these people are suffering. And i really am terrified for what is happening there.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

If you think I was labelling "all police as the Ku Klux Klan", you are not reading my posts fairly. That was just Wokko doing his usual dog-whistling. Why others chimed in to agree, I don't know. I guess it's a substitute for thinking through what people are actually saying.

What's "really going on here" is simple - Morrigu thought she'd have a crack at my lived experience of life. She asked an impertinent question and received a full answer. She can do what she likes with it. For what it is worth, she added extensively to her post after I read it - as originally posted, it just contained the first line, ie "^ out of curiosity have you ever traveled extensively, lived or worked outside your self described “privileged” life?" Perhaps you think that she was asking that for a reason other than to belittle me? I don't. My entire post was a response to that one appalling question.

Of course there are good cops. I expect they are the vast majority. They are not the ones doing the unlawful killing. I'm talking about the others - the ones who are doing the unlawful killing. Those others are the ones that people have been protesting about in the US.

In my opinion, the failure of people to make that distinction is at the heart of the present confusion about this topic. I'm not labelling an entire industry criminal, here. I'm talking about a number of cops who, between them, have plainly killed too many black people in circumstances where you and I would both say, I am quite sure, the killing should not have happened.
think positive

Post by think positive »

If you read back over your posts you really do come across as blaming all cops, as if it’s an extensive problem, and you have made the crack that if the police were defunded people might not notice.

I wasn’t listening to Wokko, I read it the same way he did.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Actually TP, reading the above posts a couple of things stick out for me.

1. P4S is clearly on quite good terms with himself.
2. He's used to having his opinions and thoughts accepted as gold plated fact and it has likely been that way for a long time.

so, when mere mortals treat him as a mere mortal, challenge and disagree with him, he can get snippy at the impertinence.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Actually, I'm used to having my opinions tested rigorously in very cut-throat settings by a lot of people, many of whom are pretty good at what they do. They get courteous responses, because they don't take gratuitous swipes. Occasionally, like here, some of them do attribute arguments to me that I patently do not make.

Putting the latest gratuitous crack at Pies4shaw to one side (just for a moment - I'm sure there will be more), my responses in this thread are mainly occasioned by (1) Wokko's rather tiresome dog-whistling; (2) people who usually know better piling on for sport; and (3) Morrigu deciding it might be fun to have a crack at my "life experience", like I was some callow youth who'd lived through nothing.

I don't know why you feel it's necessary to add to the pile. But, then again, it's not my sandpit, I suppose.