Post Match. Pies/Tigers draw. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Collingwood 5.6.36
Richmond 5.6.36

Goals: Flip 2, C Brown, Sidey, Adams 1.

Disposals: Pendles 31, Sidey 27, Maynard, Daics 24, Adams 21, Howe, Flip, Crisp 20, Mayne 16, De Goey, Noble 15, C Brown, Grundy, Cameron 13.

AF points: Pendles 104, Flip 101, Adams 100, Sidey 83, Crisp 82, Howe 79, Maynard 78, Daics 80
Last edited by Donny on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Adz wrote:I do not want to hear “positives from that result”. It’s that loser mentality that has plagued the club.
Agree completely. Mediocrity is too easily accepted with any and every excuse imaginable given. !
Oh for goodness sake MM. The premiers from last season only kicked 5 goals too!!!! If we are losers and mediocre, then so are the reigning premiers!! Give all the players of all teams are break, including ours. They are trying to play the game to the best of their ability in extremely unusual and trying circumstances.
PP, you are probably right! After this football team sends me totally insane I'll come over to your house to lie down on your couch for a calming psychiatric session!! :wink:
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

PyreneesPie wrote:^ We were first to the ball more often :)
Yeah that was a tactic that worked a treat because it made us turn it over that much quicker
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

Terrible, terrible game. If you didnt barrack for one of the teams you would have turned that crap off.

The score review is an absolute shambles.
The first one the goal ump thinks its a point but wanted to see if Richmond got a foot on the ball. The replay is inconclusive so it should have been umpires call. The reviewer says "clearly" came off Collingwood.
So correct in that 1 point is result, but clearly the reviewer got it wrong as there was no clear and unequivocal evidence.

As for the mark over the line ... I didnt hear what the goal ump called but for the reviewer to say it was "CLEARLY" marked before the line is a joke. This too should have been umpires call.

So 2 absolute fails for the ARC
Millane42

Post by Millane42 »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Millane42 wrote: Tigers more hungry than us and shows why they’re dual premiers and we are also rans
Oh, did we just get thrashed by the premiers of last season????? How pathetic are we????
We threw away a 24 point lead with a total of 36. Mediocrity doesn’t win premierships and this team can’t win close games in big games - see 2018 GF and 2019 PF and now add only game of 2020 home and away against reigning premiers. This is Collingwood always excuses - if only carman played in 77, harmes 79, rocca’s point 02, rocca suspension 03, 18 could blame runner getting in the way, Langdon brain farts x 2 which cost the game it’s a culture of not sealing the deal. Hawks have it cats of last 15 years but not us that’s a fact. 27 losing GFs in total. It sucks it’s hard to swallow we usually come close but don’t have that killer in them to be a great successful club I wish we did
Most of my favourite bands start with "M" - Mars Volta, Mastodon, Megadeth, Metallica, Midnight Oil, Misfits...except King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I am thrilled. We absolutely matched last year's premiers. Our defence was utterly brilliant. I was worried about it being top heavy, but once again the selectors have proven me wrong. Defence at ground level was utterly astonishing. Riewoldt was nullified. Lynch kicked two, and was given a couple of generous decisions, but overall was minimised. Jeremy Howe was BOG, in my opinion. Entire defence though withstood an outburst from the reigning Premiers. Our defence is Premiership standard, no doubt. The synchronisation and the amazing fast reflexive handballs out of defence have gone to another level. Our defensive strategies are absolutely elite. Our forward line was not dysfunctional, just suffered the same issues as Richmond's. We were blocked by a Premiership defence, and were not able to overcome them, just yet. Magnificent game Pies. I am rapt. Richmond will feel the fear in their bones when they meet us again.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Lone Ranger wrote:Terrible, terrible game. If you didnt barrack for one of the teams you would have turned that crap off.

The score review is an absolute shambles.
The first one the goal ump thinks its a point but wanted to see if Richmond got a foot on the ball. The replay is inconclusive so it should have been umpires call. The reviewer says "clearly" came off Collingwood.
So correct in that 1 point is result, but clearly the reviewer got it wrong as there was no clear and unequivocal evidence.

As for the mark over the line ... I didnt hear what the goal ump called but for the reviewer to say it was "CLEARLY" marked before the line is a joke. This too should have been umpires call.

So 2 absolute fails for the ARC
I used to believe a saying that said “if you don’t look for a solution, you are a part of the problem.”
Now in my dotage I have found a bit of wisdom. Sometimes there is just no solution.
This applies perfectly to the AFL regarding the quality of the umpiring and that at times at the end of the season, some teams tank in order to get a higher draft pick. I now realise that in both these cases there will never be a solution because the AFL don’t believe that they have a problem
Last edited by Lazza on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Monco Matt wrote: PP, you are probably right! After this football team sends me totally insane I'll come over to your house to lie down on your couch for a calming psychiatric session!! :wink:
:lol: :lol: I think I could do wonders for you MM.
:wink:

I think that everyone needs to realize that this is an altered reality for all teams. I agree with so many of the coaches and analysts who say this will the hardest premiership of all to win. Which ever team wins it will be the one with the greatest mental toughness, aside from those like the Giants who have been gifted incredible talent. :wink:

The sacrifices that everyone associated with the game have had to make to get the season underway again are simply enormous. The usual parameters of what makes a good game/ a good win/an honourable loss/a pathetic effort simply do not apply this season. I applaud all of the players of every team, all the coaches and auxillary staff for simply not throwing in the towel as far as 2020 goes. What they have to endure is unfathomable. They remain in isolation while the rest of us are allowed some social freedom. The single guys are not allowed any dalliances. They have to go through that excruciating Covid test twice a week. Ollie Wines is suspended for having a TV interview on his front porch FFS!!!!

So, rubbishing our team is just not acceptable in my view, (not in any circumstances actually) but especially not for saving a draw against the reigning premiers. We should be applauding them just for being out there!!!!!
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote:I am thrilled. We absolutely matched last year's premiers. Our defence was utterly brilliant. I was worried about it being top heavy, but once again the selectors have proven me wrong. Defence at ground level was utterly astonishing. Riewoldt was nullified. Lynch kicked two, and was given a couple of generous decisions, but overall was minimised. Jeremy Howe was BOG, in my opinion. Entire defence though withstood an outburst from the reigning Premiers. Our defence is Premiership standard, no doubt. The synchronisation and the amazing fast reflexive handballs out of defence have gone to another level. Our defensive strategies are absolutely elite. Our forward line was not dysfunctional, just suffered the same issues as Richmond's. We were blocked by a Premiership defence, and were not able to overcome them, just yet. Magnificent game Pies. I am rapt. Richmond will feel the fear in their bones when they meet us again.
Thank you MTTM. Thank you. I could not agree more with every single thing you have said. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Jacky boy couldn't make the distance from 40 metres to even score. He'll be the guy sleeping the worst tonight. If we had kicked even close to straight we would have won it by 3 goals. The best thing is Richmond didn't beat us, and we will be in their heads for the rest of the year until we meet them in the finals and knock them out again.
Get back on top.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Don't know how to feel.

The first quarter was excellent, and I was happy with our progress. After midway through the second quarter, our performance deteriorated quickly. The majority of the playing group looked out of puff and the lack of training over the last two to three months was evident.

Howe was best on ground. He kept us in the game when Richmond were applying enormous pressure on us in the second half.

C Brown and Daicos were major positives in the first quarter, but both struggled after that. I'm hoping the attributes displayed in the first quarter is a sign that they're ready to raise their games to the next level as they embark on the 4th year of their careers.

The umpiring was terrible, but many including myself have already raised this so no point going over old ground again.

If tonight is an indication of the season ahead, I think it's going to be a long season for the AFL. If Collingwood wasn't playing tonight, I would have tuned out early in the second half.
Last edited by Jezza on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Cam wrote:Jacky boy couldn't make the distance from 40 metres to even score. He'll be the guy sleeping the worst tonight.
That was truly extra-ordinary, wasn't it Cam!! Just reinforces my post above - all the usual assumptions and parameters that we hold about this game will fly out the window for a while. If the season even manages to go long enough, I reckon footy "normality" will take a some time to click in.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I’m gutted we didn’t win.

Positives:

First quarter
Daics
Brown
Defence
Adams
Pendles

Negatives:

Last 3/4’s
Attack
Tackles:66 them 30 us
Clearances
DeGoey and Phillips wastefulness in front of goal
We didn’t win

Frustrating
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Good summary, WPT.

Agree with all of that.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Millane42 wrote: it’s a culture of not sealing the deal. Hawks have it cats of last 15 years but not us that’s a fact. 27 losing GFs in total. It sucks it’s hard to swallow we usually come close but don’t have that killer in them to be a great successful club I wish we did
I think you're equating this game with that of others in a "normal" season. It's not and won't be for a while yet.