What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:The Day After Tomorrow. Absolutely hilarious. A climate change disaster movie in which the north polar icecaps melts as a result of global warming, drastically altering the salinity of the Atlantic, which, in turn, causes alterations to the North Atlantic current that trigger a new Ice Age. The United States is basically destroyed and - on the advice of our Climate Science Hero - the doubting President orders northerners to shelter in place and southerners to evacuate. I fell asleep to magnificent scenes of Americans illegally crossing the Rio Grande to reach the safety of Mexico as unlawful non-citizens. I don’t know how it ends but I expect the ending is less relevant than the destructive spectacle.

Great stuff. Some of the CGI is quite well done and some of the acting is close to passable. Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm), cast in the role of the Elderly Omniscient Scientist who is monitoring temperature fluctuations in the World’s oceans, adds some dignity to proceedings (I suppose).
A classic in the hokey disaster film genre, that one! I saw it when it came out and was (as a 15-year-old) unironically impressed by it. Would be interesting to revisit it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I saw The Towering Inferno when it came out. But that was more of a serious contribution to the genre than The Day After Tomorrow.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

That sounds like it wouldn't be a difficult feat. :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I may, of course, have been inclined to treat The Towering Inferno as a more serious work of art because I had to pay to see it.
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

2 nights ago;

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I liked it, but I love old westerns and that whole era of filmmaking and picked up on who the characters were supposed to be during the film.

Last Night;

Point Break. (2015)

Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. Absolutely horrific. Got about 40 mins in and we stopped it.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Presti35 wrote:2 nights ago;

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I liked it, but I love old westerns and that whole era of filmmaking and picked up on who the characters were supposed to be during the film.

Last Night;

Point Break. (2015)

Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. Absolutely horrific. Got about 40 mins in and we stopped it.

Once upon a time in Hollywood is a great film - marvellous acting.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Recently watched Trumbo (2015). Very good film on Netflix. True story from the McCarthy Era.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dZ_2ICpJE

A great film from 1976 about the McCarthy era starring but not written or directed by Woody Allen is "The Front" really well worth seeing: a ripper of a film

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq8V9Zwa82M

Saw "Special Correspondents" on Netflix (2017) with Ricky Gervais and Eric Bana good without being great althoughn the premise is great.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKTFAEQgSY
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

David wrote:A classic in the hokey disaster film genre, that one! I saw it when it came out and was (as a 15-year-old) unironically impressed by it. Would be interesting to revisit it.
I went to the cinema to see 'The Day After Tomorrow' as a 10 year old. Good times!
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bucks5 »

In the 1990's there was a heavily promoted disaster film called Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman. The trailer looked so good so I made the Journey to Doncaster to watch it on the big screen.

It seemed like the first hour and a half was leading up to the asteroid hitting the Earth, and the last 20 minutes was the aftermath. I left feeling it was the most overhyped movie ever and I had been conned.

I haven't gone to the cinema since.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Yeah I kind that one disappointing too
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bucks5 wrote:In the 1990's there was a heavily promoted disaster film called Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman. The trailer looked so good so I made the Journey to Doncaster to watch it on the big screen.

It seemed like the first hour and a half was leading up to the asteroid hitting the Earth, and the last 20 minutes was the aftermath. I left feeling it was the most overhyped movie ever and I had been conned.

You win, the last time I went to the cinema was to take my daughter who was still in primary school to one of the LOTR movies. She's now 28.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Coen Brothers week on SBS this week starting with:

"No Country for old Men" on Monday 29/6/ 9.30
"Millers Crossing" on Tuesday 9.30
"Barton Fink" on Wednesday 9.30
"Raising Arizona" on Thursday 9.30
"Intolerable Cruently" on Friday 7.30
"True Grit" on Friday on Friday 9.40

SBS are showing some great films on their movie channel
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

The real True Grit? Or the second-rate recent remake?
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

stui magpie wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:In the 1990's there was a heavily promoted disaster film called Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman. The trailer looked so good so I made the Journey to Doncaster to watch it on the big screen.

You win, the last time I went to the cinema was to take my daughter who was still in primary school to one of the LOTR movies. She's now 28.
I remember going to see all three Star Wars movies in a triple-header to mark the release of the third one (either The Empire Strikes Back or The Return of the Jedi, I forget what order they came out in). That would be ... oh ... 1984 maybe.

And a couple of years after that I foolishly agreed to go with 6 or 8 friends to see Wayne's World, which was awful. Never been back.

The first film I remember seeing was Laurence of Arabia in 1964 at the open-air theatre in Alice Springs. Back in those days, it wasn't considered worthwhile putting a roof on the town movie theatre. I mean, what would be the point? It's not as if it rains often enough to worry about.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
watt price tully

Tannin wrote:The real True Grit? Or the second-rate recent remake?
I liked both