So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bought some lemons back from Toc. Great old lemon tree up there, old fashioned, heaps of fruit and slightly sweet. Made some lemon meringue tarts tonight.

Apparently they look like a bought one :P

That's snax for the next few days, unless the daughter comes over and cleans me out.

For actual dinner just doing some chicken rissoles, mashed sweet potato and some steamed veges.
Last edited by stui magpie on Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

^ Yum!
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:Bought some lemons back from Toc. Great old lemon tree up there, old fashioned, heaps of fruit and slightly sweet. Made some lemon meringue tarts tonight.

That's snax for the next few days, unless the daughter comes over and cleans me out.

For actual dinner just doing some chicken rissoles, mashed sweet potato and some steamed veges.
If you can share the recipe for the tarts, :D :D :D :D :D :D
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Bought some lemons back from Toc. Great old lemon tree up there, old fashioned, heaps of fruit and slightly sweet. Made some lemon meringue tarts tonight.

If you can share the recipe for the tarts, :D :D :D :D :D :D
This is one of those cheat cooks

I bought the tart shells from the supermarket. If you don't want to do that crush some sweet biscuits, mix with butter and press into a foil tart liner

Filling is 1 can condensed milk, juice and zest from 3 lemons and 2 eggs. Whip it good, pour into the shells and cook at 180 for about 10 minutes.

For the meringue, hit the cake aisle at your supermarket and get a white wings Pavlova Magic plastic egg and follow the instructions except you spread it on top and brown with a blow torch rather than baking.

If you don't have blow torch, go to your local cigarette shop, get a wind proof, jet or blow torch lighter for $2. Once tarts are cool, spread meringue over top and brown with the blow torch / lighter
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

:P :P :P

who said that??!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

This crazy chick I know on Facebook. :wink:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Doing a sort of Irish stew tonight.

4 large forequarter lamb chops, seasoned floured and browned. Onion, garlic, carrot, celery, zucchini, purple brussel sprouts and spuds all in the pan for a stir round, white wine and chicken stock, put the chops back on top, put the lid on the big cast iron dutch oven thing and cook for a few hours on low.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

In baking paper wrapped up for a type of seal, steamed a piece of salmon with dill, fennel, a bit of soy and a drop of sesame oil. Had that with steamed cauliflower, broccoli and green beans.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Made 63 beef meatballs which had: minced beef, garlic, salt, an egg, some grated mozzarella, some finely chopped flat leafed parsely, finely grated parmesan, pepper, minced garlic, water and cayenne pepper. All mixed through and left to sit then browned using the sear function on the slow cooker.
Now to make the napoli sauce where I’ll poach the meatballs for a good 60-90 minutes.
I’ll serve the meatballs with zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower/ mashed broccoli mix.
That’s got entree covered.

....Nice comfort food
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Sounds yum.

Mind you, I hope that's either a few nights worth or you're feeding the family, cos if you're going to chow through that for your entree tonight they'll be able to use your Y fronts as a site screen at the cricket. :P
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Making a Banoffee Pie. Yeah, I'd never heard of it either

https://www.thecookingcollective.com.au/banoffee-pie/

For some reason this morning, I remembered seeing these cans of Carnation caramel fill in supermarkets when I was looking for condensed milk. So I googled it, checked it out, then googles recipes and found this one.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:Making a Banoffee Pie. Yeah, I'd never heard of it either

For some reason this morning, I remembered seeing these cans of Carnation caramel fill in supermarkets when I was looking for condensed milk. So I googled it, checked it out, then googles recipes and found this one.
Wow, your islets of langerhans won't forgive you :wink:
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Dinner at your place, WPT?
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

stui magpie wrote:Making a Banoffee Pie. Yeah, I'd never heard of it either

OMG I love Banoffee Pie!! Pretty simple too.
Another simple recipe to use the caramel fill is put some Butternut Snap biscuits in queen cake trays, sitting on top of the little round parts, put in the oven til they soften, push them into the holes then fill with the caramel, bit of whipped cream on top, yumo.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

knocked up a quick penne carbonara last night, knackered.

Tonight, after a 6pm conference call (really?) did some lambs fry (that's liver for those playing at home) with bacon, onions and a red wine sauce.

All cooked and put in a casserole dish in a slow oven by 7pm, cook mash spuds and some steamed veges, serve at 8pm. Choice.