#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Cut him loose.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

As much as we might feel we are justified, we can't cut him loose at this point - need to support him until he resolves his future.

Without knowing anything about the situation, you could imagine the potentially tragic outcome if we did.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Sad news. Hope he gets himself right to play a meaningful role for the Pies as soon as possible.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

He’s gone for good now. What a bust. Hope we aren’t paying him his full contract.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

We coughed a Rd1 (pick 6) for Beams.

Whilst he has been great servant for us, 2010 makes him an immortal, we got dudded big time by the Lions.

The Lions would have known something wasnt right with him.

Stuff it.
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Unfortunate and hope he can get healthy

But it’s a ridiculous bloody caper for Collingwood supposed to be one of the professional clubs to make such an amateurish decision.

The cap pressure (getting a bloke who held us to ransom when he left) is having an impact, beams has always been a midfield forward type of player, never takes responsibility and never chased back.

Come to an agreement and move on whilst ensuring he is supported emotionally and medically.

Collingwood stop making business decisions out of your arse
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

The way I presume collingwood judged Beams was based on a coming home to Melbourne for his wifes sake. He no doubt was worth a first round pick which would have been used up in getting Quanor. We got Quanor anyway!! Hiis injury during the year may have put him in the state of mind he is currently in! He is and was a great player even if he was not a great defensively was always worth the trade. Hoping he gets his mojo back, had it payed off last year it was still worth the gamble!!!
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Mossi wrote: Hoping he gets his mojo back, had it payed off last year it was still worth the gamble!!!
But it didn’t so it wasn’t.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

This is just so disappointing in every way. :cry:
carn the mighty pies!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

A players health is more important than his football, and I'm sure all of us wish him well in his struggle overcoming his mental health demons. I bare no illwell towards Dane at all.

However, one really has to question the due diligence and professionalism of our football department in agreeing to forgo 2 first round draft picks for a player, known publicly to have been battling these mental health problems. His recruitment has proved to be an unmitigated disaster.

Not happy Jan. :evil:
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

At the time of his recruitment and without the benefit of knowing what the club actually did or didn't know about Dayne's mental health state or any possible aggravating factors I can only say I was in favour of the trade.

We'd just lost a Grand Final by 5pts and with Lynch selecting Richmond the opportunity to add an elite player still playing high calibre football seemed like a reasonable decision to make. That we could do this whilst also taking a player for the future in Quaynor with a 1st round selection made it even more appealing.

I guess though the one burning question that left some lingering doubts in my mind was that drama has a way of finding Dayne and one has to query whether he's just unlucky or something in his personality or actions attract it?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Seth

Post by Seth »

We gave up way too much in the first place even with a healthy Beams playing week in, week out. Sometimes fairy tales just dont end well. Get well Dayne and that is first and foremost for yourself but this has been an unmitigated disaster for the club that will set us back a few years unfortunately with no early draft picks for a couple of years. Terrible decision in first place and a lack of due diligence on behalf of the club.
melliot

Post by melliot »

RudeBoy wrote:A players health is more important than his football, and I'm sure all of us wish him well in his struggle overcoming his mental health demons. I bare no illwell towards Dane at all.

However, one really has to question the due diligence and professionalism of our football department in agreeing to forgo 2 first round draft picks for a player, known publicly to have been battling these mental health problems. His recruitment has proved to be an unmitigated disaster.

Agree. Said at the time of the deal. Anything more than a 1st round pick was to dear. And should pass otherwise.

Pretty much burnt 2 first round picks.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

RudeBoy wrote:A players health is more important than his football, and I'm sure all of us wish him well in his struggle overcoming his mental health demons. I bare no illwell towards Dane at all.

Exactly. We finally got into the Premiership window and shot ourselves in the foot with several very bad trades/deals where we’ve paid way overs for players past their prime. I’m talking Beams, Wells and Mayne. Yes Mayne has been OK but still paying overs.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930