Post Match. Pies pipped in Prelim. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

[quote="watt price tully"]
Another troll. Are you and Adz the same poster? This was not a grand final genius. Pathetic & histrionic nonsense. Learn to grow a pair.

Scarred FFS
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Magpietothemax wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:John Noble, well done to you. Only a kid, in his 5th (or is it 6th) AFL game. He will learn so much from this, and I am looking forward to see him develop next year, after a pre-season. I sense that he might also be develop as a fast small forward.
You do realise he is 22 going on 23? And sadly he won't get any taller. Did you see how tall the Giants were compared to us in the lineup for the anthem? No disrespect to JN who tried his heart out but he is short and light bodied (and he's not Robinson Crusoe at Collingwood). If we are serious as a club about taking the next level we have to draft big KPPs like the Giants have (and remember they haven't had preferential picks for a couple of years now). I'm sorry, but our recruiting of small mids over the last 8 or 9 years has killed us.
Just remember, John Noble cost us nothing. I think he can be developed as small forward..he has lots of ability.
Yes, we do need to address the issue of height. we need another tall forward.
But how can you say our recruitment has "killed us" ?
We made a GF last year, and a PF this year, which we lost by a whisker?
Oh boy! I have supported the New England Patriots in the NFL for 30 years now. Since 2001 we have played in a Super Bowl on average every second year (under Tom Brady). We have in that time won 6 and lost 3 more that we should have won. The Patriots have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls in a strict salary cap league with a similar draft to the AFL. Such excellence should not happen. But it does, as the Patriots are at very short odds to win the whole shibbang again this year and Tom Brady is 42!

The difference is they have the best coach alive (Bill Bellichick) who takes no nonsense. They have the best system that doesn't rely on stars. Most of all their fans expect them to succeed every year. Being mediocre isn't an option. The Patriot way is to win whatever the cost. That's why they are hated by all other supporters. I'm not sure Eddie is prepared for the bastardry that is required to succeed these days. He's always trying to foster the good guys image. The Giants (as dirty as sin) realise that you don't get any prizes for being nice guys. That's why I full expect Toby Greene to be in the running for the Norm Smith next week. Where is our mongrel as a club? It's a very serious question. I'm not sure in all my years supporting the club we've ever had it.

The Machine of the 1920s had it. That's why Collingwood got its reputation and is still hated today. But these days Eddie and Bucks would rather us be good citizens than winners. The only problem is that in professional sport our business is winning. And we simply don't win enough premierships anymore (if you think 2 in 60 years is a good strike rate then my case rests: we are the new Arsenal fans.
Prometheus
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Prometheus »

Piesnchess wrote: im disappointed, but kinda relieved we wont lose a GF to Richmond !
My sentiments exactly.

We just aren't quite good enough and are lacking up forward.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Piesnchess wrote: im disappointed, but kinda relieved we wont lose a GF to Richmond !
My sentiments exactly.

We just aren't quite good enough and are lacking up forward.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Goodbye enjoy your mediocre summer. Today was a must win match because all the odds were stacked in our favour. We lost. If you're happy with that then obviously you'll be delighted Richmond will be one more premiership closer to us next Saturday. And the way we're going (especially if we lose Grundy) Carlton will win a flag before us.

But enjoy you mutual mediocrity appreciation society. And while you're at it you may as well join the Arsenal Football Club. :roll:
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Looking forward to Summer. I am sure it will be more than mediocre.

Enjoy the offseason, get some sunshine it’s good for the soul.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

shawthing wrote:...
Oh boy! I have supported the New England Patriots in the NFL for 30 years now. Since 2001 we have played in a Super Bowl on average every second year (under Tom Brady). We have in that time won 6 and lost 3 more that we should have won. The Patriots have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls in a strict salary cap league with a similar draft to the AFL. Such excellence should not happen. But it does, as the Patriots are at very short odds to win the whole shibbang again this year and Tom Brady is 42!

The difference is they have the best coach alive (Bill Bellichick) who takes no nonsense. They have the best system that doesn't rely on stars. Most of all their fans expect them to succeed every year. Being mediocre isn't an option. The Patriot way is to win whatever the cost. That's why they are hated by all other supporters. ...
We should probably continue this discussion in the NFL thread, but some of the Patriots' past actions have pushed the line or descended into outright cheating (e.g. spying, ball tampering). There are also endless arguments about whether Belichick made Brady or Brady made Belichick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/spor ... ating.html
Last edited by K on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

shawthing wrote:

The difference is they have the best coach alive (Bill Bellichick) who takes no nonsense. They have the best system that doesn't rely on stars. Most of all their fans expect them to succeed every year. Being mediocre isn't an option. The Patriot way is to win whatever the cost. That's why they are hated by all other supporters. I'm not sure Eddie is prepared for the bastardry that is required to succeed these days. He's always trying to foster the good guys image. The Giants (as dirty as sin) realise that you don't get any prizes for being nice guys. That's why I full expect Toby Greene to be in the running for the Norm Smith next week. Where is our mongrel as a club? It's a very serious question. I'm not sure in all my years supporting the club we've ever had it.

The Machine of the 1920s had it. That's why Collingwood got its reputation and is still hated today. But these days Eddie and Bucks would rather us be good citizens than winners. The only problem is that in professional sport our business is winning. And we simply don't win enough premierships anymore (if you think 2 in 60 years is a good strike rate then my case rests: we are the new Arsenal fans.
If you think the AFL would allow one club to win a Premiership every two years indefinitely then you are out of touch.
Your analogy is completey flawd.
GWS' victory tonight was, fundamentally, on the basis of the maturation of several years of top draft picks.
The media falsely portrayed GWS as "depleted", when in fact their missing player list was no more serious than ours.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:

The difference is they have the best coach alive (Bill Bellichick) who takes no nonsense. They have the best system that doesn't rely on stars. Most of all their fans expect them to succeed every year. Being mediocre isn't an option. The Patriot way is to win whatever the cost. That's why they are hated by all other supporters. ...
We should probably continue this discussion in the NFL thread, but some of the Patriots' past actions have pushed the line or descended into outright cheating (e.g. spying, ball tampering). There are also endless arguments about whether Belichick made Brady or Brady made Belichick.
Thanks K. I know nothing about NFL, but your comment sheds alot of light on the duplicity of Shawhting's comparison.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Magpietothemax wrote:...
Thanks K. I know nothing about NFL, but your comment sheds alot of light on the duplicity of Shawhting's comparison.
MTTM, it's a complicated saga where the opposing sides will never agree, but the list of controversies is large, and the defenders of Brady & the Patriots against the ball-tampering charges need to discredit the lengthy investigation by a scientific/engineering firm that usually tests far more important matters than sport (like engineering stuff that is life or death).
Last edited by K on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

All is not lost.
GWS could very well beat Richmond next week.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Prometheus wrote:All is not lost.
And the same forum flip-flopper doom-merchants will come out and post: oh that should have been us winning the GF! Well duh!

Ah, who gives a flying fphuck; I won't be watching anyhoo.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Prometheus wrote:All is not lost.
TBH, I could not care less who wins next week. The only interest I have in this game is: will GWS be smashed? It is my prediction that they will be, because they played their GF against us today.
Green and Whitfield will be back for them, but most likely they lose Davis.
My prediction: Bitchmond by 35 points
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
bokka

Post by bokka »

Woke up from an interesting dream and feeling pretty good.

Oh well nice first 3 seconds of the day!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:

Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins