Post Match. Pies pipped in Prelim. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

RudeBoy wrote:Basically the Giants out muscled us for most of the game except the last 20 minutes.

A few of our players get tossed around far too easily.

Hoskin-Elliott
Brown
Aish
Noble.

We lost this game because the giants wanted it more.

FFS, once again we got clobbered at clearances, despite having the dominant ruckman. This has been a recurring theme for about 3 yrs now.

Like everyone, I'm very disappointed, but as I've seen us lose 11 Grand finals, I no longer get shattered any more. It is what it is.
No, we lost because our midfield doesn’t have enough class. You have to stop blaming the fringe players and look right at the blokes that let us down worst. They’re all in the engine room. No doubt a couple of them were under the weather physically but they sure chose a poor occasion to spud it up for three quarters.
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Pies4shaw wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Streak wrote:Can we acknowledge that the coach many of you love to bash nearly dragged us over the line with a three-quarter-time rev-up?

I don't see what else, structurally, changed.
Mayne thrown forward. Mihocek should have been benched.
Now may not be the best time to try to start a coherent discussion but I have been very distressed with the way we have kept acquiring mids with the big money and trying to pick CHFs out of the bargain basement. Really, since we chased Dawes out the door, we have tried to make do with Lynch, White and Mihocek. We have no gun tall forward. We haven’t had one since we sent Travis packing. The worst aspect of it is that we haven’t even really been looking for one.

On what we witnessed today, you’d give back Treloar, WHE, Adams and Beams to trade in a quality big forward.
Amazing that we sent Travis packing and out there today was a bloke rucking that was older than him!!!
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

The reason we lost the prelim....

Post by woodys_world69 »

Yes..... The bottom 3 for stats in our team tonight...

As most people saw during the week I was very against having Reid in the team.... And checkers had to play a different game/position and it showed...

Yes the mids where down but that was to be expected after round 18.... And the coaches under estimated greenwoods importance in defense... And aish is a completely different defender....

It's okay if we lost because we didn't play well .. But it's the fact we lost by basic mistakes at the selection table :shock: [/b]
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Even Jason Cloke wouldn’t have helped us today, Eddiesmith. ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

mudlark wrote:We need some big changes to our list and No 1on the list is a full forward who can kick more than 40 metres and take a mark and contest. Lots more but that will be a great start..
For sure mudlark, but where is such a player????
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

shawthing wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:Clearly we need to recruit another key forward, but who can we get?
We had a chance to get Lynch last year but we needed more midget midfielders not KPPs. I give up. Recruiting is Buckley's real kryptonite.
I got the impression that Buckley opening his gob about talking to Lynch in Melbourne late in the season, thus causing animosity when he went back to GCS to front up, ultimately changed his mind to go to Bitchmond.

Anyhoo, looks like he made the correct decision now.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kymbo5@yahoo.com.au »

To those bagging Checkers.

Yes - he had little influence on the game today.

But - He has essentially carried the forward line this year, he is a big reason we won many games to get us to this point.

He is a fine key forward. We dont need to throw him away just yet.
kymbo
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

David wrote:Even Jason Cloke wouldn’t have helped us today, Eddiesmith. ;)
Are you kidding me? These are his damn conditions! We needed a hard nut who wasn't afraid to throw his body around in the wet! Even at 37 or whatever he is, he'd have put in more effort than most out there!

It is interesting actually on the big bodies, a lot was made of GWS picking too many talls in the wet, yet the one thing that stood out to me in the first half especially was their size was too much, we laid a lot of tackles, but most of them were ineffective.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:To those bagging Checkers.

But - He has essentially carried the forward line this year, he is a big reason we won many games to get us to this point.

Thank you kymbo. We need to remember the grand efforts of many players that got us into the PF in the first place.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Agree absolutely, and was in the process of typing a similar comment. He had a bad game tonight, but was not just due to him. It was due also to the fact that our mids were down for most of the game. He has been a gun in our forward line throughout the season. He does need however another tall to assist. Unfortunately, Ben Reid was unable to provide enough tonight.. Mihocek is the perfecgt second forward target...we need a first target so that Brodie can play to his true potential.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

shawthing wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
shawthing wrote: Mayne thrown forward. Mihocek should have been benched.
Now may not be the best time to try to start a coherent discussion but I have been very distressed with the way we have kept acquiring mids with the big money and trying to pick CHFs out of the bargain basement. Really, since we chased Dawes out the door, we have tried to make do with Lynch, White and Mihocek. We have no gun tall forward. We haven’t had one since we sent Travis packing. The worst aspect of it is that we haven’t even really been looking for one.

On what we witnessed today, you’d give back Treloar, WHE, Adams and Beams to trade in a quality big forward.
+ 100.

The Fox commentators are saying this result is absolutely disastrous for Collingwood. We might implode.
I don't see why. We weren't that good for most of the year, really. I'm sure the Fox commentary team would like us to implode but it's probably wishful thinking. There would have been a little more risk of implosion if we'd turned up and played with that little intensity next week.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

P4S, I agree our midfield lost it again. Despite having the dominant ruckman, we got clobbered in clearances. That is simply not good enough.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

PyreneesPie wrote:

Thank you kymbo. We need to remember the grand efforts of many players that got us into the PF in the first place.
I certainly don't think he should be bagged. He's a great trier, his effort is admirable and it isn't his fault he is unable to play big finals as a KPF. I blame the Club for thinking it is OK to go through other people's trash to find a CHF. His poor game today was a consequence of a deliberate recruiting strategy over a decade.
PyreneesPie

Re: The reason we lost the prelim....

Post by PyreneesPie »

woodys_world69 wrote: It's okay if we lost because we didn't play well .. But it's the fact we lost by basic mistakes at the selection table :shock: [/b]

Just pondering - could one of those be playing Aish instead of Schazz?
Maybe not, as our back line did a wonderful job regardless under extreme pressure.
TassiePie1990

Post by TassiePie1990 »

Midfield got smacked. DeBoer held Pendlebury all match. Needed others to step up or at least give a bit back to the tagger. Grundy smashed Mumford would of loved him to punch it to space though when GWS were locking it in for the last couple of minutes, in fairness he’d more than likely ran out of petrol though.
Those goal reviews sap your momentum big time when a team is hot