Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Another violent black man committing a mass shooting that gets ignored.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-teens-shot ... d=65309106

13% of the population committing 50% of the murder and you want to focus on whites? Why? What's your racist agenda?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^ David posted an article above about right wing males: I suggest you try reading it. It’s not too difficult to read. Essentially conservatives need to disown white supremacist racist terror. The rest is obfuscation.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Rubbish. If that's the case then Muslims have to disown radical islamic terror, Hindus have to disown Hindu nationalist violence and Jews have to disown the apartheid state violence of Israel.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Darn it. More shooting with guns. Who'd have thought people would use guns for shootings? :roll: :roll: :roll:
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Wokko wrote:Rubbish. If that's the case then Muslims have to disown radical islamic terror, Hindus have to disown Hindu nationalist violence and Jews have to disown the apartheid state violence of Israel.
I'd say that they all those groups should disown their fundamentalist "brethren".
kill for collingwood!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Wokko wrote:Rubbish. If that's the case then Muslims have to disown radical islamic terror, Hindus have to disown Hindu nationalist violence and Jews have to disown the apartheid state violence of Israel.
Rubbish, you're analogy is incorrect. You've gone from the a whole class to a speciic class, that is, rather than compare right wing conservatives to say other right wing conservative groups regarding ownership you've compared a specific group to a general group. A basic error of logic.

The correct analogy ought to have been what do right wing Muslims, Jews & Hindus do to disown .....

I can sure tell you that the vast majority of non-right wing Jews utterly condemn Netanyu's policies, the same applies for the other examples of left wing Hindus and left wing Muslims with respct to their relevant corrolaries.

Mind you, what was the actual background to the white male shooter in the most recent example in the US?
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Mental Illness.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/03/us/w ... index.html

He failed a background check to buy a gun, went to work in a "distressed mental state", got fired and went shooting.

No evidence of any political motivations.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

That’s the problem, no where near enough support for mental health, how many living on the street are there due to mental health problems?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well, most of them - except that the conservatives would have you believe that it is the “choice” or “fault” of the homeless. Like anyone who was capable of making a reasoned choice would choose that and anyone could possibly do anything that didn’t warrant imprisonment but did make them “deserve” to live on the streets.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The USA is very different to Australia
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

It sure is. Many simply cannot afford rent food etc, even some of the working poor live out of their cars, in some places the sheer size of the tent cities is terrifying. Not all of them have mental issues, but I bet a hell of a lot do.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

And, hey, whichever ones they do or don't report, every single one of those shootings was done with a gun.

Remarkable.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

You won't eradicate guns completely, although a lot stricter controls might be useful in the USA.

We still have plenty of guns in Australia. I have some. legal ones. But the USA is just messed up.

Not only do they have more guns than people in circulation, self defense laws in many states allow for "shoot first ask questions later"
think positive

Post by think positive »

Not to mention the killing capacity of what’s allowable in a lot of US states