#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Kill for Collingwood

Post by Kill for Collingwood »

He was everywhere on Friday doing everything.
Last years form.
If it continues look out!!!
Was as instrumental as BG in getting there last year.
Hopefully a repeat on cards.
Woodsman
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

This is hands down one of the worst threads I have ever read since joining Nicks.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Millane42 wrote:He and other senior players stood up finally - good to see. Crisp had a blinder but Pendles and sidey were terrific. It’s just so strange why they can’t do this week in week out
Yep, ‘cause if they could play solid footy week in week out, who knows, maybe Collingwood could, you know, be in the top couple of teams on the ladder. :shock:
E

Post by E »

WarrenerraW wrote:Keeps getting labelled as 'elite' but I don't see why. Yes, he does do some flukey stuff and can kick a goal but coughs the ball up time and time again with high up and under helicopter kicks. One of many who needs a kick up the arse.
Sidebottom IS elite. A star. A genius. Very valuable. We cant win a flag without him. ELITE!!!!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Only averaging 26 disposals per game in 2019 - and, so far as I can see, he hasn’t got a Brownlow vote at all, this year. At this rate, he’s going to finish up only just bettering his 2017 season. He only won the Copeland that year. No Coleman, no Brownlow. How do these guys get a game?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He was brilliant against the Eagles. Sidey you are a STAR!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

I’d like to hear who the people that want him dropped are going to bring in as a replacement - Broomhead?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

One of the coaches thought he was third-best on the ground against West Coast, behind Mihocek and either (depending upon which coach it was) Grundy or Pendles.

I only had him 4th, behind all of Mihocek, Pendlebury and Grundy.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

We all know Sidey's 2019 has not been as spectacular as his 2018. He is, however:

4th at the Club in the AFLCA votes (behind Grundy, Pendlebury and Treloar)
4th at the Club for total disposals (494 at an average of 26 per game, behind Treloar by a lot and Pendlebury and Crisp by a disposal or so per game)
5th at the Club for tackles (behind Treloar, Grundy, Pendlebury and Brown)
3rd at the Club for inside 50s (behind Pendlebury and Treloar)
4th at the Club for clearances (behind Treloar, Grundy and Pendlebury)
5th at the Club for contested possessions (behind Treloar, Grundy, Pendlebury and Crisp)
2nd for uncontested possessions (behind Treloar)
3rd at the Club for marks (behind Mihocek and Crisp)
2nd at the Club for bounces (behind Treloar)
7th at the Club for rebounds (only he and Crisp are this high in the rankings for both rebounds and inside 50s).

I understand, of course, that stats aren't everything (and there are, of course, others - I'm just running through the ones on Afl Tables) but anyone would think he was for the knackers, reading many of the comments on Nick's about him this year.

I wonder whether it is just the juxtaposition with his 2018 that is the problem. If you compare his 2019 with his 2017 (when he also won the Copeland), he's averaging one less disposal per game, having about the same number of marks, goals and tackles, getting more contested ball, having about the same number of effective possessions per game, having better disposal efficiency, doing more in the defensive part of the ground, spending slightly longer on the ground each week and gaining more metres, on average, each week.

There is a reasonable likelihood that - even if Collingwood doesn't make it past the first week of the finals - he will finish 2019 with more disposals than he has had in any season in his career, bar 2018 (when he played 26 games) and 2012 (when he played 24 games).

He is almost certain to have his 8th successive top 5 finish in the Copeland (last 7 were 1st, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 3rd and 4th). Given that his career has been played out over a period that overlaps with the most stellar parts of the stellar careers of Swan and Pendlebury (who, between them, have won 7 of the 8 Copelands that Sidebottom hasn't won since he started to play for Collingwood), this is an outstanding career.

It seems a shame that a few more of you don't afford him the respect his career obviously demands.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

P4S, as they say “ there are none more blind than those who choose not to see “ ( and spare me the Cox jokes please
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Play him as a high half forward as he did on Sunday where we get "goal value" for his possessions. 27 there are much more valuable than 36 in defensive areas.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

inxs88 wrote:Play him as a high half forward as he did on Sunday where we get "goal value" for his possessions. 27 there are much more valuable than 36 in defensive areas.
Greenwood, Adams and Wills allowed that. Previous weeks, Sidey’s been Eddie Everywhere out of necessity.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Steele Sidebottom leaving Hub

Post by inxs88 »

Might be partner pregnancy related.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Yeah his missus is due to give birth. Don’t blame him really.

Cue’s in the rack for the rest of the season I reckon. Brisbane’s getting the grand final anyway, which is b.s. even though I’d love for Collingwood to win a flag on that ground!
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Putting family first seems a no-brainer in 2020.