What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Cruising Netflix, i picked Journey to Mysterious Island.

Premise that the Mysterious Island in the Jules Vern novel is the same place as the Island in Gulliver's Travels and treasure island.

Lots of Jules Vern references, could have been so much more with a decent script and whoever wrote the dialogue should be shot,

Stars the Rock and Michael caine. I liked it, but it could have been so much better.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What does "it" refer to?
Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Culprit »

Bored Saturday night I stumbled on "The Life of Brian". It's still a great laugh.

The other day I watched "Green Book". A copy is available out there in torrent land. Download and enjoy.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Movie Doco, 'Free Solo'. If you have a fear of heights and suffer from vertigo, this one's not for you. Some of the shots literally took my breathe away. The man is an absolute freak!

https://youtu.be/96FUPTQeqYI
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, Nah. %$^ that. I don't mind going down hill provided you have the ropes and harness, but free climbing like that, 1 slip and you're a red stain on the rocks below. :shock:

Back to movies, up in Toc I watched the end of the world movie 2012, based around the Mayan prophesy.

Interesting premise, serious solar activity stirred up the earths molten core, resulting in the magnetic poles moving dramatically and the tectonic plates shifting causing some serious earthquakes and tsunamis.

Scariest thing is, the premise is possible.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Had a look at Meg over the weekend.

The premise is at least possible if not that plausible, but it was a good "park your brain" movie.

Looking forward to John Wick 3, I found this which details how the John Wick movie has changed or rebooted the action genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPTQlfPQo6o
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Also recently had a look at Creed 2 and Equaliser 2.

Creed 2 wasn't bad, borrowed a lot from both Rocky 3 and 4, could have been better.

Equaliser 2, I just don't remember. The first one was really good, this was just meh.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

This Chinese sci-fi movie has just premiered on Netflix, and it has a pretty hilarious premise:
The sun is dying out. The earth will soon be engulfed by the inflating sun. To save the human civilization, scientists draw up an escape plan that will bring the whole human race from danger. With the help of thousands of infusion powered engines, the planet earth will leave the solar system and embark on a 2,500 year journey to the orbit of a star 4.5 light years away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifijbykwDg
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Presti35 »

"One Day"

Was boring as hell until the last half hour.

I was expecting something better, but the last few scenes made it watchable.

Before that it was "Alien Vs Predator".
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Recently I've watched both Captain marvel movies. Captain Marvel and Shazam.

Enjoyed both
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I recently did the entire Marvel saga from Iron Man 1 all the way through to End Game which I saw in cinema.

Bloody brilliance.

From the DC universe, I have Justice League, Aquaman and Shazam to watch. Will get around to that eventually.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I'm waiting for Endgame on DVD.

On the DC movies, Justice League is not bad, loved Aquaman and Shazam was quirky and fun.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

stui magpie wrote:I'm waiting for Endgame on DVD.
Not long to wait now. Release date = August 14th.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

A few months ago went to the local Palace cinema and saw Burning, a South Korean film. https://www.palacecinemas.com.au/movies/burning/ Not bad at all.

I'm going through (albeit slowly) a Korean film & TV stage

I highly recommend "The Stranger" on Netflix; a TV series. You do have to put up with a bit of overacting / melodrama but it's a terrific series with mostly brilliant acting and cinematography. Great writing and music. You do need to concentrate because of the subtitles.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman