#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Probably the worst deal we could have done, unfortunately GC gave Brisbane a helping hand and we lost any leverage we had.

We will see next year if it pays off
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

I get why Dayne wanted to get back to Melbourne, but I can't quite understand why he insisted it had to be Collingwood. I mean he didn't actually leave for Brisbane with everyone's good will and blessings, least of all Bucks.

I am a little puzzled by what has emotionally pulled him back to the Pies.
Is it because of the good relationship he had with Geoff Walsh, who was like a father figure to him when he was a young, rather wayward lad?
Does he still have strong friendships with any of the players?
Is it because this is where he started and he is reckoning on that "going home" factor getting him back on track after the loss of his father?
All very interesting.

Anyway, I'm pleased he's back and hope it does translate into the best and deepest mid-field ever seen at the Pies.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Read reports a few days back saying that he's still close mates with Sidey and through Sidey, he's been able to rekindle his friendship with Bucks. The motivation of returning to Melbourne was mostly for the sake of his wife whose family is from here.

I have to admit the video message from him felt hollow considering he was full of praise Brisbane and his teammates only a few weeks back at their best and fairest night. I can understand the Lions supporters being somewhat pissed off with him.

Anyway, it's great to have him back and hopefully he's the missing ingredient we need to win a flag next year.
Last edited by Jezza on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Rick wrote:Any room for Claye in our VFL side for 2019?
Rumours already starting... I came in here to say that, but you've beaten me to it. 8)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Well done boys!
K
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

You also have to ask how much Beams is worth now compared with then. He hasn't been in some deep-freeze like Han Solo the last few years.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Jezza wrote:^ Read reports a few days back saying that he's still close mates with Sidey and through Sidey, he's been able to rekindle his friendship with Bucks. The motivation of returning to Melbourne was mostly for the sake of his wife whose family is from here.

I have to admit the video message from him felt hollow considering he was full of praise Brisbane and his teammates only a few weeks back at their best and fairest not. Can understand the Lions supporters being somewhat pissed off with him.

Anyway, it's great to have him back and hopefully he's the missing ingredient we need to win a flag next year.
Aaah, didn't realize that Sidey was such a good mate. Well, that will surely help settle him back into the team.

Having just watched his interview, I think he answered some of my personal
"misgivings" about why he could have said what he did at the Brisbane B & F and why it had to be Collingwood. It seems he actually does have a big emotional tie to the club where it all started. Hope that in turn means he plays his guts out for the black and white next year!! I think it will. :)
K

Post by K »

^ How one reacts to the claim SS helped "repair" DB's "strained" relationship with the coach depends on whether you are a glass half-full or a glass half-empty kind of person.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

K wrote:Golly, that really is getting overly sentimental.
After that video I needed the tissues, and junior cried with me!

I love roller coasters! Going up up UP
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

K wrote:^ How one reacts to the claim SS helped "repair" DB's "strained" relationship with the coach depends on whether you are a glass half-full or a glass half-empty kind of person.
True!!

It was one factor I found hard to understand when Beams said it had to be Collingwood or nothing ie the Bucks factor.

However, I guess a lot of water has flowed under the bridge for both of them in the past four years. Both would've learnt some hard life lessons and maybe they will do it better the second time around.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Last edited by doriswilgus on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.