#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Beams doesn't push out Sier IMO.

He pushes out a Greenwood, Mayne, Aish or Varcoe and we rearrange the side to suit whoever it is.

P.S-Not sure how many times it has to be stated but we aren't giving up pick 18 and will merely take the same player we would have at that selection with later picks.

If a bid doesn't come prior to 18 then so be it but rest assured we are still getting a player we were happy to match for and have another in Kelly likely to receive a 2nd round bid.

To many people seemingly only like a trade scenario if their side looks to be a clear winner in it rather than just be happy with a negotiated outcome that is fair for both.

Our potential willingness to give pick 18 and a 2019 1st round selection for Beams and picks for points is entirely because we have access to Quaynor/Kelly and know that in this scenario the real trade cost for Beams is the 2019 selection included.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 93 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I beg to differ with most on this. To me, as good as our midfield is, we got beaten by the Eagles twice in the finals when their mids got on top in the last quarters of each game. Their ability to dampen Pendles and Sidey ultimately cost us a Premiership. Getting Beams would considerably strengthen the depth of our midfield group, by adding an 'A' grader, who is a goal kicker - something our current mids don't do often enough.

While getting May would be a very good acquisition, the fact is our depleted defence held up remarkably well through the finals, and next year we should have Dunn and Moore available, which will give us the strength and height we need. Finally, as good as May is, he is not an 'A' grade defender like Rance, Hurn or McGovern.

Remember, we are also planning to recruit Kelly who is a key defender. All in all, I'd love to secure both Beams and May, but if I had to choose, I'd go for Beams.
Rush Stand Wing

Post by Rush Stand Wing »

The way I see it, Beams gives us flexibity where its most needed. Sidey and JDG can spend more time forward and Pendles more time off half back. Sier wouldnt be pushed out. Beams is also a great first user and big body and weve been exposed in that area in last minutes of games especially the 2 finals against WCE.

May is a bit overrated in my opinion and with Moore and Reid will be like new recruits next year.
Woods

Post by Woods »

Pies2016 wrote:
Skids wrote:
melliot wrote:Is it ironic that we drafted Beams originally with Pick 25? Yet some here think giving up 18 and next years 1st rounder say (10-19), is not expensive. Everyone is after the instant gratification. Instead of showing some patience with a kid for 2-3 years.

Beams (A+) adds to Midfield, but simply pushes out another reasonable good Midfielder, like Sier (B). So the gain is limited. Sier has taken 3 years to get there, but looks like he has an awesome 7+ years in front of him. And he was pick 35ish.

Bringing in May would be a big improvement to the team, as we are weak in that area.

I think Beams will get done. So I'm arguing against the inevitable here. I just think we are trading in (at an expensive cost) for an excess that will have limited team improvement and not a need that could make a significant difference to the team.
Agree totally! We do not need a Beams type to improve, we need a key back.
This is fanciful stuff and I'm very surprised the club even entertained this idea, let alone pursuing it the way they are.
+ 1
+ 2

Be more value in trying to recruit Usain Bolt and put him on a wing - could run from centre wing to the goal square in about 7 seconds. Who needs forwards.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Agree with Swoop and Rush, there is no way on earth Beams would push out Sier. More likely if that was the case Beams would go straight to the half forward line and rotate in the midfield.

Barring injuries we have a incredibly strong and deep midfield, a dynamic forward line and a serviceable defense. That's going to make us a serious contender again 100% in 2019.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I'm worried that if we miss out on Quaynor or another young gun trading for Beams, that in 2 years time when that kid's flying, and we have Beams retiring injured and no flag...
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Can Beams play in the back line?
melliot

Post by melliot »

Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

melliot, that's what also worries me. We weren't looking at Beams when trade started, but only decided to get interested after media kept pushing it and Beams finally said yeah he'll move if a trade can be done. It's opportunistic, and I'd rather we stay focused on what we planned going in. As good as Beams would be with mid/forward rotations, we need KPPs.

Or is this all sly and the club (ie, Sidey) has been quietly talking to Beams all year?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mr Miyagi wrote:melliot, that's what also worries me. We weren't looking at Beams when trade started, but only decided to get interested after media kept pushing it and Beams finally said yeah he'll move if a trade can be done. It's opportunistic, and I'd rather we stay focused on what we planned going in. As good as Beams would be with mid/forward rotations, we need KPPs.

Or is this all sly and the club (ie, Sidey) has been quietly talking to Beams all year?
We don't know that the Club wasn't looking at/talking to him. They offered a first rounder and next year's second rounder for him without blinking, so presumably they had been alive to the possibility for long enough to do those calculations.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Rush Stand Wing

Post by Rush Stand Wing »

^^ Beamer and the Club have been planning this since mid season.

In my opinion, forward lines are now much quicker and more agile. You only have to look back at Stevo turning May inside out earlier in the year to see how a big bodied (and slow) KPB can actually be a liability thesedays.

Im still perplexed at all the talk of our defensive holes in this area. This year alone, we've had Langdon Howe Goldsack play taller successfully and there is still Moore Reid and Dunn to look at. By the time Reid breaks down again Dunny should available. How many KPB do we want?

McLarty, Will Kelly (should safely get him) and the two irish rookies (who are better than most think), are the future.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Woods wrote:...
Be more value in trying to recruit Usain Bolt and put him on a wing - could run from centre wing to the goal square in about 7 seconds. Who needs forwards.
Unfortunately, he'd need to get the ball and bounce the ball, unless we rename him "Jetta", in which case bouncing the ball is optional.

I also predict that if Bolt came to our club he'd rip his hamstrings off the bone.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

So if it gets to 6pm and a deal for Beams looks very unlikely can anyone think of a realistic trade for pick 18 and a future selection that could be of benefit?

Any teams have high calibre FS/Academy prospects next season?

Perhaps if Geelong or West Coast did we could land picks 20 and 22 for pick 18 and a future 2nd.

Pick 20 would cover a bid for Quaynor from pick 15 onwards while 22 should remain live before a bid for Kelly came.

Adelaide with pick 21 though could potentially be a problem with 1 Kelly brother already on the list.

Pick 18 and future 1st to Fremantle for pick 11 and 30.

Potentially risky but a bid for Quaynor unlikely prior to this point. Pick 30 would deliver 620pts.

Pick 18 might be enough for Fremantle to satisfy GWS for Lobb.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!