#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

K wrote:^ Why are you so sure we would waste pick 18?
Not through bad player selection.

By having to use first pick in the draft to match a Quaynor selection by another club.
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
K wrote:^ Why are you so sure we would waste pick 18?
Not through bad player selection.

By having to use first pick in the draft to match a Quaynor selection by another club.
Which is possible, but by no means certain. He would have to be bid on ahead of pick 18.
All We Can Be
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

So ok let say we don't get Beams, and don't get May as we obviously can't afford him unless we use both pick 18 and a player of worth (which no one has yet to put forward any names who's in the 'lets just get May at all costs club').

That then doesn't leave us much we can do with our pick 18 other then to trade it for a few lesser picks, or try to draft someone else who (?) most likely isn't of the quality of Beams or May.

I think what I'd really like to hear other then 'Just get May' is some realistic suggestions on how that would actually get done??
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Beware the swooping Magpie.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

While in different circumstances I would have prefered May, his call to go anywhere in Victoria seems to me to be designed to up the pressure on Fremantle.

In the current context we have Roughhead as well of course of Moore and Reid if required.

We've put in a bid to Brisbane (my only concern is the opening gambit was a bit high in my view) to acquire Beams. It seems it will go for 2 first round picks for Beams & a second round pick back to us next year.

The cynical amongst us would say this will happen with Collingwood, Freo, Dees & Brisbane to exchange picks and players when the last few hours are telecast on Fox tomorrow evening.

I still have reservations about Beams given his depresion and anxiety, ( he missed a game against Port Adelaide due to anxiety), his I love ewes all moments with his team in the B & F (when he already knew that his Brother would be delisted) and his now changed view that he could leave his best buddies and come to Melbourne.

I truly hope he has overcome some of his demons (as we must next year) and it was a great move on his part to publicly reveal his battle. I hope he has learned to manage the awful symptoms he had been experiencing.

If he is to come then I'll be right behind him as I would ( as I'm sure we all will) with any player coming to the mighty pies.

Go pies
Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Well done boys!
K

Post by K »

^ See my previous post. The point is: it's supposed to be fair regardless of whether we have pick 18 or not.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

It's not fair. Never has been. Being able to match an early bid by putting later picks together is nothing like fair value. But that's the system, we have to use it.

My post above is on the assumption that a club bids on Quaynor before pick 18. That looks fairly likely.
Well done boys!
K

Post by K »

That's not entirely clear. e.g. Pick 18 is supposed to be roughly worth picks 35 and 38. Would someone do that trade now? Maybe. Maybe it depends on shape of the draftee cohort. If there's a standout top 10 and then the next 30 are pretty level, you're better with the later two picks.
Last edited by K on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

All We Can Be
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Beware the swooping Magpie.